Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Does the POTUS actually have to present policy proposals?

I have been noticing something during the Trump Administration that is significantly different from its predecessors in my adult lifetime. I am in my 40's, so although I'm not old, I have been around for awhile. I understand that Congress passes laws, but I am accustomed to the White House actually coming up with detailed policies that they would proactively propose. I am talking about actual thought out plans, and not one page bullet point outlines or tweets. I don't see the Trump White House producing any actual policy documents. They produce very high level outlines, and then complain if the Congress doesn't pass legislation. Isn't that the definition of "leading from behind"?
    Last edited by Dirt1; 10-09-2017 at 01:16 PM.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Re: Does the POTUS actually have to present policy proposals?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I have been noticing something during the Trump Administration that is significantly different from its predecessors in my adult lifetime. I am in my 40's, so although I'm not old, I have been around for awhile. I understand that Congress passes laws, but I am accustomed to the White House actually coming up with detailed policies that they would proactively propose. I am talking about actual thought out plans, and not one page bullet point outlines or tweets. I don't see the Trump White House producing any actual policy documents. They produce very high level outlines, and then complain if the Congress doesn't pass legislation. Isn't that the definition of "leading from behind"?
    I believe previous administrations would deliver fully written legislation for congress to do what they would with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I believe previous administrations would deliver fully written legislation for congress to do what they would with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Exactly. You knew where previous administrations stood on major issues, and you could see how they were engaged and leading towards their desired outcome. The Trump White House isn't doing any of that. They either don't know what is in bills proposed in Congress or don't care, or maybe both. It seems like all they want is a political win, without engaging on policies that impact huge parts of our economy. That is not acceptable. The President needs to lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

I don't get the point of it. Especially in this political climate. It's not like either side would have anything to do with Trump

Exactly. You knew where previous administrations stood on major issues, and you could see how they were engaged and leading towards their desired outcome. The Trump White House isn't doing any of that. They either don't know what is in bills proposed in Congress or don't care, or maybe both. It seems like all they want is a political win, without engaging on policies that impact huge parts of our economy. That is not acceptable. The President needs to lead.

Really? Haven't they been trying?

It's October. For the last 7 months at least, everything related to healthcare has been a lot of the focus. It was denied multiple times.. Now, they are trying to push through tax reform.

Senator Corker openly admitted that the GOP is openly trying to squash every part of the Trump agenda so this administration doesn't accomplish what it wants to. Unlike other administrations, this is unprecedented. Not making excuses. Just pointing out the facts.

In a checks and balances setup, I'd say that 90% of the government doesn't want this administration to succeed. Kinda tough to change/make laws when everyone else in government doesn't want to.

Blog Entries

Compared to a 2000 page document like Obamacare, which was drawn up by lawyers and sitting on a shelf over years of planning and then rammed up our ass I'll take Trump's Twitter approach. Who can forget "We have to pass the bill to see what's in it" line that Pelosi used? That's like "You have to sign this mortgage to find out how much your house will cost".

The IS NO Free Lunch. Somebody will pay. We are 20 Trillion in debt. Trump is a businessman. He can find a way to start to fix this economy if it isn't already too late. Obama doubled our debt and the infrastructure is crumbling. Where did that 10 Trillion go?
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Really? Haven't they been trying?

It's October. For the last 7 months at least, everything related to healthcare has been a lot of the focus. It was denied multiple times.. Now, they are trying to push through tax reform.

Senator Corker openly admitted that the GOP is openly trying to squash every part of the Trump agenda so this administration doesn't accomplish what it wants to. Unlike other administrations, this is unprecedented. Not making excuses. Just pointing out the facts.

In a checks and balances setup, I'd say that 90% of the government doesn't want this administration to succeed. Kinda tough to change/make laws when everyone else in government doesn't want to.
    Yes, really. Health care finance is the field in which I work. I have worked in this field for over 20 years of my life. The US spent over $3.3 trillion on health care in 2016. That is about one sixth of the US economy. Major overhauls to something that big require more than one page of bullet points. That is not a real plan. Same with tax reform.

Do you honestly believe that Trump even understood what was in the two GOP health care bills? Is it too much to ask that the White House actually come out with some real policy proposals that are well thought out, and that at least display that they understand the implications of what is being debated?

Yes, really. Health care finance is the field in which I work. I have worked in this field for over 20 years of my life. The US spent over $3.3 trillion on health care in 2016. That is about one sixth of the US economy. Major overhauls to something that big require more than one page of bullet points. That is not a real plan. Same with tax reform.

Do you honestly believe that Trump even understood what was in the two GOP health care bills? Is it too much to ask that the White House actually come out with some real policy proposals that are well thought out, and that at least display that they understand the implications of what is being debated?

Do you honestly think any administration does? Especially healthcare. Wasn't it Nancy Pelosi who admitted that they didn't know what was in the original ACA but still wanted it signed into law? Are you presuming that the prior administration knew the in's and out's of that bill? If they did, f**k them. If they didn't, f**k them.

With regards to tax reform, I bet that Trump has been super influencial on that piece of legislation. Probably moreso than any POTUS since Reagan. That's his area of expertise. Clearly, I have no way of knowing this, but...neither do you.

The POTUS isn't a lawmaker. That's Congress' job. He can't force them to do their job. Only they can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Do you honestly think any administration does? Especially healthcare. Wasn't it Nancy Pelosi who admitted that they didn't know what was in the original ACA but still wanted it signed into law? Are you presuming that the prior administration knew the in's and out's of that bill? If they did, f**k them. If they didn't, f**k them.

With regards to tax reform, I bet that Trump has been super influencial on that piece of legislation. Probably moreso than any POTUS since Reagan. That's his area of expertise. Clearly, I have no way of knowing this, but...neither do you.

The POTUS isn't a lawmaker. That's Congress' job. He can't force them to do their job. Only they can.
    The White House has put out a one page outline on tax reform. Shocking.

Yeah, Trump is all over that tax reform bill (his area of expertise).

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...eficit-2017-10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I don't get the point of it. Especially in this political climate. It's not like either side would have anything to do with Trump
    But I thought he was great at making deals? He works with everyone, right?

Policy direction, vision and leadership?
    Nah. Challenging Rex Tillerson to an IQ test is far more MAGA-like.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

But I thought he was great at making deals? He works with everyone, right?
    Its almost as if people are deliberately ignoring the economic growth that is currently going on in this country. I get not liking the guy. There is a ton to dislike...as there was a ton to dislike about his predecessor and the predecessor before him and so forth and so on. To ignore what's currently going on economically is just plain silly. It all benefits us (most of us)...the working class.