Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RSRFL Season II

1. Re: RSRFL Season II

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    1. Removal of home field +1? I agree.

2. PPR is not going away. I worked real hard a couple of years getting it right and from what I have seen and researched not to mention one of my players is in like 20 leagues for big money, agrees it works.

3. Defensive points were intentionally high. I have toyed with the idea of adding defensive players, but it really complicates lineups in regard to injuries. That being said, defense to me is a major part of the game that is underappreciated in fantasy. By my logic, just picking any old defense at the end of the draft or rotating it throughout the year with whatever is lying around to keep better offensive players isn't in the true nature of the game. Good defense should be rewarded and it is an important aspect of the game.

4. Kicking point system that Ex brings up correlates to the importance of having a good kicker, much like the defense not getting love so I am open to changing that this year. What say the rest of you.
    I would be down with rewarding longer field goals 4, 5, and 6 pts), as long as the converse is also applied. In other words, if the Ravens trot out Tucker to attempt a 62 yard fg right before halftime, it shouldn't be -3, and missing an extra point should really hurt.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Re: RSRFL Season II

I agree home field advantage in fantasy is silly - all for ditching it.
    Whatever version of PPR you use is okay.
    I liked D scoring as well. IDP is fun but the scoring doesn't always reflect the true value of the players as well.
    I'm okay adding extra points for the kicking distances (10 for 60 seems extreme but I guess 60+ field goals are extreme, -6 for missed FG also seems extreme).

BTW - I think setup currently has a keeper - we doing that??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Find #20 on every play"

My takes on the scoring settings:

1. Get rid of the homefield advantage.

2. Agree that the PPR settings seem a little odd. Based on how it is currently, its basically 0.5 points per 10 receptions, meaning you're at 0.05 PPR?
    If that's the current setting, what exactly is the point of that? I mean there's only a handful of guys a week who are catching 10 balls, and you'd have to catch 20 in a game just to get 1 fantasy point?

Just seems like a wasted stat. Even leagues that don't do much in PPR usually give 0.10 PPR, so at least 10 catches gets you a full point.

Me personally, I'm not a big PPR fan, just because its usage has gotten out of control. The entire purpose of PPR was to bring WR values in line with RB values, as back in the day RBs were literally the only thing that mattered in fantasy. Since the NFL has shifted towards RB usage in the passing game and a massive expansion in pass attempts, WRs are pretty much already in line with RBs, even without the need for PPR.

To me, either go like 0.25 or 0.50 PPR, or don't do it at all. Just really doesn't accomplish much from what I can tell.

Additionally, you've valued RB carries at the same as receptions, which I would say is a big mistake. Basically guy who catches 20 passes in a game gets the same number of "volume points" as a guy who gets 20 carries a game. Obviously, guy getting 20 carries a game is more far, far, far more frequent than guy catching 20 passes. Similar conversation though... don't really see the value here. You get 1 point for 20 carries... that's pretty meaningless.

3. I understand why people like the bonus points for "milestone" yardage, but I'm just generally not a big fan. Guy gets 2 points more for having 201 yards compared to a guy who has 199 yards. Nobody would bat an eye at the difference in those two stat lines, but he gets 2 points just for crossing an arbitrary number.

4. Fine with the consensus on kicking distances... higher points for longer kicks, less points lost for missing long one's.

Would also point out that since PAT's are 32 year FGs essentially, in my eyes, they should count the same both in makes and misses as a 32 yard FG.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I agree with +1 for home field advantage being removed.

I would like to remove PPR too. The scoring system didn't make sense to me. Either it should be a 0.25 or 0.5 per reception. No yards IMO. It's PPR not PPRY. But I will go with what the board wants.

How do the defensive points work? They seemed insaenly high last year a lot of 20+ points.
    I don't agree. PPR should be applied. Otherwise you're severely limiting the number of quality receivers WRs that are available.

For example, without PPR, a receiver/tight end that has 6 receptions for 80 yards just gets 8 points. A different receiver that has 2 receptions for 20 yards and a TD gets either the same (if TD's count for 6points) or 9 points (if TD's count for 7pts).

I don't think PPR should be astronomical, but I think .25 or .50 points per reception is fair.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

1. Removal of home field +1? I agree.

2. PPR is not going away. I worked real hard a couple of years getting it right and from what I have seen and researched not to mention one of my players is in like 20 leagues for big money, agrees it works.

3. Defensive points were intentionally high. I have toyed with the idea of adding defensive players, but it really complicates lineups in regard to injuries. That being said, defense to me is a major part of the game that is underappreciated in fantasy. By my logic, just picking any old defense at the end of the draft or rotating it throughout the year with whatever is lying around to keep better offensive players isn't in the true nature of the game. Good defense should be rewarded and it is an important aspect of the game.

4. Kicking point system that Ex brings up correlates to the importance of having a good kicker, much like the defense not getting love so I am open to changing that this year. What say the rest of you.
    I'm def open to adjusting kicker points.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't agree. PPR should be applied. Otherwise you're severely limiting the number of quality receivers WRs that are available.

