Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Describe what the Ravens mean to you. "Our Tribe"

I know for some friends of mine, the Ravens are a source of entertainment and discussion. That's fine and probably "normal". I think for folks on this forum it goes beyond that.

For me, I found the Ravens to be a sense of community, of brotherhood and sisterhood. A way to bring all walks of people, all colors, all nationalities (my section mates in 527 were Japanese and total Raven maniacs, very satisfying to be with them, all wore jerseys). Sort of a city or region coming together despite our differences. It went far beyond sports into a spiritual realm.

I call it "our tribe". I think partially it's been a distraction from some of the not so happy parts of life. Though the Ravens can make us cry at times....we cry together.

There is also the complex parts of the game itself that make it interesting. Defenses and Offenses offer a complex symphony of moving parts. I guess the same could be said of soccer, but I fail to see it. Also adding to the complexity, is the drama. Suspensions, contracts, and the human elements of life. The heros, the losers, and those in between that often defy description. All on the big screen of media for witness.

But back to the core question, what do the Ravens mean to you?
    Last edited by alienstar; 09-21-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Re: Describe what the Ravens mean to you. "Our Tribe"

Large black birds known for their presence in poetry and the Tower of London

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Also, was something to turn to for football with my wife when the ncaa was dropping the hammer on psu.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Re: Describe what the Ravens mean to you.

My answer is going to be a bit different than the rest of you, seeing as I'm a 20+ year band member going back to the last days as the Colts Marching Band in Memorial Stadium when the Ravens first came to town.

The Ravens (at least my portion of it), to me, are family. These are the people I spend hundreds of hours with year after year after year. We celebrate together in wins, we get angry together with losses, we have the typical work-place frustrations on tougher rehearsals, and we celebrate together when we know we've gotten the crowd reactions we wanted out of our shows. Being in the Ravens Band is what led me to stay in Maryland for college, where I eventually met my wife.

These are the people who helped me move into my new house last year when I herniated a disc in my back. These are the people who we have consoled each other when we've lost family members, and when we've lost members of the band (sometimes, they are one in the same).

These are the people whom I have literally grown up with. I was 13 when I joined (back in 1997, that was the minimum age). I've been through middle school, high school, college, and on and this band has always been a part of it.

It's an escape from my normal life for 3 hours a week, and even more so on game days.

And the stadium? It's home. There are times I'm more comfortable there than I am in my own house. Sitting out the 4 games I missed last year due to injury? It was awful. Like a huge part of my life had been taken away.

Blog Entries

It's a good question because I'm not sure anymore. I have a picture of Ed Reed hanging up in my office. All my jerseys are for players that retired a long time ago. I love the history of the team but I just don't view the teams of the past few years the same way. The greatness or the building towards greatness that was part of this franchise for it's first decade and a half just hasn't been there. It's a lot more about rooting for the laundry that the individuals. I still love Suggs and get excited when the Ravens defense squashes the Browns. Outside of old guys like Suggs and Yanda it's tough to think of any of these guys as great Ravens like so many were in the past. Justin Tucker and Sam Koch are probably the closest.

Most just seem to be temporary. A guy like Matt Judon I know won't be on the team when he hits free agency in 2 years. Weddle is just a mercenary who will be a cap casualty. He's Samri Rolle or Trevor Pryce. In the past we had guys who came out of nowhere and became identified with this organization. Think of Adalius Thomas, Kelly Gregg, Jarret Johnson, Bart Scott or Jameel McClain. Brandon Williams is the only recent example. KO, Pernell McPhee and Rick Wagner who all would have been part of that in the past are gone. I don't know if it's the nature of contracts that's changed or a philosophy by the organization but in the past those guys would have been Ravens for a long time.

Now days the roster has tremendous turnover and the core keeps shrinking. It makes it much harder to focus on players instead of the uniform. So right now my feelings are that the Ravens mean a history or great things that hopefully will return one day. That past will never be forgotten even if the present is completely 'meh'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    I know for some friends of mine, the Ravens are a source of entertainment and discussion. That's fine and probably "normal". I think for folks on this forum it goes beyond that.

For me, I found the Ravens to be a sense of community, of brotherhood and sisterhood. A way to bring all walks of people, all colors, all nationalities (my section mates in 527 were Japanese and total Raven maniacs, very satisfying to be with them, all wore jerseys). Sort of a city or region coming together despite our differences. It went far beyond sports into a spiritual realm.

I call it "our tribe". I think partially it's been a distraction from some of the not so happy parts of life. Though the Ravens can make us cry at times....we cry together.

There is also the complex parts of the game itself that make it interesting. Defenses and Offenses offer a complex symphony of moving parts. I guess the same could be said of soccer, but I fail to see it. Also adding to the complexity, is the drama. Suspensions, contracts, and the human elements of life. The heros, the losers, and those in between that often defy description. All on the big screen of media for witness.

But back to the core question, what do the Ravens mean to you?
    good post and great thread AS.

Blog Entries

This is a great thread, reading everyone's post good stuff...I am in the bracket with GOTA..let me explain.

Born in Bawlmore, raised in Bawlmore for much of my elementary school life so it's a given to be a Raven, O's fan, that's just by birth rite. I gave up on the O's a long time ago anyways it's been good for my health. I haven't watched a game since 2009.

But the reason why I love the Ravens and that love has changed over the years because of the simple fact I am getting older so that crazy fanatic side has been much more mellow than what I used to be when I was younger.

