Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Politics Surrounding Collin Kaepernick

I though ClericBlackDave had a great post in the Kaepernick Football Thread and wanted to use it as the basis for creating this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave
    Just catching up. First off, we need both some lessons in basic civics and some history classes.

First off, don't throw around the work Traitor and Treason lightly. Kaepernick is not a traitor nor has he committed treason. When you misuse words like that because you are parroting what you heard someone else say on shock radio or am message board something, you water down the meaning of said words and end up on the end of a broken / deceiving thought process.

Treason - the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government. Kaep's protest, which is protected by perhaps the most important part of the constitution, the supreme law of the land - is NOT TREASON.

Protesting the Vietnam War was not treason. The Civil Rights movement was not treason. Protests against the effort to take away this healthcare are not treason.

Secondly, what I see a lot on this issue regarding Kaep is blind nationalism. The kind of thing that actually lead to fascism (and we're getting close as a country).

There were those who probably called MLK a traitor. That didn't like the way he went about his protest. Those that called protesting the Vietnam war Treason. And again, they were both misusing / overusing the words, and really just falling victim to blind nationalism.

Nationalism is different that Patriotism. Patriotism is a love of your country, but it isn't blind. You believe in your country, and want it to be the best it can be. And you're willing to take said actions to move the needle and change its direction, when needed.

People hated Muhammad Ali when he didn't serve in a war he felt was immoral and unjust, and protested. They didn't like Jackie Robinson. I'm not saying Kaep is either of those athletes. I'm saying that standing up for what you believe in . . . making a perhaps valid critique of ones country . . . is NOT treason. Nor is it even necessarily a lack of Patriotism.

I think about what the Unions did striking and protesting to get the 40 hour work week. The 2 day weekend. Workers rights. Ending child labor. Fair wages. All of that struggle wasn't popular.

I'm not even saying anyone has to like Kaep or what he's saying. I'm saying look at the Constitution, and respect that its his right, and its the first right in the Bill of Rights because its very important. It was very important to the founders. It's a part of what makes us great, and what we all should be trying to protect.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: The Politics Surrounding Collin Kaepernick

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I though ClericBlackDave had a great post in the Kaepernick Football Thread and wanted to use it as the basis for creating this thread.
    Dope

Blog Entries

As I've said before, as a vet, I don't particularly care that Kaepernick chose to sit or kneel for the anthem. Doesn't really bother me.

Related, but not that relevant, of an anecdote...

I was talking to my wife last night and she was telling me about how two of her colleagues are naming their kids names that can have "gender neutral" nicknames like "Chris" or "Nikki"...etc. It kind of got me thinking and I just cannot understand how we, as a society, have gotten to the point where we have to worry about our kid's names possibly being offensive because they're gender-specific.

Similar to Kaepernick's chosen method of protest, I don't get why their kid's names have to be considered for what is/isnt offensive. Anyone that is offended by Kaepernick's method of protest is directly choosing to be offended. He's not asking you or anyone else to do it. He's not even asking you or anyone else to agree with him. It's only offensive if you let it be offensive. I don't choose to sit or kneel for the anthem. I served. I support good LEO officers and departments. His protest has ZERO impact on me.

I'm not offended by it and no one else should be offended by it either.

I do admit that I think his choice to wear "pigs" socks at practice and do interviews wearing a Che Guervara tee shirt were childish, immature, and shows his mentality. But again, not offended by it.

The media wants you to be offended and divisive, one way or the other. That's what they want. The media, in many ways, is akin to a predator or a militaristic entity conducting psychological warfare. If we, as a nation, stopped getting offended by every, little, fucking minute thing...most of this crap would just go away.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-02-2017 at 03:58 PM.

I'm with Wicked almost word for word. I personally don't get it.

The most ironic thing I've found is that people are saying he's shitting on America yet he's invoking one of the biggest pieces of American pride (from what I've observed) which is the constitution.

