Blog Entries

Bill Rusell shows support.

"Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Bill Rusell shows support.

Russell has been doing this for almost 60 years. He was a pioneer.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

I started this thread to provide an example of how the anthem can indeed mean different things to different people. Here is a man who is universally respected for his legendary play and character, enduring many of the injustices and hardships of being African American during the mid-1900s. The anthem is not going to mean the same for him as it would for some with extended lineage in the military. This needs to be understood, so that dialogue can be opened for everyone to understand the sides involved.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

As long as you keep using the anthem to make your point we will never get to the 2nd phase of the conversation. Honestly I have no problem with Russell kneeling if he wants to kneel in support of a cause thats great just not during our anthem. I don't understand what is so difficult about this concept for people to understand. What next during our moment of silence do we have to deal with people yelling black lives matter America is a racist nation. There has to be something that is out of bounds of acceptable behavior that we as every american hold dear what binds us together otherwise what do we have?

I also heard Popovich comments on this subject he said white people need to be made uncomfortable first of all the anthem is not for white people it's for every american.

I can understand the argument when it comes to confederate flags and the dixie tune but this was written post civil war if anything the flag and our anthem should be symbols of freedom to Afrikan Americans.

I also don't agree with the idea that kneeling makes people feel uncomfortable it arises alot of emotions in people it may arise pain and grief like the widow of the WWII vet who went to see the patriots with Light for the first time and cried. It may cause anger like we are seeing with people burning jerseys and boycotting the NFL but it doesn't make us uncomfortable. Most people have already have fully formed opinions at this point.

Blog Entries

Bill Russell lived through a time when the anthem was played while he had to drink from different water fountains, enter establishments through the back door and attend different schools. He wasn't always a well paid NBA player. Even then, he dealt with much racism and inequality during his time. Yet, you would be upset if, under those circumstances, he would kneel for the flag instead of standing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Bill Russell lived through a time when the anthem was played while he had to drink from different water fountains, enter establishments through the back door and attend different schools. He wasn't always a well paid NBA player. Even then, he dealt with much racism and inequality during his time. Yet, you would be upset if, under those circumstances, he would kneel for the flag instead of standing?
    Yes I would.

Especially if he did now when he didn't do it then

Here's an interesting perspective from Hog's Haven, the DC sbnation blog.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/9/27/...n-redskins-nfl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Yes I would.

Especially if he did now when he didn't do it then
    You are also upset that the Green Beret suggested to Kaepernick that he kneel?

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    As long as you keep using the anthem to make your point we will never get to the 2nd phase of the conversation. Honestly I have no problem with Russell kneeling if he wants to kneel in support of a cause thats great just not during our anthem. I don't understand what is so difficult about this concept for people to understand. What next during our moment of silence do we have to deal with people yelling black lives matter America is a racist nation. There has to be something that is out of bounds of acceptable behavior that we as every american hold dear what binds us together otherwise what do we have?

I also heard Popovich comments on this subject he said white people need to be made uncomfortable first of all the anthem is not for white people it's for every american.

I can understand the argument when it comes to confederate flags and the dixie tune but this was written post civil war if anything the flag and our anthem should be symbols of freedom to Afrikan Americans.

I also don't agree with the idea that kneeling makes people feel uncomfortable it arises alot of emotions in people it may arise pain and grief like the widow of the WWII vet who went to see the patriots with Light for the first time and cried. It may cause anger like we are seeing with people burning jerseys and boycotting the NFL but it doesn't make us uncomfortable. Most people have already have fully formed opinions at this point.
    Do you stand at home when the anthem comes on for the olympics or playoffs . Do you demand everyone at your house/ bar stand.

Im sure you will say yes...