Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is the main thing you so wrong in today's society and culture?

As the Ravens open their contest against the Bengals in week 1, and I personally am prepared as Hurricane Irma inches southward up the US, I have given thought of how America has changed drastically over the last 60 years, and it is for the worse.

I am a traditional Christian and many would see me as odd in adhering to the Bible which prohibits 'fornication' which is reserved for husband and wife. I am a man for the 1950's. Although, the problem to me in America is economic and the shrinking middle class (Will it ever come back?), things like getting away from faith and a church-going, law-abiding, and civil society are at issue and underlie the problems in America.

Our society is setup for two incomes to support a household comfortably; namely, from a husband and wife. However, without a good Christian foundation and fiber in our culture, I argue that leads to the other problems in our country. Citizens do not understand that if you give respect (in life) that you will get respect.

As we await the first full Sunday of NFL games and the Ravens, what do you mainly see wrong with our society and culture?

Blog Entries

Re: What is the main thing you so wrong in today's society and culture?

Interesting topic.

I do think that society and American culture has changed since I've been alive (I'm 35) and based on things I've read and things I've heard from my parents, grand parents, and great grand parents, I couldn't disagree with you more that things are worse now than what they were 60 years ago.

• 60 years ago (1957), Black Americans couldn't really vote.
    • According to a 1998 Brookings Institute study, in the 1950's, 44% of White Americans said they'd move if a Black Family moved into their neighborhood. In 1998, only 1% of White Americans polled felt that way.
    • According to a recent Pew study, the current Congress is the most racially and ethnically diverse Congress ever.
    • We've had a Black President.
    • We've had multiple Black Department of State Heads.
    • We've had multiple Black Attorney Generals.
    • In 1960, the average life expectancy of a man or woman in the US was 69.7 years. In 2017, that average is 81.4 years.
    • Between 1950-1955 there were roughly 30-40,000 cases of Polio. Polio has been effectively eradicated in the US.
    • In fact, other than a few types of Cancer, several diseases that previously were death sentences have effective treatments (AIDS/HIV for example) that can extend one's life for much longer.
    • Women in positions of power in corporations have grown tremendously.
    • Women's presence in technological jobs have grown significantly.
    • People can access incredible volumes of historical knowledge, literature, etc.
    • People can learn new skills through online channels and websites.
    • People are willing to create videos of performing various tasks, like changing the oil in a car, and share those videos on YouTube - FOR FREE.

Frankly, as a "Christian", I'm surprised that you wouldn't even consider these things. I'm not going to get into the religious ideology because it doesnt really mean anything. People are going to be assholes regardless of whether or not they go to church on Sundays. Just like people are going to be decent human beings regardless of whether or not they abide by the Bible, Torah, or Q'uran. Decent is decent - and one doesn't need to be religious to be a decent person.

There are 2 main things that I believe are why society is the way it is right now (and why it seems so bad):

1) The Federal Government is far too invasive and large (and therefore too expensive).
    - They've consistently drove up our national debt.
    - They've turned "service" into "careers" and they by and large have different rules than the rest of us.
    - They invest taxpayer dollars poorly.
    - They've created an element of dependence on them rather than empowerment.
    - Budgets are all about power and not about actually doing the right thing for the US.
    - They give money and assets away to foreign governments and call it "foreign aid".
    - Since FDR they've consistently taken more and more from the US citizens.
    - They've taken a position of instituting government run regulations and agencies that don't work well (ACA) and in some instances are flat out failures (DNI).
    - They black mail multiple state-level organizations with funding.
    - Since 9/11 they've consistently expanded the Executive Branch's powers more and more to the point now that the Presidency is almost a completely omnipotent figure in the US government.

2) The mainstream media is more or less a tool for dividing and driving votes.
    - They perpetuate stereotypes.
    - They purposefully cover stories that are meant to be incendiary.
    - They push false narratives.
    - They leave out facts or twist them to fit an agenda.
    - They perpetuate the 2-party system by not letting 3rd party candidates debate during primary elections.
    - They're in the pockets of politicians and lobbyists.

I think that by and large, society is pretty decent. I don't think that the shit we see on Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc every day are what is actually happening. I also think that there is a percentage of the population that gets sucked into the perpetual drama we see on daily news outlets and that just eggs the whole thing on.

So, I say all of that to say that I think you're dead wrong on society being worse in 2017 than it was in 1957.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Interesting topic.

I do think that society and American culture has changed since I've been alive (I'm 35) and based on things I've read and things I've heard from my parents, grand parents, and great grand parents, I couldn't disagree with you more that things are worse now than what they were 60 years ago.

