Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What is the main thing you so wrong in today's society and culture?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    You ever watch the show called Vikings?
    I've seen an episode, but haven't gotten into it yet. Why do you ask?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Which is where I will agree with Baltravens on about faith - Christians believe God is the ultimate good and seeking to know and have a relationship is the meaning of life and a result the ultimate/true source of happiness.
    Was thinking about this a bit and remembered this part from one of my favorite books.

"In The Nature of True Virtue, one of the most profound treatises on social ethics ever written, Jonathan Edwards lays out how sin destroys the social fabric. He argues that human society is deeply fragmented when anything but God is our highest love. If our highest goal in life is the good of our family, then, says Edwards, we will tend to care less for other families. If our highest goal is the good of our nation, tribe, or race, then we will tend to be racist or nationalistic. If our ultimate goal in life is our own individual happiness, then we will put our own economic and power interests ahead of those of others. Edwards concludes that only if God is our summum bonum, our ultimate good and life center, will we find our heart drawn out not only to people of all families, races, and classes, but to the whole world in general.

How does this destruction of social relationships flow from the internal effects of sin? If we get our very identity, our sense of worth, from our political position, then politics is not really about politics, it is about us. Through our cause we are getting a self, our worth. That means we must despise and demonize the opposition. If we get our identity from our ethnicity or socioeconomic status, then we have to feel superior to those of other classes and races. If you are profoundly proud of being an open-minded, tolerant soul, you will be extremely indignant toward people you think are bigots. If you are a very moral person, you will feel very superior to people you think are licentious. And so on. There is no way out of this conundrum. The more we love and identify deeply with our family, our class, our race, or our religion, the harder it is to not feel superior or even hostile to other religions, races, etc. So racism, classism, and sexism are not matters of ignorance or a lack of education. Foucault and others in our time have shown that it is far harder than we think to have a self-identity that doesn’t lead to exclusion. The real culture war is taking place inside our own disordered hearts, wracked by inordinate desires for things that control us, that lead us to feel superior and exclude those without them, and that fail to satisfy us even when we get them."
    Interesting thoughts...

Democrats.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I've seen an episode, but haven't gotten into it yet. Why do you ask?
    There is a scene between Ragnar Lothbrok (the Viking) and King Ecbert (the Christian) and they are discussing the afterlife difference between Valhalla and Heaven, one of my favorite scenes. I am at work now and cant add youtube links, but if you search "Ragnar Heaven" it will be the first one and its 4:28, just thought it was interesting.

Even though im not religious I enjoy the discussion. But yea back on topic.

I am very curious on the long term affects of this social media life for younger kids. The kids that had iphones in 3rd grade or whatever, when you go out how often do you see kids barried in their phones? Social interaction is like the plague

Blog Entries

There is a scene between Ragnar Lothbrok (the Viking) and King Ecbert (the Christian) and they are discussing the afterlife difference between Valhalla and Heaven, one of my favorite scenes. I am at work now and cant add youtube links, but if you search "Ragnar Heaven" it will be the first one and its 4:28, just thought it was interesting.
    That was interesting. Something I've thought about too. What if I'm wrong about all this? Then... so what, if there is no God there is no right way to live.

I am very curious on the long term affects of this social media life for younger kids. The kids that had iphones in 3rd grade or whatever, when you go out how often do you see kids barried in their phones? Social interaction is like the plague
    Adults too! Just a quick example. When I come to work and wait for the elevator I notice no one talks to each other, no small talk etc. I see what people are doing they take out their phones and click on apps or messages and look at things with no purpose. Like they just open and close things. If we continue to take our phones out of pocket and avoid talking to people, social interaction and communication won't completely fall apart but it's going to be difficult instead of a natural thing.

That was interesting. Something I've thought about too. What if I'm wrong about all this? Then... so what, if there is no God there is no right way to live.

Adults too! Just a quick example. When I come to work and wait for the elevator I notice no one talks to each other, no small talk etc. I see what people are doing they take out their phones and click on apps or messages and look at things with no purpose. Like they just open and close things. If we continue to take our phones out of pocket and avoid talking to people, social interaction and communication won't completely fall apart but it's going to be difficult instead of a natural thing.
    Yea that clip is one of my favorite scenes ever, thats actually one of my favorite shows of all time, surprised we dont have TV and Movie thread.

Yea, now that clicks form friends instead of friends form clicks its a dangerous hole we are headed down. I understand its just human human nature to evolve, but we are evolving away from what has made us the way we are. Even Elon Musk says technology will be the downfall, citing AI for the reason.

I want to add another thing about our society in addition to getting away from faith and a church-going, law-abiding, and civil society.

In America there is a major dynamic and that is individualism. WE are a me-me-me society instead of a we-society. In the past we watched out more for our neighbor and their well-being. Where is that dynamic today?

People put themselves first rather than seeing that there are a universe of opinions (U.O.O.) out there and the people who harbor them as part of the over 330 million in the USA. ...Like one of my Harvard-educated professors stated a couple of decades ago: We cannot all be right (correct) on an issue or topic.

I see two big issues. Federal Government is too large an invasive. Shrink the federal government and push the social, healthcare and other issues out to the states. Citizens can have a great influence on them at a state level. For instance, the planned parenthood funding issue. Federal Government gives x amount to each state to be used to fund organizations that provide health benefits. The states determine if they want to fund planned parenthood or another organization that does not offer abortions. If a state wants a single payer healthcare system, they can vote for it and raise the taxes to support it. Most of the issues people are fighting over now are not constitutional issues. We as a country are very split in our beliefs on social issues and it is tearing the country apart because the pendulum keeps swinging back and forth based on who controls the federal government. Push it to the states. If you don't like where your state stands on the issue, move to another state.

The 2nd biggest issue I have is people are adopting a fight for what you believe in mantra by literally fighting. The way that people are trying to effect change through negativity and divisive behavior and the Media exacerbating the situations.

9. Re: What is the main thing you so wrong in today's society and culture?

Black Man Grabs White Guy By Arm...
    http://timespolice.com/?p=354

Blog Entries

Religion and Patriotism

Both are man made constructs that when revered, serve as a vehicle for brainwashing/controlling the masses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Religion and Patriotism

Both are man made constructs that when revered, serve as a vehicle for brainwashing/controlling the masses.
    Patriotism is just a different name for Nationalism.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Religion and Patriotism

Anything can be abused. That doesn't mean you judge something by it's abuses.