Blog Entries

Balanced Nutrition.

It's been a while since I saw the Health and Fitness thread. I wanted to start this particular thread, for anyone looking to get into better shape or better maintain what they have. I was once a Certified Personal Trainer. We, like some others, were always taught that health and fitness is 80% nutritional. I don't believe to be capable of overstating how right they are. As many of you know, I was injured on the job over a year ago and still have not been cleared to return to the gym or go running the way that I used to. I am very limited in what I can do. Some may know that I was an avid fitness guy before the injuries, but eventually lost a significant amount of lean muscle mass while recovering. My body fat shot up. I had to do something. So, I took my nutrition to an entirely new level. I just wanted to share my regimen with everyone, in the case that it may be helpful or if anyone has any ideas on what I may be missing.

My regimen is 4-5 times a week. I used to strive for more, but realized that my cheat days actually have a better psychological effect on me than I thought, because I can become possessive. Getting into modes where I'm not putting enough fat back into my system to keep up with my metabolism from eating so well. The core of my regimen is as follows:

7-10 Fruits/Vegetables per day: My mainstays are a serving of steamed spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli and Kale. A handful of raw radishes and a raw Carrot. I wash the vegetables down with orange juice. A banana, usually washed down with nut milk (Almond, Macadamia). That's my core seven. Any extra will usually be fruit. Either blackberries, blueberries, rasberries and/or an orange. Some combination of 2-3 of those.

This, in particular, provides me with all of the vitamins that I need daily. Vitamin, A, C, K and my B Vitamins.

1/2 Cup of assorted nuts and seeds: Walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (raw, organic, unsalted), pine nuts, peanuts and one brazil nut (For selenium). I might eat a little more, but 1/2 cup is a baseline. This provides me with the vast majority of healthy fats that I need daily, as well as most of the minerals that I need. Manganese, Magnesium, Selenium, etc.

One bowl of Kashi Shredded Wheat: One bowl provides all of the whole grains that I need in a day.

Cup of Beet Juice and Cup of Vegetable Juice: I'm not sure if many are familiar with the brand that I use for my vegetable juice, but the two combined provide a quarter of the potassium that I need daily. Among other benefits.

A lot of water

My vitamin E, vitamin D and calcium I get from all of the various sources.

More than ever, my body is working on all cylinders. Much like a team. Rather than just trying to jack myself up on one vitamin or mineral, due to reading about it's benefit, while my body is starved of other nutrients and unsuccessfully tries to compensate, it's working like a well oiled machine. Now that I have a truly balanced regimen.

EDIT: I also eat a Siggi's Yogurt daily. I eat the plain. So, that's about 17g of protein to 4g of sugar. My dinner is usually the protein packed meal.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 09-30-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Balanced Nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's been a while since I saw the Health and Fitness thread. I wanted to start this particular thread, for anyone looking to get into better shape or better maintain what they have. I was once a Certified Personal Trainer. We, like some others, were always taught that health and fitness is 80% nutritional. I don't believe to be capable of overstating how right they are. As many of you know, I was injured on the job over a year ago and still have not been cleared to return to the gym or go running the way that I used to. I am very limited in what I can do. Some may know that I was an avid fitness guy before the injuries, but eventually lost a significant amount of lean muscle mass while recovering. My body fat shot up. I had to do something. So, I took my nutrition to an entirely new level. I just wanted to share my regimen with everyone, in the case that it may be helpful or if anyone has any ideas on what I may be missing.

My regimen is 4-5 times a week. I used to strive for more, but realized that my cheat days actually have a better psychological effect on me than I thought, because I can become possessive. Getting into modes where I'm not putting enough fat back into my system to keep up with my metabolism from eating so well. The core of my regimen is as follows:

7-10 Fruits/Vegetables per day: My mainstays are a serving of steamed spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli and Kale. A handful of raw radishes and a raw Carrot. I wash the vegetables down with orange juice. A banana, usually washed down with nut milk (Almond, Macadamia). That's my core seven. Any extra will usually be fruit. Either blackberries, blueberries, rasberries and/or an orange. Some combination of 2-3 of those.

This, in particular, provides me with all of the vitamins that I need daily. Vitamin, A, C, K and my B Vitamins.

