Page 5 of 274 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2017 Training Camp / Preseason

John Harbaugh isn't annointing anyone at Center or RT. Is pretty clear these are open spots that someone is going to have to win. No player is going to be pencilled in

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    John Harbaugh isn't annointing anyone at Center or RT. Is pretty clear these are open spots that someone is going to have to win. No player is going to be pencilled in
    Yeah. That's why I'm thrown off by most of the board saying it's Jensen or Mangold.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...eview-defense/

Defensive preview. The battle on the DL is going to be interesting.

Personally I could see them going with this on running downs:

DE - Urban
    NT - Williams
    DT - Pierce

And this on passing downs:

DE: Williams/Judon
    NT: Wormley
    NT: Kaufasi/Pierce
    DE: Suggs
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

DE - Urban
    NT - Williams
    DT - Pierce

I like that passing down line.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DE - Urban
    NT - Williams
    DT - Pierce

I actually expect to see one more bigger LB stick his hand in the dirt like Upshaw and McPhee did quite frequently. On longer downs they will allow the mismatch and expect that even if they run at it, they won't get first-down yardage. If the opponent passes, they won't have much time to get the play off. This is actually something I've seen them do quite a bit, and with the SAM position in flux and considering the different options, they could mix in a good deal of variation in there considering the newly added speed and talent of Bowser & Williams with Correa and Mosely. Everyone looks at the pass rushers as the key, but good QBs have an outlet ready. The real key is can the guy who drops into coverage win his matchup or cover his zone against the slot receiver/RB/TE? This is where the speed of Bowser and Williams has the potential to really start to strangle teams.

Example:

DE: Williams/Bowser
    DT: Wormley/Kaufasi/Pierce
    DT: Suggs/Z Smith/Judon
    DE: Judon/Suggs

They frequently do a look where all the players crouch on the line and it's anybody's guess who will rush the passer and who will drop into coverage. Throw Urban's and Kaufusi's abilities to either rush the passer and/or occasionally drop into a short zone (I can hear the board scream now, but if you don't think it works watch what Marvin Lewis did to us last year), and it all makes for quite a nightmare to game plan against.

Blog Entries

DE - Urban
    NT - Williams
    DT - Pierce

I am excited to see what Kaufasi can do. He is one who could come out of nowhere...Carl Davis need to step up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Is there proof that Zuttah and Ducasse were Castillo guys?
    Who remains and who is gone? That's proof enough for me.
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Well maybe. It didn't bother me when he looked overmatched as a rookie, because he was a rookie. I thought he was decent in the 2014 postseason. For 2015, I'm not one of the crowd who blames him for Flacco's injury. I thought anyone could have gotten submarined and tripped the way he did on that play.

But I haven't studied any film or anything. If you say Hurst has been terrible, I'll have to concede it.

Couple things, all mild but trending the same way.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/...kle-for-ravens

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-3146e0205f15

Of course I take your point that OTA's, and all non-contact drills, don't tell us very much about O-linemen. And obviously coaches don't tend say that the players sucked after minicamps. But a couple of those quotes are a little more than the coaches absolutely had to say in response to a question. It sounds like he made a positive impression.

The lineman tend to play pretty rough.....Non-contact somewhat applies, but not completely. They are still putting hands on one another and having to coordinate their footwork and blocking schemes. Pads or no, they go at it enough to show if someone has some glaring technique/footwork problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    An excellent point. However looking at previous battles.......I have observed that the first guy lining up with the 1's come camp time is the heir apparent for the position. Coach speak to the press questions is normal procedure. Also looking to get guys motivated and keep them motivated. Barring injury, I would say the guy lining up in front of Flacco on day one of camp is the starter. JMHO and from observing how that plays out in prior years.

Blog Entries

"Forget about an honest man. I'm looking for a starting Center and Right tackle."

... Bc

On the Ravens official site, in today's Late For Work column, Sarah Ellison did some pre-training camp roster projections. The one I found most interesting is that Maxx Williams was listed as "On the bubble". This, in spite of the fact that another category was "Lock if healthy". If Maxx is recovered from his surgery (i.e. healthy), I can't imagine he'd be on the bubble. He still seems like the guy with the most upside as a receiving TE who can replace Pitta.

I guess the expectation is that he'll start on PUP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    On the Ravens official site, in today's Late For Work column, Sarah Ellison did some pre-training camp roster projections. The one I found most interesting is that Maxx Williams was listed as "On the bubble". This, in spite of the fact that another category was "Lock if healthy". If Maxx is recovered from his surgery (i.e. healthy), I can't imagine he'd be on the bubble. He still seems like the guy with the most upside as a receiving TE who can replace Pitta.

I guess the expectation is that he'll start on PUP.
    I think your right. Unless there has been a real change in philosophy I'd be very surprised if they completely cut ties with Maxx. Arthur Brown was let go after year 3. That's more in line with give up time on a second round pick than 2 years. They're more likely too start him on PUP and then stash him on IR for the year than release him