Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Kenneth Dixon knee surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    From what I'm reading, there are two reasons that the Ravens are happy with the RBs they have:

1. According to PFF, Dixon was the #3 rated rookie RB in the NFL last year. You can bet the Ravens are anxious to see what he can do with a year's experience behind him. I'm betting he ends up getting most of the carries by the end of the season.
    2. Both Dixon and West had good yards after contact last year. Much better than the Ravens have had in previous years.

I think it's a bit unreasonable to assume the Ravens would acquire someone like Maclin and then also go get a top running back. Especially when the backs they had are looking good.

As far as Taliaferro is concerned, I'm betting he makes the team because he has proved he can run the ball well and catch out of the backfield. The only thing that will prevent him from making the team is if he can't block well enough.
    1. I'm sure they are. Except he won't have a years experience behind him. Perhaps after THIS SEASON, he will have actually played 16 games. He basically missed half of last season, and will likely miss a good chunk of this one as well.

I'm not even suggesting he's not a talented player. He very may might be. But there's a lot of talented guys who's injuries or suspensions keep them from making it in this league, and if he's not a major contributor this season, you're looking at 50% of his rookie contract being shot.

2. West is also a FA going into 2018, so you have no idea if he will even return. If he has a great season, then you have to pay more than what you paid this year to keep him and give him so guaranteed money. If he doesn't, then we're putting our faith in Dixon as our primary runner. Kind of risky based on what I've seen so far.

3. I didn't say I expected both to happen, though I will say that using a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a RB wouldn't have altered our decision to sign Jeremy Maclin. If we had signed somebody like Murray or Peterson, then yes, signing Maclin likely is off the table. But drafting another fresh set of legs early wouldn't have changed that.

But mostly, what signing Maclin indicates to me is that this team isn't expecting to run the ball 450 times like they did in 2014. If you were actually committed to running the ball in the current season, and wanted to guarantee that you did it, you probably invest in Rick Wagner instead of Brandon Williams, and you probably go buy yourself a Center instead of buying Jeremy Maclin.

I'm not even saying I would have done those things, because I probably wouldn't. But its a really, really, really tough sell (bordering on impossible sell) that you're now highly committed to the run game, when you let an All-Pro level RT walk, you cut your Center, and replace neither until training camp with anything other than guys who were already on the roster and haven't shown much. And then the only RB you sign is a pass catching RB and then go sign a possession receiver.

I mean at this point, they can say whatever they want. You can bring in Greg Roman and say "yeah we're going to run the ball a lot more", but from a personnel and scheme standpoint, I just don't see it. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

And I think they'll even try it. I think they'll come out in a lot of games and try to establish the run. And we will plodder along at somewhere around 3.5-4 YPC and tote it 10-15 times, and we'll figure out our offense isn't doing much with that, and we'll get away from it.

As for Taliaferro, he's barely played in 2 years, and I didn't think he was much better of a short yardage, power back than Forsett was when I watched them both play in 2014. If he makes the team, its as a blocker, and I'd take the under on about 50 touches for the season. Only way I see him getting north of that is as a FB role like Juice, or if there's more injuries at RB and he's the only left standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Just goes to show all this run first power running football talk is nonsense. It's going to be a pass first offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While our offense skill wise looks better, we do NOT have the horses to be pass first offense. Unless we completely morph our passing routes into something brand new (its not happening)

Quote Originally Posted by temp19 View Post
    Why don't we bring Tre Mason in for a look? I remember him being a great running back but had some personal issues. Could be a nice second chance story.
    Just because West turned things around doesn't mean Mason will. But yeah, he definitely had the goods coming out of college. Incredible cut and acceleration. Idunno, maybe he got Rams-ified. They had more skill talent than their production showed for years.

Shout out to De La Soul

Didn't like our situation at RB before the draft and like it even less now. I don't know how severe this injury is but I don't like Dixon's chances long term. Bottom 5 unit in the league.

We're going to have to really hope our OL just about carries the ball for them or for Flacco to turn into a top 5 QB this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Didn't like our situation at RB before the draft and like it even less now. I don't know how severe this injury is but I don't like Dixon's chances long term. Bottom 5 unit in the league.

We're going to have to really hope our OL just about carries the ball for them or for Flacco to turn into a top 5 QB this season.
    I certainly don't see the oline morphing into a top 5 unit, however.............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Repair, not trim.

Out 4-5 MOS.

Aka entire season.

Per rapoport

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

The fWo is just sitting back and laughing...................................to keep from crying.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Repair, not trim.

Out 4-5 MOS.

Aka entire season.

Per rapoport

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Carlos Hyde suddenly looks a lot more enticing.

God damn I love this time of year.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

I want Ray Rice....
    Way Down South in New Orleans

11. Re: Kenneth Dixon knee surgery

and he makes the third out for the year.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Carlos Hyde suddenly looks a lot more enticing.
    I give up a low round draft pick now to get him. Dixon out for the year, can't wait and see if Hyde gets released. He needs reps with the offense now.

Hyde was productive last year 988 yards and 4.6 Y/A, call John Lynch now Ozzie.