For 1. I identify with this team, more so in the Ray Lewis era than I do now but the base remains the same, this team has always been faced with many odds, whether it be injuries, lack of talent on one side or both sides of the ball, suspect coaching and just being a smaller market team; sometimes all the above but they never give no matter what this team never gives up against the odds they find a way or they die trying. That's a characteristic I find in myself that i can identity with in this team. Being a defensive player for all of my football career I know how a defender thinks and how a defender suppose to play and it's part of the reason Ray was and will always be my favorite player. His mindset on the field is what a defender like myself would strive for.

2. Ravens fans we are like the marines, we are the proud and the few, you don't see too many bandwagon Ravens fans, because we are a small market team swimming with sharks but play better than most of them on any given Sunday. Their is certain pride being a Ravens fan that most other fans from other teams don't have.

Now that I am getting older, my crazy fanatic side has calm down a lot, and my views on the game have changed over the years, I guess I am turning into a more casual fan now but I rep my Ravens every Sunday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's a good question because I'm not sure anymore. I have a picture of Ed Reed hanging up in my office. All my jerseys are for players that retired a long time ago. I love the history of the team but I just don't view the teams of the past few years the same way. The greatness or the building towards greatness that was part of this franchise for it's first decade and a half just hasn't been there. It's a lot more about rooting for the laundry that the individuals. I still love Suggs and get excited when the Ravens defense squashes the Browns. Outside of old guys like Suggs and Yanda it's tough to think of any of these guys as great Ravens like so many were in the past. Justin Tucker and Sam Koch are probably the closest.

Most just seem to be temporary. A guy like Matt Judon I know won't be on the team when he hits free agency in 2 years. Weddle is just a mercenary who will be a cap casualty. He's Samri Rolle or Trevor Pryce. In the past we had guys who came out of nowhere and became identified with this organization. Think of Adalius Thomas, Kelly Gregg, Jarret Johnson, Bart Scott or Jameel McClain. Brandon Williams is the only recent example. KO, Pernell McPhee and Rick Wagner who all would have been part of that in the past are gone. I don't know if it's the nature of contracts that's changed or a philosophy by the organization but in the past those guys would have been Ravens for a long time.

Now days the roster has tremendous turnover and the core keeps shrinking. It makes it much harder to focus on players instead of the uniform. So right now my feelings are that the Ravens mean a history or great things that hopefully will return one day. That past will never be forgotten even if the present is completely 'meh'
    good post G

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

The funny part is that you are one of the most prolific and known posters on this site. I certainly can't speak for you but perhaps this validates my point about the whole Ravens experience being beyond the sport. Even if the on field and perceived situation is 'Meh'.... Maybe you stick around here to interact with your online 'family' and this transcends just football. But it started with football and the Ravens. Again, just an observation, I wouldn't know if it's fact unless you say so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienstar View Post
    The funny part is that you are one of the most prolific and known posters on this site. I certainly can't speak for you but perhaps this validates my point about the whole Ravens experience being beyond the sport. Even if the on field and perceived situation is 'Meh'.... Maybe you stick around here to interact with your online 'family' and this transcends just football. But it started with football and the Ravens. Again, just an observation, I wouldn't know if it's fact unless you say so.
    To be honest I would much prefer to feel the way that you described in your initial post. That's what it should be and what is was for me for a very long time. I think it's the rosters we've had since the Super Bowl that are creating this disconnect. I just don't see a lot of Ravens cut in the mold of the players in the past.

I still watch every game and that won't change. I still pay a fortune for DirecTV and Sunday Ticket which I have now since 1999. I'm not at the point where that is even a question in my mind.

You are right about this board being family. There are so posters here that I love to read and interact with. This quality of this board is truly outstanding and that's because of the posters. I haven't slowed down even if I've been bummed out about the team

I have a weird association to the team. Obvioulsy I'm Canadian with a total of zero ties to Baltimore. I've never even been to Baltimore.

I'm 24 now so when the Ravens were founded I was 4 years old. When they won I was 8. The first Ravens game I watched was in that 2000 year. My dad was your standard blue collar working class guy. Rough and tumble dude - through his junior hockey career he was 5'8 (that's where my deficiency comes from) and set the record for the Junior team he played for for most penalty minutes in a career with the team (it's been beaten now). All that to say is he could identify with the Ravens.

He was never a Ravens fan (just kind of followed the league moreso than a team), but he would watch them and the Steelers, other smash mouth teams. I fell in love with Ray Lewis while watching a game in 2000. I'm a lot like my dad was and I identified with him. In a post-game press conference he was just the kind of guy I can relate to. The rest is history. I cheered for them every year and then started following actively around 2006 before being really in depth in about 2008-2010.

However, I can relate ot what GOTA is saying. We don't have a lot of names on D that look like career Ravens. Maybe that changes with Mosely and Jefferson forming our up the middle core with Williams. Maybe Tim Williams becomes the next career sack guy for the Ravens. It has less of a draw.

That being said, what do they mean to me? A hell of a lot. It's wavered and I have a hard time dealing with losing, but I still think I became spoiled by being constant contenders (for the most part) for over a decade.

I watch every game. I post on this forum daily. You guys on here have become friends. Actually it is more life family. I haven't met in person anyone on here, but becuase it's been so long I know a lot of you on a personal level. It's a huge part of my life. However, I can acknowledge that in recent years it's been tough. In 2007 when the fall out happened we still were able to cling to Ray and Ed. What if that happens this year? Who do we cling to? It's tougher.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Civic pride.