Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brent Urban

Brent Urban

When Urban came out of college, some scouts called him a "poor man's JJ Watt". I think I remember someone in the Ravens FO talking after the draft and saying he was a 2nd round talent who got bumped down a couple of rounds because of his injuries. To my eye, Urban has always been extremely productive whenever he was healthy enough to play. A review of the stats from last year comparing him to Lawrence Guy seem to support that he contributed quite a bit last year with limited playing time (less than 1/3 of Guy's)
    SNAPS: Guy 486 Urban 150. SACKS: Guy 1.0 Urban 2.0. SOLO TACKLES: Guy 14 Urban 4.
    TOTAL TACKLES: Guy 28 Urban 10. PASS DEFENDED: Guy 0 Urban 2

He is also so good at using his height and getting his arms in the passing lanes that there is no way to know how many times this has caused an opposing QB not to make a pass. He played like a beast last night and if we get a healthy season out of him playing next to our beasts at DT, he could be a huge factor. EDIT: corrected tackle stats
    Last edited by Mark; 08-11-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Re: Brent Urban

This defense is stacked. The talent is unreal. If the corners hold up, it will be elite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    When Urban came out of college, some scouts called him a "poor man's JJ Watt". I think I remember someone in the Ravens FO talking after the draft and saying he was a 2nd round talent who got bumped down a couple of rounds because of his injuries. To my eye, Urban has always been extremely productive whenever he was healthy enough to play. A review of the stats from last year comparing him to Lawrence Guy seem to support that he contributed quite a bit last year with limited playing time (less than 1/3 of Guy's)
    SNAPS: Guy 486 Urban 150. SACKS: Guy 1.0 Urban 2.0. SOLO TACKLES: Guy 0 Urban 4. TOTAL TACKLES: Guy 14 Urban 7.
    PASS DEFENDED: Guy 0 Urban 2

He is also so good at using his height and getting his arms in the passing lanes that there is no way to know how many times this has caused an opposing QB not to make a pass. He played like a beast last night and if we get a healthy season out of him playing next to our beasts at DT, he could be a huge factor.
    Didn't he block an extra point or fg maybe multiple ones last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Re: Brent Urban

Yea he did. He is a big (literal) asset on special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Didn't he block an extra point or fg maybe multiple ones last year

Pretty sure he deflected that one for the kick-6 in Cleveland in 2015 that Will hill ran back.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Pretty sure he deflected that one for the kick-6 in Cleveland in 2015 that Will hill ran back.
    His first game action as a Raven after injuries that year and year before. Awesome moment for him I'm sure

Blog Entries

Urban is our current Art Jones, Pernell McPhee, if he stays healthy he is in his big payday year and we should at least see a 5th comp, maybe a 4th, we did use our first 4th in 2014 to get him (Taliaferro was the second 4th)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Oh Canada!

"Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

His home and native land

But will we be able to keep him for his greatest years?
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Oh Canada!

He grew up 15 minutes away from me. Played in the same hockey league as him but he is 5 years older.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    But will we be able to keep him for his greatest years?
    That was what I was referring to a couple of posts up ... this is his last year here if he stays healthy

He is a beast and someone will pay (overpay?) him well beyond what we can afford to keep him, but it will be fun watching him emerge this year