Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive tempo

1. Offensive tempo

Since the Ravens game was over quite early on Sunday (even before the final whistle), I was able to catch a lot of 1pm games on the Redzone channel. One thing that I noticed, is they all seem to have a faster tempo than the Ravens. I'm not talking about a hurry-up or no huddle offense but most just execute their plays faster than the Ravens O. I swear when watching our O play it seems like every single player is stuck in the mud. I rarely see quick executing plays.

I understand that Joe is definitely not one of the quickest or most athletic QBs in the league. But watching Carlson Palmer (5 years older than Joe) last night actually move and execute much faster than Joe is frustrating.

BTW, this isn't just about Joe. I never see receivers getting to open space quick enough or a RB besides Collins who actually has quickness and speed.

Please tell me I'm not the only one seeing this.

Blog Entries

Re: Offensive tempo

To run a quick offense, you do need Flacco to move at a faster pace. Actually, based on Flacco's history, he plays better when moved at a faster pace. We've seen him in the Sugar huddle. From a pure passing perspective, that is when he's been at his best with his footwork, going through his reads, his release and pre-snap reads.

Along with that, you need pass catchers who can run sharp routes. Right now, the team really doesn't have that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Allegedly Flacco is 3rd in the league in 'quick pass attempts' and I noticed Eli was releasing the ball very soon after snap - like 2 seconds.

But with the Ravens they do meander around, no urgency, up to the line, hut hut. When it's finally snapped they throw the 2 yard pass pretty quickly.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Allegedly Flacco is 3rd in the league in 'quick pass attempts' and I noticed Eli was releasing the ball very soon after snap - like 2 seconds.

But with the Ravens they do meander around, no urgency, up to the line, hut hut. When it's finally snapped they throw the 2 yard pass pretty quickly.
    Yeah, that's what he's talking about and I have to admit that it's been a bother to me as well. Flacco has always played better when you sped up his clock.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Flacco has no confidence in himself, his Oline, His WR and the offense as a whole.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Flacco has no confidence in himself, his Oline, His WR and the offense as a whole.
    I think this is a big issue. Personally, I don't think it's a lack of caring. I think it's a lack of confidence. Which can hit any player at one point or another. I honestly think all of this is wearing on him. Every year it's the same thing. This year, the offense was only set up to be marginally better than last year. Jensen over Zuttah is just addition by subtraction. Lewis was serviceable at Guard, given his status as a rookie Tackle, but I saw nothing to lead me to believe he was going to develop into an above average guy. Then again, Castillo was here last year. Wagner was replaced by a guy who has a history of struggling in pass protection and Oakland did not miss him at all. Steve Smith Sr., even at his age, was not truly replaced. Watson can catch. We've all known that. However, he's in his mid-thirties coming off of a major achilles injury. How long is he going to last?

I think that to start games Flacco feels pressure to not make mistakes and not screw it up for the defense, because that's the way the team wants it. However, as the offense struggles, he gets frustrated and begins to force the issue. That's when the turnovers come. He may feel like he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't and that can be demoralizing.

Blog Entries

You're not going to run uptempo when you want to be a grind out the clock type team that's by Harbaugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    You're not going to run uptempo when you want to be a grind out the clock type team that's by Harbaugh

That's a very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Nonsense he just playing rope a dope. He gonna be mvp this year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Nonsense he just playing rope a dope. He gonna be mvp this year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    He was the Jags MVP last week so it's working

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I say this every single game thread. It isn't just because we want to grind the ball, it still happens in game situations where we are behind and should be showing urgency.

I don't know who to blame for this but it seems to be a cultural thing in Baltimore. I distinctly remember Billick yelling "TEMPO, we need TEMPO" and clapping his hands back when Tony Banks was the QB, and again with Dilfer.

Flacco always looks like he's sauntering to the line and everyone just seems to get into their stances a step slow. It isn't crisp and uptempo. There's just this blah feeling of "here we go again, fuck it, make sure Koch is warmed up."

Come to think of it, the only time I can ever remember us having a decent tempo to the offense was the one year with McNair (RIP), and the one year where Joe was running the sugar huddle.

Even if your objective is to grind the clock, there's no harm in getting to the line early and seeing what the defense is doing. Peyton would set his offense within 5 seconds of the clock and then spend 25 seconds messing with the defense's head.

Tempo creates an assertive feeling. It is the offense asserting its will, telling the defense to match up on their terms, moving with aggression and authority.

Tempo is the great white whale in Baltimore, and we are no closer to catching it this year than any other.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    I say this every single game thread. It isn't just because we want to grind the ball, it still happens in game situations where we are behind and should be showing urgency.

I don't know who to blame for this but it seems to be a cultural thing in Baltimore. I distinctly remember Billick yelling "TEMPO, we need TEMPO" and clapping his hands back when Tony Banks was the QB, and again with Dilfer.

Flacco always looks like he's sauntering to the line and everyone just seems to get into their stances a step slow. It isn't crisp and uptempo. There's just this blah feeling of "here we go again, fuck it, make sure Koch is warmed up."

Come to think of it, the only time I can ever remember us having a decent tempo to the offense was the one year with McNair (RIP), and the one year where Joe was running the sugar huddle.

Even if your objective is to grind the clock, there's no harm in getting to the line early and seeing what the defense is doing. Peyton would set his offense within 5 seconds of the clock and then spend 25 seconds messing with the defense's head.

Tempo creates an assertive feeling. It is the offense asserting its will, telling the defense to match up on their terms, moving with aggression and authority.

Tempo is the great white whale in Baltimore, and we are no closer to catching it this year than any other.

seems like we talk about this every year, I think we can go each game since 2013 and pick out at least 2 games where they did this.