Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: American Legion and Veterans of foreign wars condemn the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    1) Once again, burning the flag, which I don't particularly like, is a free expression protected by 1A. The SC has ruled as such, thus nullifying silly local laws against free expression. So while defending the flag in such instances may fill one with patriotic ferver (and I get that), such folks are also freely choosing to completely ignore 1A.

2) I'm pretty sure the 'patriot crowd'--as a mass--hasn't ever had anything to say about the millions of merchants that use the flag and snippets of the anthem to make a buck. Where have they been in our lifetimes?
    No one has argued kneeling or burning doesn't fall under protected speech under 1A. However, it doesn't make it right. That patriot crowd has been around a long time and didn't care for/opposed strongly disrespecting the flag/anthem. It's not new to this situation.

Blog Entries

1) Once again, burning the flag, which I don't particularly like, is a free expression protected by 1A. The SC has ruled as such, thus nullifying silly local laws against free expression. So while defending the flag in such instances may fill one with patriotic ferver (and I get that), such folks are also freely choosing to completely ignore 1A.

2) I'm pretty sure the 'patriot crowd'--as a mass--hasn't ever had anything to say about the millions of merchants that use the flag and snippets of the anthem to make a buck. Where have they been in our lifetimes?
    So you don't particularly like the burning of the flag? So you yourself have a standard as to what you think is respectful to the flag and what isn't?

Yet you think others shouldn't be upset that players are protesting during the anthem?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So you don't particularly like the burning of the flag? So you yourself have a standard as to what you think is respectful to the flag and what isn't?

Yet you think others shouldn't be upset that players are protesting during the anthem?
    I can't wait to read BigPlayReceiver's response to this...

If its ok for people to kneel it's also ok for people to say fuck them.

Thats not hypocrisy, that as has been stated with the kneelers, is their 1st amendment right.

Winging about people winging about the kneelers. People then in turn winge about the wingers.

What was the message from the kneeling again? Can someone remind me?

Sweet Jesus. Seriously? In what world, time and place does "not liking something" automatically equal "find disrespectful"?

I don't like it b/c I think burning anything to show displeasure is juvenile.

Yet, burning the flag is also incredibly ironic and runs counter to the ignorant simpletons that do it in anger.
    Burning the flag happens to be the primary way to properly dispose of it (provided you also stand-to, and sing a few bars of your favorite patriotic song).

Go put words in someone else's mouth.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

good point.

I think a lot of this boils down to respect. Some parents teach their kids respect and others don't. A lof of people in this current social climate/society lack the respect and integrity that prior generations have. Because of social media, lazy parenting, the media, etc...whatever the cause...I think that's why this is all happening.

People used to always be respectful of other people's opinions. Now, if you disagree, you are vilified and called a racist or a Nazi or a white supremacist. Again, with respect comes love. With love comes unity.

Hopefully, this weekend...the most powerful sports entity on earth will display the respect that we (the people who pay for their service) deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    No one has argued kneeling or burning doesn't fall under protected speech under 1A. However, it doesn't make it right. That patriot crowd has been around a long time and didn't care for/opposed strongly disrespecting the flag/anthem. It's not new to this situation.
    But it is being argued--indirectly, when anyone says in effect, "Don't protest like that!"

Yet, it was a decorated vet that personally asked Kap to kneel vice sit b/c the soldier (who actually supports Kap in all of this) said that it would be a sign of respect. Kap agreed.

Also, in mentioning "right" (and implicity, "wrong"), I think that's only fit for debates/discussions around morality. I don't think it's right for a guy to 1) not only ever wear a star-spangled bandanna, but 2) to keep it on his head during the anthem. Yet, I don't assume that the guy is necessarily morally deficient either. I just think he's an @sshole.

So yeah, it's strange how the "uber-patriots" have been soooo quiet about the millions of disrespectful acts/uses/displays of the flag/anthem that have orbited their lives, but are so upset about this one.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Sweet Jesus. Seriously? In what world, time and place does "not liking something" automatically equal "find disrespectful"?

Yet, burning the flag is also incredibly ironic and runs counter to the ignorant simpletons that do it in anger.
    Burning the flag happens to be the primary way to properly dispose of it (provided you also stand-to, and sing a few bars of your favorite patriotic song).

Go put words in someone else's mouth.
    Ok, whether you find it disrespectful or juvenile, you're still judging the actions of what someone is doing with the flag.

Why is right for you to think it's juvenile and for someone else to think kneeling is disrespectful?

But it is being argued--indirectly, when anyone says in effect, "Don't protest like that!"

Yet, it was a decorated vet that personally asked Kap to kneel vice sit b/c the soldier (who actually supports Kap in all of this) said that it would be a sign of respect. Kap agreed.

Also, in mentioning "right" (and implicity, "wrong"), I think that's only fit for debates/discussions around morality. I don't think it's right for a guy to 1) not only ever wear a star-spangled bandanna, but 2) to keep it on his head during the anthem. Yet, I don't assume that the guy is necessarily morally deficient either. I just think he's an @sshole.

So yeah, it's strange how the "uber-patriots" have been soooo quiet about the millions of disrespectful acts/uses/displays of the flag/anthem that have orbited their lives, but are so upset about this one.
    Nope, the 'uber patriots' have complained often when the believed the flag/anthem was being disrespected. Again, this is not new. No matter how often you try and make it be, it's not.

Ok, whether you find it disrespectful or juvenile, you're still judging the actions of what someone is doing with the flag.

Why is right for you to think it's juvenile and for someone else to think kneeling is disrespectful?

We all make judgments. Thousands a day.
    We all have our senses of right and wrong.
    People can think whatever they want. What people think is not my issue--and never will be, on any socio-political topic such as this.
    I may question it for understanding (like I did upthread), but that's it.

It's the hypocrisy and ignorance in-action that is the silly part of all of this.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 09-27-2017 at 05:22 PM.

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Nope, the 'uber patriots' have complained often when the believed the flag/anthem was being disrespected. Again, this is not new. No matter how often you try and make it be, it's not.

So folks have been boycotting Wal-Mart, Publix, Target, Mattress Discounters, Dunkin Donuts, Proctor Gamble, Kraft, Harley-Davidson, and on-and-on since...when exactly?

@BigPlayReceiver

You want to make the players stop kneeling? Listen to the concerns of the community they are ostensibly representing and then do something about it. Them kneeling SHOULD make you feel uncomfortable, but not for the reason it is. It should make you angry that people feel the need to do something like this because there are societal issues across the board that need to be addressed.

That being said, unless the protesting side has some feasible ideas for how to address these issues, it's all just noise. Noise doesn't get anything done. You've got the attention. DO something with it!