Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I was excited about Deonte Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Could be true. I honestly think The Ravens viewed Torrey Smith as their most dangerous receiver and figured Tandon Doss would step his game up and would be a similar player as Anquan Boldin. Doss was one my favorite receivers in The 2011 NFl draft and some thought he would go in the second round. I honestly have no clue why he didn't work out because the guy was pretty talented receiver in college but it is what it is.
    Flacco thought the same thing :

http://wnst.net/baltimore-sports/rav...s-opportunity/

I guess that's why he's a QB and not a GM... Bc

P.S. - one of their few highlights :

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-catch-and-run

2. Re: I was excited about Deonte Thompson

Could be true. I honestly think The Ravens viewed Torrey Smith as their most dangerous receiver and figured Tandon Doss would step his game up and would be a similar player as Anquan Boldin. Doss was one my favorite receivers in The 2011 NFl draft and some thought he would go in the second round. I honestly have no clue why he didn't work out because the guy was pretty talented receiver in college but it is what it is.
    Doss was soft, which is always going to make a bad impression on both coaches and teammates. Remember how a few teammates were openly critical of him for not being willing to play through minor ailments? Add in that he had a poor work ethic and was not properly and fully prepared when he was on the field, and that's why he's now out of the league.

Clarence Moore was much more of disappointed moreso that every year the CS said he was going to arrive then got injured or totally disappointed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Because the team ask them to do too much and they don't seriously look at skillset as it compliments their scheme and QB. I have always felt that Joe would've benefited from a big physical receiver who could get downfield. Imagine if the Ravens had figured out how to trade up to get Mike Evans(The Ravens thought Evans would fall to them because they thought teams still drafted receivers like it was 2000 instead of 2015) or to a lessor degree simply drafted Kelvin Benjamin instead of CJ Moseley. The team doesn't get that having that huge target can make a world of difference for Flacco and transform the offense. Instead they sign veterans who have peaked(Wallace, Maclin), Past their prime(Sr.) or draft guys that don't fit(see any number or receivers they've drafted). Also this organization just doesn't have an understanding nor feel for offense. It's not that hard but they seem to go out of their way to play as if its the mid aughts with defense and just enough offense. The beginning of the end for Parcell's was when he took Jake Long over Matt Ryan. It made absolutely no sense. If he had traded out he could've gotten Ryan or Flacco and a boatload of picks and maybe we wouldn't have seen this dominance from NE. The beginning of the end for Ozzie is not building around Flacco even if it meant walking away from veteran defenders that were past their prime or drafting defensive lineman as if he didn't have enough. If the Steelers were as closed minded Bruce Arians very well could be their HC but Ben would've been out the league by now because in that offense he took an absolute beating. They improved the oline, got lucky with Antonio Brown(not to mention Mike Wallace turning down the contract AB eventually tool) and just flat out hit a homerun with LeVeon Bell. They also ask all of their receivers with the exception of Brown and Bell to do one specific thing. For example Darius Heywood-Bey stays in Pittsburgh because he likes just being a deepthreat.....and he's somewhat decent at it.

It ain't that hard you just have to be committed to developing.
    Great post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It has to be the scouting. The Ravens like to keep scouts for a very long time. They need to look for some new scouts for the WR position. What they've been doing for years just isn't working.
    Actually I feel like they have shifted gears in the last 3-4 seasons. I like the guys that they are taking chances on recently. Now the problem is injuries, not inability.

• Perriman – inconsistent but clearly can play at an NFL level. If he can get on the field.
    • Campanaro – Playmaker when available. Can't stay healthy.
    • Keenan Reynolds – Raw, but clearly has talent. That punt return was a play.

From this year's crop, Tim White and Attaboyjoe look like players as well.

These prospects all seem to be a different kind of player, than Tandon Doss or Justin Harper or Streeter or David Reed or Deonte Thompson were. I'm more relaxed about the kind of prospect the Ravens have been bringing in at WR, than they used to. Hell, even Darren Waller.

We haven't seen the productivity yet. But the prospects seem different, to me.

Perriman has the ability to go deep consistently and make contested catches. I honestly expect him to have a pretty good season this year and build off what he did last year.
    Well, I did too, before we brought in Maclin and then Perriman pulled his hammy.

How many other Deonte Thompsons have we seen in previous years?

Patrick Johnson
    Yamon Figurs
    David Reed
    Tandon Doss
    BJ Sams
    Marlon Brown

Every year there was this 1 player that was going to break out and it was normally the WR position because that position has eluded the great and powerful Oz his entire career and none of those players ever panned out in regular season really.

Good for Deonte but how long was it going to take for him to make an impact here?

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post

Patrick Johnson
    Yamon Figurs
    David Reed
    Tandon Doss
    BJ Sams
    Marlon Brown

Every year there was this 1 player that was going to break out and it was normally the WR position because that position has eluded the great and powerful Oz his entire career and none of those players ever panned out in regular season really.

Good for Deonte but how long was it going to take for him to make an impact here?
    Justin Harper
    Randy Hymes
    Clarence Moore
    Aaron Mellette
    Demetrius Williams...all those guys were hyped at some point in camp.

Then there are guys like Derek Abney who was supposed to be a good kick returner, Devard Darling who never showed anything despite being a look like Tarzan, play like Jane guy. Same with Tommy Streeter. Ron Johnson. Marcus Smith.

Blech...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

forgot Devard Darling, Eron Riley and Devon Drew.

Do other fan bases obsess with late round/UDFA wr prospects like we do. It has been this way for over 10 years and we still haven't hit on one.

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    Do other fan bases obsess with late round/UDFA wr prospects like we do. It has been this way for over 10 years and we still haven't hit on one.
    Tim White will break the trend... next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post

Patrick Johnson
    Yamon Figurs
    David Reed
    Tandon Doss
    BJ Sams
    Marlon Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Justin Harper
    Randy Hymes
    Clarence Moore
    Aaron Mellette
    Demetrius Williams...all those guys were hyped at some point in camp.

Then there are guys like Derek Abney who was supposed to be a good kick returner, Devard Darling who never showed anything despite being a look like Tarzan, play like Jane guy. Same with Tommy Streeter. Ron Johnson. Marcus Smith.
    Its funny but I think a lot of those guys would have had better success with different OC's. Reed and Doss I think would have been much much better players in a WCO where their short area burst and route running were strengths, yet we drafted them for an AC offense. Guys like Streeter and Brown (waller too) were likely better fits for the AC, using their height/speed downfield yet, were drafted for a WCO, where none of them really are precise route runners or good with burst, just long speed.

Its always intriguing to me to consider/project how much that plays a role in players success or failure.
    -JAB