• 60 years ago (1957), Black Americans couldn't really vote.
    • According to a 1998 Brookings Institute study, in the 1950's, 44% of White Americans said they'd move if a Black Family moved into their neighborhood. In 1998, only 1% of White Americans polled felt that way.
    • According to a recent Pew study, the current Congress is the most racially and ethnically diverse Congress ever.
    • We've had a Black President.
    • We've had multiple Black Department of State Heads.
    • We've had multiple Black Attorney Generals.
    • In 1960, the average life expectancy of a man or woman in the US was 69.7 years. In 2017, that average is 81.4 years.
    • Between 1950-1955 there were roughly 30-40,000 cases of Polio. Polio has been effectively eradicated in the US.
    • In fact, other than a few types of Cancer, several diseases that previously were death sentences have effective treatments (AIDS/HIV for example) that can extend one's life for much longer.
    • Women in positions of power in corporations have grown tremendously.
    • Women's presence in technological jobs have grown significantly.
    • People can access incredible volumes of historical knowledge, literature, etc.
    • People can learn new skills through online channels and websites.
    • People are willing to create videos of performing various tasks, like changing the oil in a car, and share those videos on YouTube - FOR FREE.

Frankly, as a "Christian", I'm surprised that you wouldn't even consider these things. I'm not going to get into the religious ideology because it doesnt really mean anything. People are going to be assholes regardless of whether or not they go to church on Sundays. Just like people are going to be decent human beings regardless of whether or not they abide by the Bible, Torah, or Q'uran. Decent is decent - and one doesn't need to be religious to be a decent person.

There are 2 main things that I believe are why society is the way it is right now (and why it seems so bad):

1) The Federal Government is far too invasive and large (and therefore too expensive).
    - They've consistently drove up our national debt.
    - They've turned "service" into "careers" and they by and large have different rules than the rest of us.
    - They invest taxpayer dollars poorly.
    - They've created an element of dependence on them rather than empowerment.
    - Budgets are all about power and not about actually doing the right thing for the US.
    - They give money and assets away to foreign governments and call it "foreign aid".
    - Since FDR they've consistently taken more and more from the US citizens.
    - They've taken a position of instituting government run regulations and agencies that don't work well (ACA) and in some instances are flat out failures (DNI).
    - They black mail multiple state-level organizations with funding.
    - Since 9/11 they've consistently expanded the Executive Branch's powers more and more to the point now that the Presidency is almost a completely omnipotent figure in the US government.

2) The mainstream media is more or less a tool for dividing and driving votes.
    - They perpetuate stereotypes.
    - They purposefully cover stories that are meant to be incendiary.
    - They push false narratives.
    - They leave out facts or twist them to fit an agenda.
    - They perpetuate the 2-party system by not letting 3rd party candidates debate during primary elections.
    - They're in the pockets of politicians and lobbyists.

I think that by and large, society is pretty decent. I don't think that the shit we see on Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc every day are what is actually happening. I also think that there is a percentage of the population that gets sucked into the perpetual drama we see on daily news outlets and that just eggs the whole thing on.

So, I say all of that to say that I think you're dead wrong on society being worse in 2017 than it was in 1957.
    Interesting too.
    My post is just an introduction on the subject without a multitude of examples and details. The main variable in our country, The United States of America, is people. Capitalism is our economic system, and economics is what we make with what we have.

We are governed by the Constitution, which is the basic law of the land. I am a black-and-white male, and agree with you that the media can be a large contributor to what are considered the problems in our country.

You also brought up the Federal Government. From opinion, here is my solution to better government or fix the government: In simplest terms, this country can be bettered by having all Americans take a survey on exactly what they support (within reason) AND the Federal Government enacting those wants stipulated in policy for the people. Spell things out in clear, simple, and direct English for all American citizens who are eligible to vote, and the only politicians who carry out the citizens' wishes will be kept in office.

Let's here from some others on what they see as wrong with our culture/society.

4. Re: What is the main thing you so wrong in today's society and culture?

One word:
    Entitlement

While I respect your faith and beliefs about your religion, I don't think that is the issue in today's society. I don't believe you have to be a Christian or any other form of religion to be a good person with morals and values. I believe most of our issues today are derived from the way the internet has connected us and the importance of social media. I am a 32 year old, Marine veteran, atheist, who was raised by a single (Jewish) mother in Arkansas and I honestly believe I am living in the wrong era. I believe in chivalry, work ethic, honesty, and it kills me when I see the younger generation treating people the way they do.

Internet and social media is, imo, the reason for the entitlement issues, instant gratification, and disrespect. That being said, some of the parents are to blame as well, not teaching their kids that hard work is essential to where you want to go in life, things are just handed to you, but instead taught their kids that they are special in their own way, told them that their best is good enough and gave them participation trophies. Sometimes your best isn't good enough. You aren't that special, until you do something special.

One thing @baltravens I do agree with is how the economics of our country has changed needing two incomes to provide for a family. There was a time when wage increase would go up with inflation to equal it out, then the wage increase stopped going up while inflation continued to rise. Growing up where im from there was no issue with people working at local mom and pop hardware stores, gas stations, etc and being able to get their own house while supporting a family. Now needing both parent incomes takes away from family time therefore losing some important life lessons from parents.

I may be too young to really have an input since I am a 'millenial' by my age group, which I don't agree with, I don't even have a Facebook account. Just my one cent

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    One word:
    Entitlement
    This. We are living in an entitlement era. Way too many people believed they are entitled to things because they are in some sort of 'victim' class. This idea is perpetuated by the media and many in government.

