Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: What is the main thing you so wrong in today's society and culture?

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    I'm not going to go in depth about religion because regardless of my personal perspectives, I realize that it works for some people, and I would never do that in a public forum.

You being someone who has been very keen on the concept of how labels create lines of division should be able to appreciate how identifying yourself as an______ (insert country where you have citizenship), instead of just identifying with being a person on this planet creates it's issues.
    Sure and I'd agree with that. The question of the thread is today's society and culture though. I think those things have always been there. So if you think those things are what's wrong today, why are they worse now?

Blog Entries

Generally I think the biggest issue is we don't listen to each other or show the capacity to empathise with others. As a result we cling to rigidly to beliefs and opinions we hold without challenging them. Politics has become emblematic of this, it is not about debates in good faith but rather dogmatically sticking to a view point and refusing to listen to an opposing view points that may be more or equally valid, seemingly to the point where we can lie to ourselves and others. As a result it has become easy to write someone else's views off with reductive terms.

I see this take shape in so many ways across all aspects of life, and I think it is the reason for the increasing polarisation. Entrenched, unchallenged views that are seen as a panacea for the ills of a population.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I would say entitlement AND it's all about me. I'll come back later to expand on this but for now I will just say the majority are concerned with their own happiness..
    That can be a symptom of a decline of Christianity as well. The idea that your happiness is what matters vs serving others. Obviously as pointed out by usmccharles, you don't have to be Christian to have that attitude, but it is kind of expected if you are.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That can be a symptom of a decline of Christianity as well. The idea that your happiness is what matters vs serving others. Obviously as pointed out by usmccharles, you don't have to be Christian to have that attitude, but it is kind of expected if you are.

Decline of, or in?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    There is a scene between Ragnar Lothbrok (the Viking) and King Ecbert (the Christian) and they are discussing the afterlife difference between Valhalla and Heaven, one of my favorite scenes. I am at work now and cant add youtube links, but if you search "Ragnar Heaven" it will be the first one and its 4:28, just thought it was interesting.

Even though im not religious I enjoy the discussion. But yea back on topic.

I am very curious on the long term affects of this social media life for younger kids. The kids that had iphones in 3rd grade or whatever, when you go out how often do you see kids barried in their phones? Social interaction is like the plague
    That's one reason we are delaying phones as long as possible for our kids

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Generally I think the biggest issue is we don't listen to each other or show the capacity to empathise with others. As a result we cling to rigidly to beliefs and opinions we hold without challenging them. Politics has become emblematic of this, it is not about debates in good faith but rather dogmatically sticking to a view point and refusing to listen to an opposing view points that may be more or equally valid, seemingly to the point where we can lie to ourselves and others. As a result it has become easy to write someone else's views off with reductive terms.

I see this take shape in so many ways across all aspects of life, and I think it is the reason for the increasing polarisation. Entrenched, unchallenged views that are seen as a panacea for the ills of a population.
    I think technology exacerbates this since you are having a lot of conversations with people without seeing them. Social media can also become an echo chamber for one's political views if you're not careful as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Decline of, or in?
    Fair point. I would say the number of Christians has declined in general as a percentage of population, but it seems that people like to take the label and use it to spew hatred in the name of God, or kind of go about their daily business saying they follow Jesus, but not letting that play into their actions I suppose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Fair point. I would say the number of Christians has declined in general as a percentage of population, but it seems that people like to take the label and use it to spew hatred in the name of God, or kind of go about their daily business saying they follow Jesus, but not letting that play into their actions I suppose.

Globally Christianity is growing. In 50 years or so (can't remember the exact number) China is expected to be 40% Christian. Africa is experiencing similar growth to my knowledge.

To your other point, I could see that. But there's no such thing as a perfect Christian so I truly believe some try to be Christians. Not so easy in this world/day and age.
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 09-27-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: updated # of years from 10 to 50