Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Kyrie Irving requests a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I don't see where the NBA sucks. Xs/Os it's better basketball than before. And the talent is deeper. Two problems:

a) players, agents and coaches arranging bad trades and signings to create so-called super teams
    b) players and coaches realizing they don't have to put effort into some regular season games

I think other sporting bodies have worse problems.
    You pretty much explained part of why it sucks after your "I don't see how it sucks" statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    You pretty much explained part of why it sucks after your "I don't see how it sucks" statement.
    This.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Something doesn't make sense. If Kyrie's issue is that he doesn't want to play with LeBron and wants to be the focal point of the team, if LeBron leaves, he will have all of that in a year, plus a max contract.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

That team is a mess.
    I hope Lebron does leave while he is still playing at a high level

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Something doesn't make sense. If Kyrie's issue is that he doesn't want to play with LeBron and wants to be the focal point of the team, if LeBron leaves, he will have all of that in a year, plus a max contract.
    And he still won't win anything either way because the Warriors are the only team in the NBA right now so you're right, it doesn't make any sense. The only logical option he has is to join the Warriors or convince Curry that Durant bumped uglies with his mother while the rest of the roster recorded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That team is a mess.
    I hope Lebron does leave while he is still playing at a high level
    Crazy how a top 3 team in the league is considered "a mess."

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think Kyrie doesn't want to get stuck on a Cavs team full of marginal players (assuming Lebron leaves) and bad contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

And he still won't win anything either way because the Warriors are the only team in the NBA right now so you're right, it doesn't make any sense. The only logical option he has is to join the Warriors or convince Curry that Durant bumped uglies with his mother while the rest of the roster recorded it.
    I think we've had enough of mothers getting involved with players.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

There's report out that Kyrie would be willing to play for San Antonio. Okay, firstly, Leonard is the man there. Secondly, just putting up offense and playing like you're defending a lay-up line on defense won't cut it while playing for Popovich. Thirdly, he'd still have to consider who San Antonio would have to give up to bring him there.

You'll never have a story like the 2003 Carolina Panthers enter the playoffs as a wild card team and win the NFC Championship.
    That has more to do with the NBA playoffs being 7-game series, than anything else. The best team almost always wins each series.

Gary Williams used to talk about that all the time when he was coaching. He would say that the great thing about the NCAA tournament is that, if you're playing a better team, you don't have to beat them in a 7-game series. You just have to play better than they do in this ONE game. The opportunity is there. And of course when Gary retired, he owned more upset wins against #1-ranked teams than any other coach in history.
    (I miss Gary.)

Hockey and MLB also have 7-game series. But the variability of pitchers and the existence of goalies put big monkey wrenches of randomness into their postseason results. The NBA doesn't have anything like that. Instead they have a long game with lots of possessions (courtesy of the shot clock), which tends to favor the better team in each game; and they have a 7-game series, which tends to favor the better team in each series. So the playoffs come to seem inevitable.

I think they should make a couple tweaks. They should shorten the season by 5 or 10 games; and/or shorten the games by 4 to 8 mins. No chance in hell they do either, but that might mitigate some of the going-thru-the-motions slog of the regular season.

I don't agree that the NBA's product is inherently broken. The GSW's are insanely popular; I think this past Finals got good ratings. Individual playoff games are compelling to watch. (They really do play defense in the playoffs; and they're incredible defenders when they're trying.) The place to look for proof is not Golden State or wherever Lebron is. The San Antonio Spurs are proof that the NBA is doing something right. They won 61 games this past season. And I don't know if you noticed, but Tim Duncan was nowhere to be found. Tony Parker only played 25 mins a game; Ginobili was under 20 mins. The Spurs did it with smart drafting and player development and a system. And brilliant coaching. No Lebron, no KD, no Curry. That's fucking amazing. If a team can still be good, very damn good, and competitive at the highest level without the luck of the lottery or any superteam free agency moves, then that's a very positive sign.

Too bad the Wizards will never amount to anything.

Blog Entries

The first round needs to be best of 5 again.