If Kap was making a statement that was outlandish and ridiculous and doing it the way he was I'd understand it. But he has some legitimate claims in regards to systematic racism and treatment by law enforcement.

He's clearly read a lot of Angela Davis, which is scholarly writing on how the prison became an extension of slavery. I encourage you guys to read some of her work. It's very in line with Kap.

If this was coming from some stupid opinion like the Westboro Baptist Church have when the invoke their right to expression (whcih is pure hate) then I would get it. But this is legitimate criticsms and the man is entitled to his opinion just like you are to either like or not like it.

Personally, I use sports to get away from real life. I dont give a fuck who's on my team. I just want to win on Sunday.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I think Bisciotti is very concerned about the politics surrounding this player though. It's pretty evident.

Blog Entries

Great perspective in this post!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'm with Wicked almost word for word. I personally don't get it.

The most ironic thing I've found is that people are saying he's shitting on America yet he's invoking one of the biggest pieces of American pride (from what I've observed) which is the constitution.

If Kap was making a statement that was outlandish and ridiculous and doing it the way he was I'd understand it. But he has some legitimate claims in regards to systematic racism and treatment by law enforcement.

He's clearly read a lot of Angela Davis, which is scholarly writing on how the prison became an extension of slavery. I encourage you guys to read some of her work. It's very in line with Kap.

If this was coming from some stupid opinion like the Westboro Baptist Church have when the invoke their right to expression (whcih is pure hate) then I would get it. But this is legitimate criticsms and the man is entitled to his opinion just like you are to either like or not like it.

Personally, I use sports to get away from real life. I dont give a fuck who's on my team. I just want to win on Sunday.
    Agree.

Our country is literally built on protesting.

Kaep can protest for anything he wants. Protests are meant to draw attention. How you react is up to each individual.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Bisciotti is very concerned about the politics surrounding this player though. It's pretty evident.
    Yeah. Too bad because it seems like from a football perspective they all agree

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here are a couple observations of mine:

1. Yes, America allows for protest, but it does not necessarily protect the consequences of it. If fans don't like their team signing Kaepernick, they in turn can boycott the team. The NFL should allow its players to protest because of the anti-trust violations it makes.

2. I find it hilarious when Baltimoreans complain about Kaepernick. This is a town that yells "O" during the National Anthem. Talk about another form of disrespect.

Think of it as us protesting Kap saying incredibly stupid things.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I just find it a tad comical or maybe ironic, that we live in a country where people praise being an American, all the freedom we have, and the moment someone uses the first amendment to speak on a subject someone disagrees with, said person is met with this kind of blowback and hatred. Our entire country was founded upon standing up for something you think is right, doesn't mean you are right, but you have the freedom to do that.

The bashing on him is getting out of control, I could careless about his protest, I just want football. The more this keeps going on takes away the conversation from football and turns to politics and we all know how ugly that can get.

The fact that I am a veteran just, like others on here (Wicked), and could care less about what he is doing, should give a message to most civilians to chill the fuck out.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I just find it a tad comical or maybe ironic, that we live in a country where people praise being an American, all the freedom we have, and the moment someone uses the first amendment to speak on a subject someone disagrees with, said person is met with this kind of blowback and hatred. Our entire country was founded upon standing up for something you think is right, doesn't mean you are right, but you have the freedom to do that.

The bashing on him is getting out of control, I could careless about his protest, I just want football. The more this keeps going on takes away the conversation from football and turns to politics and we all know how ugly that can get.

The fact that I am a veteran just, like others on here (Wicked), and could care less about what he is doing, should give a message to most civilians to chill the fuck out.
    From someone living outside of the US - this is EXACTLY what I see.

We got talking about it in the Trump thread - Americans have a very unique (and I'm not saying this in a critical way) idea of what freedom is. It's much different than other countries. I think this is a good showing of it.

Personally I use sports to get away from real life and I don't like to mix the two. People seem hell bent on including poilitics in every aspect of their life though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB