Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Huh? Nobody took OKC seriously? Or Cleveland? Or San Antonio? I mean come on man...
    Yeah not sure why the market size matters. San Antonio isn't a huge market and has been a consistently good team for 20 years.

IMO the difference between the NBA and the NFL is that NFL teams usually are built through the draft. Trades are rare.

I do give GSW credit for drafting Green, Thompson and Curry. What pisses me off is KD signing with them. Now, he was obviously within his right to sign with whomever he chooses. But it definitely ruined the competitiveness around the league. They're ridiculous and anything less than winning the next 3 championships (barring injuries) would be disappointing.

It doesn't work that way in the NFL - remember when the Eagles built the "Dream team" in 2011, signing Asomugha, Rodgering-Cromartie, Babin, etc. How'd that work out? 8-8. Teams in the NFL and NBA are simply built differently.

In any sport there will be powerful teams, but the way they're built in the NBA is different than most sports.

So, yes there have always been super teams, but the difference is how they were built. Even the Celtics were built differently because htey traded assets to land Ray Allen and KG. Lebron started it by having him and Bosh sign in Miami and then KD went over the top IMO. Like fuck GS already had a ring and almost had another if it wasn't for Lebron.

Look at the 80's Lakers:
    - Traded for Kareem
    - Drafted Magic
    - Drafted Worthy
    - Traded for Scott

IMO it's the free agency building that has limited the NBA's competitiveness.

I also agree that having 7 game series limits the upsets. Take the Giants for example, would they have beat NE twice in 7 game series? I personally don't think so.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

They've got Derrick Rose now so they'll be aight...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Hold up now. Kyrie is an incredible ball handler and can finish at the hole better than anyone in the league, the way he uses his left hand is incredible. To say he isn't a superstar, kind of a reach in my opinion.

Kyrie just wants out of Cleveland before Lebron leaves and into turns back into a wasteland. But not playing next to Lebron is going to give him a rude awakening, egos can really ruin careers, which is why I find it very impressive what the Warriors are doing together.

I never remember watching regular season games, like someone eluded to, with a 7 game series the better team almost always wins.
    Kyrie is good but he's not build around me I'm the number 1 guy good, he disappears during games, he plays zero defense and one player can take him out of a game. That's not a true number 1 star player in the NBA. he is a very good to great number 2 guy, a support player in a support role, Cavs won with and without Kyrie, Cavs can't go nowhere without Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    D-Rose was actually not horrible last year. I think playing in an offense with Lebron would actually help him. Lebron can be the catalyst driving the lane and kicking the ball out.

In NY and CHI that was Rose's role. Melo would sit out and wait for an open shot. Swithc those around and Rose can be more effective at this stage of his career.

Kyrie is obviously a far better player, but I like D-Rose
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    this can be a a good duo if and we know what the big IF is with Derrick Rose.

Blog Entries

"Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    this can be a a good duo if and we know what the big IF is with Derrick Rose.
    Rose = CampinIRo

Made of glass

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

8. Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Look at the 80's Lakers:
    - Traded for Kareem
    - Drafted Magic
    - Drafted Worthy
    - Traded for Scott

IMO it's the free agency building that has limited the NBA's competitiveness.

I also agree that having 7 game series limits the upsets. Take the Giants for example, would they have beat NE twice in 7 game series? I personally don't think so.
    The Lakers did have some luck. Didn't they get the first overall pick from Cleveland during the Ted Stepien Error? The Byron Scott trade was risky, but paid off in the end. They traded Norm Nixon to get Scott. Nixon was an all star level point guard, on a team that had Magic, but having Nixon allowed the Lakers to use Magic in many unique ways. People remember Magic playing center against the Sixers in Game 6 of the 1980 Finals, but this never happens if they don't have Nixon to run the point while Magic played center. The Nixon/Scott trade probably cost the Lakers the championship in 1984, as Nixon was an all star level player at that time, and Scott was far from that in 1984. However, the trade paid off later in the decade, as Scott became an integral part of those last two championship teams, at a time when injuries had pretty much finished Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Kyrie is good but he's not build around me I'm the number 1 guy good, he disappears during games, he plays zero defense and one player can take him out of a game. That's not a true number 1 star player in the NBA. he is a very good to great number 2 guy, a support player in a support role, Cavs won with and without Kyrie, Cavs can't go nowhere without Lebron.
    Oh I completely agree that Lebron is what makes the Cavs able to compete. But to say not to build around him imo isn't quite right in the aspect of what the NBA is, I mean, how many players can you really build around in this league that play PG. I would easily take him over Westbrook, I think we get skewed a bit because Kyrie plays with Lebron and doesn't take on the normal duties of a PG, I will however agree about his defense, which not too many 'superstar PGs' play defense these days.

You could do a lot worse than Kyrie building a team, but I am all for him leaving and doing his own thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    D-Rose was actually not horrible last year. I think playing in an offense with Lebron would actually help him. Lebron can be the catalyst driving the lane and kicking the ball out.

In NY and CHI that was Rose's role. Melo would sit out and wait for an open shot. Swithc those around and Rose can be more effective at this stage of his career.

Kyrie is obviously a far better player, but I like D-Rose
    except derrick rose is a horrible shooter. under 30% from outside. That wont work at all as described. It would be better if he kicked it out to an open LBJ, as much shit as he gets for his shooting, hes light years better than Rose.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    except derrick rose is a horrible shooter. under 30% from outside. That wont work at all as described. It would be better if he kicked it out to an open LBJ, as much shit as he gets for his shooting, hes light years better than Rose.
    this. He is an explosive pg with out the explosiveness that cant shoot. It's a good signing if he is coming off the bench.
    Last edited by usmccharles; 07-27-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Except he doesn't have to be taking 3's.

Watch the defense when Lebron drives. He draws 2-3 guys just baout everytime.

What does that do? Pulls the defense out of position. Rose is nto a good 3 shooter, but he shot pretty well from mid-range last year.

A kick out against a defense out of position means you can shoot right away, take a few dribbles and pull up (Which was always a strong suit of Rose is whole career, his pull up jumper at the elbow), drive it into the paint without going to the hoop, etc.

I used the Melo example becuase he's a spot up shooter. Doesn't mean he has to be a spot up shooter.

What I'm saying is Rose doesn't need to run the offense and be the bowling ball in the paint.
    - Ray Lewis