Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Urschel Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    This right here!!
    To wait until the very start of camp is bullshit IMO.

Certainly he has every right to do so and don't begrudge his decision to do so but the timing of his decision couldn't be worse!
    One could potentially speculate that his timing was/is almost planned that way for a reason when you pick the worst possible time to do it.
    I think it was 100% planned

He's a smart guy,he didn't just make this decision yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by GullyGill View Post
    I think it was 100% planned

He's a smart guy,he didn't just make this decision yesterday
    What benefit does he get from this mastermind plan of retiring at TC during his rookie contract?

if he just received some massive signing bonus, I would understnad this perspective. This just sounds like an emotional reaction with a tin foil hat on.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    You don't find it curious that it's two days after the CTE report came out?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...tires-abruptly
    Could it be?
    Certainly but I don't think a smart guy like that needs a study conclusion based on donated brains of previous players that were known to have suffered brain trauma to come to that conclusion.

"In January, Urschel told HBO's "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel" that his passion for playing football outweighs the risks of suffering head trauma."

Maybe the announcement the other day changed his mind and he was already on the fence after the quoted sentence above from January, but the timing is questionable in my mind.

Who knows, maybe as others have said the amount of other bodies brought in to compete swayed him as well.

Maybe it's just me and the way I rolled through in my working life but putting my employer in a potential bind the day before my employers busy season started never entered my mind unless I was pissed off or they did something that pissed me off.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Could it be?
    Certainly but I don't think a smart guy like that needs a study conclusion based on donated brains of previous players that were known to have suffered brain trauma to come to that conclusion.

"In January, Urschel told HBO's "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel" that his passion for playing football outweighs the risks of suffering head trauma."

Maybe the announcement the other day changed his mind and he was already on the fence after the quoted sentence above from January, but the timing is questionable in my mind.

Who knows, maybe as others have said the amount of other bodies brought in to compete swayed him as well.

Maybe it's just me and the way I rolled through in my working life but putting my employer in a potential bind the day before my employers busy season started never entered my mind unless I was pissed off or they did something that pissed me off.
    Do you do a job that puts your health at risk everyday you go to work?
    Do you do a job that only lasts 10-12 years?
    Edit - serious questions, I have no diea what you do for a living.

There is no incentive to him purposely "putting them in a bind" 1 day after TC started. That's why I don't understand why that would be the assumption.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Lol at people getting pissed at the timing. You act as though he intended to screw the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    In all the WRONG ways!

For those counting at home, down

-Starting slot CB for season
    -Starting RB for season
    -Starting QB 1-6 weeks
    -Back-up G/C permanently

Can we get some GOOD effing news?!?!?!
    You forgot
    - Starting TE for forever. (Might end up being addition by subtraction, but still.)
    - #3-4 TE or #5-6 WR -- whatever the hell you want to call Waller -- suspended for the year
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    Yeah, I never thought he was going to make it to his 2nd contract. He needs that brain to be sharp as a tack for his future career. That recent CTE report probably hastened his retirement, even though he probably already has CTE.
    Fist thing I thought of when I heard the news. Hopefully he does not have CTE, though.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm still not convinced that Mangold will be healthy enough to play this year
    I'm not either. Ravens might have to hope for a veteran to get cut or make a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    I'm not either. Ravens might have to hope for a veteran to get cut or make a trade.
    Trades are tough. Zuttah was a rare starting-quality guy that the team was movign on from (when we got him from TB).

There's so few quality starting C's that you're either trading your depth guy which gives us another Jensen or you're getting a broken down/declining guy.

We got lucky that we got Zuttah originally. He played well at the beginning.

Now tradign him looks even worse.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Lol at people getting pissed at the timing. You act as though he intended to screw the Ravens
    I'm not so sure that the Ravens didn't already know this was eventually coming and had planned for it. They did draft two guards. The front office certainly has alternative plans for such contingencies. It's not like CJ Mosley walking away on September 1st or anything.

On another note, he's got solid career options. There are plenty of guys in the NFL who don't and they are killing themselves for our entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It's not like CJ Mosley walking away on September 1st or anything.
    You had to go and say that out loud, didn't you?