Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Done with Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Hoodie is the guy I would use as a model for HC if I were an owner.
    He has a scheme and much more -- a vision. He knows what he wants to do on D and O, AND is smart enough to at least understand what he wants his coordinators to deliver. I do not believe Harbs has this breadth of football knowledge. Harbs has skills hoodie does not possess, but (IMHO) they are more attuned to PR, "optics," corporate speak, etc. NOT damning with faint praise -- Harbs AND hoodie together would be an awesome team.
    Hoodie drives player selection. I do not think Harbs has anywhere near as much power. Hoodie gets the players that fit his vision. If he makes a mistake, he does not live with it -- he send the mistake to Cleveland. Hoodie chooses high quality, young-thinking coords, THEN MAKES SURE they do what he wants. Not at the micro level, but certainly at the macro level. Harbs seems unable to take a leading-edge "hot" OC. And he does NOT demand excellence. Harbs can say publicly that he wants a run-based offense, then his OC ignores him. Hoodie tells his coords what he wants, then gives them the freedom to deliver what he wants in their own way. He is extraordinarily demanding. Harbs clearly is not.
    No need to go on. You guys are more than smart enough to get my drift.
    Barbs is a figurehead coach. He's like paterno... no game day management. No real input on the team... just kind of there mumbling about vauge ways to improve.

Much like paterno at the end.... just completely useless in today's game.

He should go coach at Notre dame

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Barbs is a figurehead coach. He's like paterno... no game day management. No real input on the team... just kind of there mumbling about vauge ways to improve.

Much like paterno at the end.... just completely useless in today's game.

He should go coach at Notre dame

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Paterno would take the reigns occasionally on offense for a play here and there, but it was mostly Galen Hall. Tom Bradley was an awesome dc though, so no reason to but involved. That said, a college coach's job has a lot more to do with recruiting than x's and o's it seems. At least compared with nfl.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Tomlin just had to come in and hold the reigns. LeBeau had an awesome Defensive scheme and I believe Arians was there for Offense. Kinda like when we got Harbs. We had Sexy Rexy. Don't fix what ain't broke. Now Tomlin was sharp enough to get Haley and let him run his offense. If you're just a "Figure Head" coach....atleast surround yourself with talented Coordinators and be humble enough to let them run their schemes. And it wouldn't hurt to help them get the FO to draft players that fit their system. Harbs does none of that.
    Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh have somewhat of a similar coaching style. They basically just lead and allow their coordinators to do their own thing. The only time John Harbaugh didn't allow his offensive coordinator to bring in his own offense was in 2015 when Marc Trestman was hired. I think it's a stretch to call that a dumb move if it's the head coach job to recognize what scheme fits his players best especially his quarterback. I think to keep a offensive system in place that not only helps The Ravens have a pretty good rushing attack in 2014 but help Joe Flacco have one of his best season seems smart to me. It just didn't workout and I don't think it was because Marc Trestman was calling plays from Gary Kubiak playbook but it was because it seem like Trestman wasn't humble enough to adapt and actually call plays that suit his players strength.

Trestman also seem to abandon the run often too much as well. I don't really get why coordinators can be so stubborn if the their ultimate goal is to be a head coach again but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post

Trestman also seem to abandon the run often too much as well. I don't really get why coordinators can be so stubborn if the their ultimate goal is to be a head coach again but it is what it is.
    This is a statement I don't get sometimes. If we continue to run the ball and we are sitting at 15 carries for 12 yards, guess what, its not going to work. This is what I respect about NE, if it doesn't work they just adjust and do something else. Now, I haven't seen us abandon the run too many times if we are averaging 5 yards a carry or something. Most of the time people who say this sit there and turn around and complain about all the three n outs but when you continuously get 3rd and 11 what do you expect

I think the Baltimore heritage and identity - great defense, strong run game, and minimizing turn overs - is a great philosophy that can have a lot of success, even in today's NFL (see: Broncos, Seahawks). But we've chosen the worst possible people to implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    I think the Baltimore heritage and identity - great defense, strong run game, and minimizing turn overs - is a great philosophy that can have a lot of success, even in today's NFL (see: Broncos, Seahawks). But we've chosen the worst possible people and talent to implement it.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Again. Harbs won't hire or atleast hasn't hired any coach or asst that he feels could be a threat. He usually hires his old buddies or "weak" non threatening guys.
    I've always thought this was the case.

I'm of the mindset that a Super Bowl win buys you 5 years.

That calendar will have run out after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post

Great point

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post

I thought so to an extent, there is always variables.