Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Did I miss something?

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...ce-needs-rock/

"After four years of the Ravens allowing Flacco attempt to turn the Ravens into a pass-happy, high-octane offense, Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh came to the realization that blueprint wasn’t working. Their success from 2008-2012 was built around an efficient ground game and good defense. After their seats began to get warmer after missing the playoffs in three of the past four seasons, they wisely went back to that formula for success"

Going into 2013, the Ravens traded away Joe Flacco's best WR and tried to run the football. The reality was that they couldn't due to mass confusion along the offensive line, with two different Offensive Line coaches. Going into 2014, they did sign an aging Steve Smith Sr., but brought in Kubiak for his ability to coach a run first offense. In a draft widely considered a WR rich draft at the top, the only WR they took was Michael Campanaro. Going into 2015, they brought in Marc Trestman, only to ask him to run Kubiak's offense and did not allow him to bring in his own staff the way that Kubiak was allowed to. Going into 2016, Trestman lasted all of a handful of games before being fired. They then tried to run the ball and couldn't, with Jeremy Zuttah giving up interior pressure consistently. In one game, he literally got pushed back to the point of tripping up Flacco while he was trying to hand the ball off, multiple times. I saw no emphasis put on a high quality pass blocking offensive line. I saw no emphasis on obtaining high quality pass catchers. Breshad Perriman was selected after Torrey left. Maxx Williams was drafted after Pitta hurt his hip. They were not drafted to stack talent on top of talent, the way that high octane offenses tend to do. They were merely replacements of very similar profiles.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 09-21-2017 at 10:33 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Did I miss something?

yea it wasnt working cause flacco is not elite duh

they realized their mistake and invested heavily in the defense

4. Re: Did I miss something?

Regarding the article, if Wallace wants the ball then he needs to run his routes through all the way to the end, and not pull up short again. Even if he's not sure where the ball is while it's in the air, he should run full speed anyway. That way if he finds it he'll be in position to catch it, draw PI, or at least prevent the INT.

I hesitate to view the increase in passes as being entirely a matter of choice. Personnel issues, largely on D, drove some of the decision to go to the air. Lack of coaching continuity also hurt the O. Combined, these two factors forced the Ravens to adopt a riskier profile than they'd prefer.

If you haven't done so already, look at RaveninWoodlawn's sig. There is much wisdom there.

BS

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...ce-needs-rock/

"After four years of the Ravens allowing Flacco attempt to turn the Ravens into a pass-happy, high-octane offense, Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh came to the realization that blueprint wasn’t working. Their success from 2008-2012 was built around an efficient ground game and good defense. After their seats began to get warmer after missing the playoffs in three of the past four seasons, they wisely went back to that formula for success"

Going into 2013, the Ravens traded away Joe Flacco's best WR and tried to run the football. The reality was that they couldn't due to mass confusion along the offensive line, with two different Offensive Line coaches. Going into 2014, they did sign an aging Steve Smith Sr., but brought in Kubiak for his ability to coach a run first offense. In a draft widely considered a WR rich draft at the top, the only WR they took was Michael Campanaro. Going into 2015, they brought in Marc Trestman, only to ask him to run Kubiak's offense and did not allow him to bring in his own staff the way that Kubiak was allowed to. Going into 2016, Trestman lasted all of a handful of games before being fired. They then tried to run the ball and couldn't, with Jeremy Zuttah giving up interior pressure consistently. In one game, he literally got pushed back to the point of tripping up Flacco while he was trying to hand the ball off, multiple times. I saw no emphasis put on a high quality pass blocking offensive line. I saw no emphasis on obtaining high quality pass catchers. Breshad Perriman was selected after Torrey left. Maxx Williams was drafted after Pitta hurt his hip. They were not drafted to stack talent on top of talent, the way that high octane offenses tend to do. They were merely replacements of very similar profiles.
    Your post is deja vu all over again. Got ANYTHING new to add?
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Blog Entries

Lmfao what a terrible few lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    they realized their mistake and invested heavily in the defense
    Did I miss when they invested in offense? Here I thought in 2013 they went defense their first 4 picks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

No one says they gave Flacco any tools to make it work. They did have him throw a ton of passes which seems to have been the goal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No one says they gave Flacco any tools to make it work. They did have him throw a ton of passes which seems to have been the goal.
    I thought the amount of passes were do to how terrible the run game was. I think if they could have ran they would have ran more they just couldn't get anything on the ground going

Blog Entries

I dont think they ever decided not to run the football. Kubiak was brought in for that very reason actually. They wanted to run the ball effectively and improve the passing game. Once Kubiak left he set us back because his system is somewhat unique to run apparently. Trestman was brought in because hes intelligent and clearly was onboard with keeping Kubiaks system, although still was the playcaller and had a penchant for passing. once he left MM came in and was left running Trestmans version of Kubiaks, tough spot.

All throughout this time Harbaughs pretty consistently said he wanted to run the ball. situational football, what we actually had to work with and most of all Talent, probably dictated our playcallers more, than harbaugh. afterall, harbaugh can scream about a run game but if youre 3 and 5 and call a pass and are successful, youre not going to hear about it, if you call a run and fall short, youre still going to. its about what the OC deemed more likely for success and our run game struggled due to lack of talent after Rice as well as poor OL play due to inconsistency and/or injury.

This team has invested in offense, just not nearly the capital it has on defense. Theyve never given Flacco a legitimate target in the passing game that all his peers have had. a dominant force that you can pepper with targets all game despite coverages. theyve relied mostly on WRs on their last legs over the years, which is cap friendly, but they all should have been compliments and not the main guy. I think most of us can agree with that.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The first line of the article is absurd.

It implies that Flacco said "Fuck the team, I'm throwing no matter what" or was making scheme and personnel decisions.

In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the author of this article wrote that line to cause a thread like this to be created.

It's such a loaded line.

Again, by lumping in "four years" you fail to see how 2014 stands out.

You know, 2014, when the Ravens actually had the personnel and coaches to run a real NFL scheme.

In that year, 2014, he had ~550 attempts. Very close to 2011 and 2012.

In 2013 and 2016, he had over 600 attempts. And would have had over 600 in 2015 but for injury.

Why is that? Gee what stands out as common between 2011/12 and 2014? A structured offensive scheme maybe? Good players. From Cam to Kubiak, a structure was in place.

Then in 2013, 2015 and 2016, the schemeS fucking sucked, and we were relying on players like Marlon Brown, Gino Gradkowski, Kamar Aiken, etc.

So I have an issue with a local writer not even acknowledging the above noted distinctions.

This is the type of shit I'd expect from a dipshit national writer.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bt12483; 09-22-2017 at 07:16 AM.