Blog Entries

I would say entitlement AND it's all about me. I'll come back later to expand on this but for now I will just say the majority are concerned with their own happiness..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    While I respect your faith and beliefs about your religion, I don't think that is the issue in today's society. I don't believe you have to be a Christian or any other form of religion to be a good person with morals and values. I believe most of our issues today are derived from the way the internet has connected us and the importance of social media. I am a 32 year old, Marine veteran, atheist, who was raised by a single (Jewish) mother in Arkansas and I honestly believe I am living in the wrong era. I believe in chivalry, work ethic, honesty, and it kills me when I see the younger generation treating people the way they do.
    I think the argument is often misunderstood. It's not that you HAVE to be a Christian or religious in general, just that if you're not who at the end of the day do you think is holding you accountable?

Internet and social media is, imo, the reason for the entitlement issues, instant gratification, and disrespect. That being said, some of the parents are to blame as well, not teaching their kids that hard work is essential to where you want to go in life, things are just handed to you, but instead taught their kids that they are special in their own way, told them that their best is good enough and gave them participation trophies. Sometimes your best isn't good enough. You aren't that special, until you do something special.

One thing @baltravens I do agree with is how the economics of our country has changed needing two incomes to provide for a family. There was a time when wage increase would go up with inflation to equal it out, then the wage increase stopped going up while inflation continued to rise. Growing up where im from there was no issue with people working at local mom and pop hardware stores, gas stations, etc and being able to get their own house while supporting a family. Now needing both parent incomes takes away from family time therefore losing some important life lessons from parents.
    I don't think you need two incomes. While I do make decent/good money my wife stays home and we could survive on less.

It's not just the economy and all the reasons you stated. While I think they are at play, more of the issue is your previous paragraph - "instant gratification". Why save for a car and pay cash when you can just get a loan (and pay $500 a month- the average car payment nowadays). Why save 10 -20% for a down payment on a house when you can get an adjustable rate mortgage and save up for the first 5 years. Same with TV's, phones you name it.

I don't even have a Facebook account. Just my one cent
    Facebook should be called Fakebook. On there the majority are either on one end or the other - EXTREMLY HAPPY and life is AWESOME don't you wish you were me or WOE IS ME feel sorry for me. Either way both are seeking approval or attention. Combine this with the point about instant gratification and you have people trying to get meaning and happiness and life from THINGS that will never satisfy. Which is where I will agree with Baltravens on about faith - Christians believe God is the ultimate good and seeking to know and have a relationship is the meaning of life and a result the ultimate/true source of happiness.

But as C.S. Lewis put it:
    "If we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    As the Ravens open their contest against the Bengals in week 1, and I personally am prepared as Hurricane Irma inches southward up the US, I have given thought of how America has changed drastically over the last 60 years, and it is for the worse.

I am a traditional Christian and many would see me as odd in adhering to the Bible which prohibits 'fornication' which is reserved for husband and wife. I am a man for the 1950's. Although, the problem to me in America is economic and the shrinking middle class (Will it ever come back?), things like getting away from faith and a church-going, law-abiding, and civil society are at issue and underlie the problems in America.

Our society is setup for two incomes to support a household comfortably; namely, from a husband and wife. However, without a good Christian foundation and fiber in our culture, I argue that leads to the other problems in our country. Citizens do not understand that if you give respect (in life) that you will get respect.

As we await the first full Sunday of NFL games and the Ravens, what do you mainly see wrong with our society and culture?
    You are right. But the devil piggy backs evil on righteousness.BLM is a noble cause, but it's funded by evil people with evil agendas. There is no absolutes and moral relativism Abounds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I think the argument is often misunderstood. It's not that you HAVE to be a Christian or religious in general, just that if you're not who at the end of the day do you think is holding you accountable?

"
    The only issue i have with this comment and im not trying to start a religious debate nor imply anyone here is guilty of this: I have an issue with people who act a certain way because of the reward at the end of the tunnel ( fear based) rather than doing things just because there the right thing to do. I believe im a good person and i dont need anyone to hold me accountable other than myself to do the right thing. Also this could be another reason for whats happening in this country, society isn't holding people accountable for things that they should, rather than enabling certain behaviors.

Basically agree with everything you hit on. Good response.

Blog Entries

The only issue i have with this comment and im not trying to start a religious debate nor imply anyone here is guilty of this: I have an issue with people who act a certain way because of the reward at the end of the tunnel ( fear based) rather than doing things just because there the right thing to do. I believe im a good person and i dont need anyone to hold me accountable other than myself to do the right thing. Also this could be another reason for whats happening in this country, society isn't holding people accountable for things that they should, rather than enabling certain behaviors.

Basically agree with everything you hit on. Good response.
    Fear based is a problem. If it's fear based it's selfish. In a parable Jesus told he says fear based won't work. I could go on but I won't turn it in to a religious thread either.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Fear based is a problem. If it's fear based it's selfish. In a parable Jesus told he says fear based won't work. I could go on but I won't turn it in to a religious thread either.
    You ever watch the show called Vikings?