1/2 Cup of assorted nuts and seeds: Walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (raw, organic, unsalted), pine nuts, peanuts and one brazil nut (For selenium). I might eat a little more, but 1/2 cup is a baseline. This provides me with the vast majority of healthy fats that I need daily, as well as most of the minerals that I need. Manganese, Magnesium, Selenium, etc.

One bowl of Kashi Shredded Wheat: One bowl provides all of the whole grains that I need in a day.

Cup of Beet Juice and Cup of Vegetable Juice: I'm not sure if many are familiar with the brand that I use for my vegetable juice, but the two combined provide a quarter of the potassium that I need daily. Among other benefits.

A lot of water

More than ever, my body is working on all cylinders. Much like a team. Rather than just trying to jack myself up on one vitamin or mineral, due to reading about it's benefit, while my body is starved of other nutrients and unsuccessfully tries to compensate, it's working like a well oiled machine. Now that I have a truly balanced regimen.
    Brussels sprouts FTW!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Brussels sprouts FTW!

What I do is steam a bag of each all at once and then put each in a container for the fridge. I'm still single, so I have to fend for myself. Each bag is generally four servings. So, if I can manage to go four straight days on my regimen, I'm good.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

What I do is steam a bag of each all at once and then put each in a container for the fridge. I'm still single, so I have to fend for myself. Each bag is generally four servings. So, if I can manage to go four straight days on my regimen, I'm good.
    I roast them with a little olive or sunflower oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper... sometimes balsamic vinegar. so good

Blog Entries

I roast them with a little olive or sunflower oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper... sometimes balsamic vinegar. so good

I haven't tried any recipes yet. Like I said, I can become obsessive. So, I went straight to eating my vegetables raw or steamed. I've even been known to eat raw asparagus from time to time. Nastiest shit I've ever eaten in my life.

It's not easy keeping the regimen, but I've seen the benefit. If I combined my new regimen with the way I used to train before I got hurt, you'd probably want me drug tested. Also, my sugar levels and blood pressure are both great.

I haven't tried any recipes yet. Like I said, I can become obsessive. So, I went straight to eating my vegetables raw or steamed. I've even been known to eat raw asparagus from time to time. Nastiest shit I've ever eaten in my life.

It's not easy keeping the regimen, but I've seen the benefit. If I combined my new regimen with the way I used to train before I got hurt, you'd probably want me drug tested. Also, my sugar levels and blood pressure are both great.
    I can eat veggies raw but for dinner I prefer roasted. I'm pretty thin so I probably need the extra fat from the oil

Blog Entries

I can eat veggies raw but for dinner I prefer roasted. I'm pretty thin so I probably need the extra fat from the oil

Are those the main two oils you use? I cook with Safflower Oil or Grapeseed oil. What do you usually cook with?

Are those the main two oils you use? I cook with Safflower Oil or Grapeseed oil. What do you usually cook with?
    yup mostly those. I've heard good things about grapeseed though... maybe I should try!

Blog Entries

yup mostly those. I've heard good things about grapeseed though... maybe I should try!

I'm not the most professional cook in the world. So, much of what I cook is simple and usually done at high temperatures. I chose those two, because I heard they are both good at high temperatures. When it comes to salads and so forth, however, I'm with you on the Olive Oil.

Check out avocado oil. It has a a higher smoke point than olive oil and is also more neutral in flavor. It's also less omega 6 heavy than safflower and grapeaeed. They have it at Costco.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A lot of water

Are you vegetarian, or just leaving the proteins out of your diet description?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Are you vegetarian, or just leaving the proteins out of your diet description?

My dinner meal is usually the protein packed meal of the day. I forgot to add that, but will make the edit. Once the body is getting a sufficient amount of all the various essential vitamins and minerals it needs, it needs far less protein than generally thought. I stay around .66 per pound. I weigh 180. Between all of the fruits and vegetables and orange juice, that's 20g right there. The nuts and seeds are at least another 10g. The cereal and milk (The milk I use has less sugar and more protein than most milks) is another 20g. The beet juice and vegetable juice is another 5g. So, that already puts me at 55g.

Later on, I'll have a Siggi's Yogurt, which is 17g. That puts me at 72. If I have a grassfed beef burger, when you account for the cheese, beef and bun, that's another 50g right there. I'm pretty much at my goal.

If I feel like I didn't get enough throughout the day, I'll have some lowfat cottage cheese about an hour before bed.