Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Best Raven's Skill Player to Ever Suit Up

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    i didnt say his performance as a ravens - best offensive player to ever play for us
    In that case its either Sharpe or SSSr. I dont think anyone else can come close

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Like I said above, I don't see the point in mentioning a player as a great for the Ravens when the stats they put up while playing for us where mediocre. Obviously Sharpe is a all time great, but he did nothing spectacular stat wise here.
    I'd argue that he won us a Festivus Maximus (his coined phrase) Super bowl, and we wouldn't have done it without him

He got the ball from Jamal after he bobbled it against Denver and ran it back for a TD, he caught a huge pass that set the Ravens up for a TD against Tennessee
    Double teamed in the SB he caused Stokley to get open ...

at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

And fast forward to :53 to hear JO credit Shannon with turning around the team attitude
    with his season catch this game

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    I'd argue that he won us a Festivus Maximus (his coined phrase) Super bowl, and we wouldn't have done it without him

He got the ball from Jamal after he bobbled it against Denver and ran it back for a TD, he caught a huge pass that set the Ravens up for a TD against Tennessee
    Double teamed in the SB he caused Stokley to get open ...

man i was yelling at PJ to not trip up sharpe LOL

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Technically Devin Hester was a Raven too :) Greatest return man of all time.
    Good call, but I couldn't put him ahead of Smith Sr, Sharpe or Boldin.

The real question in my mind is, would the HOF committee vote Hester to Canton? No one is in there who was almost a strict returner. Guys like Gale Sayers and Floyd Little had significant yards from scrimmage.

Regarding Derrick Mason, yes he did have a heckova career, but it falls short of Smith/Bolden who are both likely HOFers some day (aka not first ballot).

The RBs (Lewis, Rice, Holmes) all had historic seasons, but none of them had the longevity to measure up to the top three. Of the RBs I'd pick Jamal with the #1 career.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 07-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

I believe Steve Smith Sr. is going to be a first ballot HoF'er. Derrick Mason was a VERY solid player and the 2nd best WR to suit up in a Ravens uni for sure. Ray Rice and Jamal are hard to ignore, and then you have the Heap, Dallas Clark level guys. I would also throw Willis McGahee and Lorenzo Neal in there. Lorenzo in his prime...man I loved watching that dude. Sam Gash was fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    The real question in my mind is, would the HOF committee vote Hester to Cooperstown?
    I think he's got as good a chance at Cooperstown as he does of Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I think he's got as good a chance at Cooperstown as he does of Canton.
    That's what I get for writing about football while listening to baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    My bad, thanks.

So you've got one guy in the HoF (Sharpe,) and two that are probably headed there eventually (SSSr and Boldin.)

Then you have your Hall of Almost guys (Mason, Jamal, Priest.) If they had done a little more, or a little longer, they would be in the HoF consideration.

Then you have your guys who were real good for awhile at some point in their careers (Heap, Rice, Clark.)

Then you have Torrey and Housh, but I'm not sure why either would be mentioned in the same breath with the others. Might as well list Qadry Ismail.

And then you have Breshad Perriman.
    I think Heap may have been HOF if he had decent QB play and not Boller. He always made shit throws that got him killed and took years off his career because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSizzle55 View Post
    I think Heap may have been HOF if he had decent QB play and not Boller. He always made shit throws that got him killed and took years off his career because of that.
    Maybe. It's been really hard to get to the HOF as a TE in the past, but now we're headed into the golden age of TE play. Tight End has benefited even more than WR in today's pass-happy NFL. Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten are locks - and Antonio Gates and Rob Gronkowski have probably punched their tickets. Then you've got Greg Olsen, Heath Miller, Jeremy Shockey, and Dallas Clark all with 500 career catches. Todd Heap is tied at 499 with Ben Coates and Jimmy Graham.

To put this in perspective, here is the list of HOF TEs in the modern era:

- Dave Casper
    - Mike Ditka
    - John Mackey
    - Ozzie Newsome
    - Charlie Sanders
    - Shannon Sharpe
    - Jackie Smith
    - Kellen Winslow

That's it. Eight. And we may double that total by a decade from now, depending on who retires when.

Blog Entries

Gates and gronk yes. Olsen,Miller , Shockey, Clark, Heap, Coates, Graham (if he would have stayed in Nor maybe) no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Dallas Clark all with 500 career catches. Todd Heap is tied at 499 with Ben Coates and Jimmy Graham.

To put this in perspective, here is the list of HOF TEs in the modern era:

- Dave Casper
    - Mike Ditka
    - John Mackey
    - Ozzie Newsome
    - Charlie Sanders
    - Shannon Sharpe
    - Jackie Smith
    - Kellen Winslow

That's it. Eight. And we may double that total by a decade from now, depending on who retires when.
    Ben Coates when he retired had a Raven's super bowl ring and was 4th all time leading pass catching TE in NFL history behind Ozzie, Shannon, Kellen
    How many of us remember that Shannon Sharpe and Ben Coates were both on that SB Ravens team?
    Heap tied Coates with 499, was a great number when Coates retired but no more with Gonzales, Whitten, Gates, Olsen, and the following ...

Gronkowski while having name recognition only has 405 catches so hasn't punched his ticket yet, still needs several more high productive years .. just seems like he has done more with all the publicity the media darling cheatriots get. Olsen has 622 catches for comparison 217 more, Heath Miller has 592, Shockey 547, Clark 505 (100 more catches)

LOL Heap has 94 more catches then the great gronk