For example, without PPR, a receiver/tight end that has 6 receptions for 80 yards just gets 8 points. A different receiver that has 2 receptions for 20 yards and a TD gets either the same (if TD's count for 6points) or 9 points (if TD's count for 7pts).

I don't think PPR should be astronomical, but I think .25 or .50 points per reception is fair.

Not really limiting anything. All you're doing is shifting how value particular WRs are. You're putting more emphasis on TDs and yardage than you are on receptions.

Again, the entire concept of PPR is to make WRs as valuable as RBs, not to make one class of WRs more valuable than another. We could argue all day long about which one of those two stat lines you're rather have on an actual team.

We've seen guys who catch 10 balls for like 60 yards. I personally don't think that's really worth rewarding, because 6.0 YPC is a pathetic stat line by any possible metric.

I honestly don't care if we do PPR or not, but for PPR to have any real value at all, it probably needs to be at least 0.33 per reception or higher. Doing like a 0.1 or 0.05 PPR (current setting) doesn't make any WRs more valuable than anybody else... you'd still rather have the guy who catches 10 TDs over the guy who's catching 130 passes, because the receptions just aren't going to lead to many points.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Not really limiting anything. All you're doing is shifting how value particular WRs are. You're putting more emphasis on TDs and yardage than you are on receptions.

Again, the entire concept of PPR is to make WRs as valuable as RBs, not to make one class of WRs more valuable than another. We could argue all day long about which one of those two stat lines you're rather have on an actual team.

We've seen guys who catch 10 balls for like 60 yards. I personally don't think that's really worth rewarding, because 6.0 YPC is a pathetic stat line by any possible metric.

I honestly don't care if we do PPR or not, but for PPR to have any real value at all, it probably needs to be at least 0.33 per reception or higher. Doing like a 0.1 or 0.05 PPR (current setting) doesn't make any WRs more valuable than anybody else... you'd still rather have the guy who catches 10 TDs over the guy who's catching 130 passes, because the receptions just aren't going to lead to many points.
    Catching 10 passes isn't worth rewarding?

Count how many games last year a WR had 10 catches. If there were any, it's VERY few. Very few.

And when I say limiting, I mean it is limiting from a roster perspective. It's the difference between someone like Jason Witten (who may not get in the end zone much, but he gets a lot of receptions) and Jimmy Graham who is more of a red zone threat, but may not catch as many passes. It's just a balancing act.

I'm not saying 1 point per reception...I think 0.25 per reception is probably fine...so basically, 4 catches would be 1 point. 4 rec, 80 yards, and 1 TD would be 15 points whereas 4 for 80 would just be 9 points.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Catching 10 passes isn't worth rewarding?

Count how many games last year a WR had 10 catches. If there were any, it's VERY few. Very few.

And when I say limiting, I mean it is limiting from a roster perspective. It's the difference between someone like Jason Witten (who may not get in the end zone much, but he gets a lot of receptions) and Jimmy Graham who is more of a red zone threat, but may not catch as many passes. It's just a balancing act.

I'm not saying 1 point per reception...I think 0.25 per reception is probably fine...so basically, 4 catches would be 1 point. 4 rec, 80 yards, and 1 TD would be 15 points whereas 4 for 80 would just be 9 points.
    Would depend. In general, 10 receptions is worth rewarding for more than the receptions. Its worth rewarding because, in most cases, you're looking at an over 100 yard game. So that's worth rewarding, and the current format does so.

If a guy somehow manages to catch 10 passes for like 70 or 80 yards, I'd be highly unimpressed. I'm actually not sure what he did in that game that was relevant. He's basically Dennis Pitta at that point.

We're probably splitting hairs in regards to giving that many points per reception, and I agree that like a 0.25 or 0.33 format makes perfect sense.

I'm merely pointing out the flaws in the PPR system. Again, it was designed to bring WRs even with RBs in terms of value. I think those days are long, long, long gone, even without a PPR system. Even in a standard scoring league, you're seeing at least 3 or 4 WRs going in the top 10, based as much on yardage/TDs as it is on receptions. In fact, if you really look at like the top 10 WRs in fantasy, very few, if any of them, are there based on volume of catches. They're there because they're all out there averaging like 12-15 YPC, and scoring TDs.

Blog Entries

Greetings, here is the area where we talk about the up coming season. Since I run multiple leagues, I heard no grousing over the rules as they are standard across all my leagues. But GWNR raised issue with scoring on Special Teams and Defense so let the bitching commence.
    Hey Cap'n - is this league still happening? I haven't gotten an email yet about draft date/time...

10. Re: RSRFL Season II

And, are we all set on scoring - is everything finalized?

Yeah it says on the website that we're doing 1 keeper for this year, but none for next year? Is that correct?

12. Re: RSRFL Season II

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Yeah it says on the website that we're doing 1 keeper for this year, but none for next year? Is that correct?
    How do we keep a keeper if we weren't The League last year