Mountain Biking, Hiking, or any outdoor activities.....

Lately I have been getting more active ie the gym, hiking, etc. I am wanting to get into some mountain biking since there are so many areas around here to do it. Was just curious if there is any others MBs or hikers, rock climbers, whatever. Figured this thread would be idea for anyone with questions of anything in the such.

As far as MB, any pointers to buying my first one? I am not going to go spend a grand on one, but id like to get one that's not just a 100$ wall mart bike, unless someone talks me into it.

Re: Mountain Biking, Hiking, or any outdoor activities.....

Hope people contribute on this. My wife wants to get into hiking and climbing and biking sound fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I enjoy hiking quite a bit. I'm out in Frederick, MD and there are some really great trails for all experience levels.

I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, so I picked up one of those backpacks where I could carry the 2-year old in the back while hiking. It is surprisingly comfortable.

I enjoy mountain biking, but I haven't done it in years. I actually don't own a bike right now, but have been looking every now and then at purchasing one.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Yea here in SD we have so many different kinds of terrain, I want to make use of it. Doing cardio at the gym for me is so boring unless its basketball, but I would to get out more since I live in what of the nicest cities. Maybe ill get a go-pro, think that would be fun because you never know what will happen in some of these places.

So glad to see this thread and I may be a little late to the party...

I live in Utah and am BIG into mountain biking! And hiking. For buying a bike - DO NOT BY A WALMART BIKE!! You should spend at least $800.00 or more if it is something you are looking to do long term. There are many used bikes on the market at very reasonable prices.

Go to MTBR.com for bike reviews, and forums discussing bikes at all levels. Hope this helps and enjoy the trails!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    So glad to see this thread and I may be a little late to the party...

I live in Utah and am BIG into mountain biking! And hiking. For buying a bike - DO NOT BY A WALMART BIKE!! You should spend at least $800.00 or more if it is something you are looking to do long term. There are many used bikes on the market at very reasonable prices.

Go to MTBR.com for bike reviews, and forums discussing bikes at all levels. Hope this helps and enjoy the trails!
    I've never done mtn biking so im not sure if I can sit here and say that an 800$ investment on something Im not sure im going to like is worth it. I planned on a couple hundred, I have been reading a lot on there and looking on used sites and local craigslist stuff.

Also, I drive a civic hybrid so I would have to figure out how to work the logistics on that. I put this off lately but about to get back into since my works air show is over.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I've never done mtn biking so im not sure if I can sit here and say that an 800$ investment on something Im not sure im going to like is worth it. I planned on a couple hundred, I have been reading a lot on there and looking on used sites and local craigslist stuff.

Also, I drive a civic hybrid so I would have to figure out how to work the logistics on that. I put this off lately but about to get back into since my works air show is over.
    Look at Jensonusa.com as they have some clearance bikes, both hard tails and full suspension bikes under $700 and $900 respectively. You should demo some bikes at the local bike shop to see how you might like mountain biking before spending on a bike. Just be careful on a cheapo bike...you will not get the same experience OR enjoyment on the trails!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    Look at Jensonusa.com as they have some clearance bikes, both hard tails and full suspension bikes under $700 and $900 respectively. You should demo some bikes at the local bike shop to see how you might like mountain biking before spending on a bike. Just be careful on a cheapo bike...you will not get the same experience OR enjoyment on the trails!
    What would you define at cheapo? And what would be good brands to look for used?

Avoid the dept store bikes like Huffy.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/video-179-hu...-on-a-dh-trail

A good entry level would be Diamondback, Trek, GT, and Kona.

MTBR.com has forums that discuss reviews and price ranges on used bikes and entry level MTB's.

I've seen diamondback a lot, so was curious about them. Thanks!

Great deal on a hard tail MTB for those looking to get into mountain biking!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamondback...&ul_noapp=true