Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: UPDATE: If The Season Started Today Ravens' Cap Space Would be $845K

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    ahhh I wonder who is a candidate for a restructure?
    Today's Q&A touches on this:

Because of that, it is generally players with larger base salaries who make the best candidates for restructures. So, for the Ravens that means players like Jimmy Smith ($8.5M base salary), Joe Flacco ($6M), Marshal Yanda ($6M), Terrell Suggs ($4M), Eric Weddle ($4M) and Justin Tucker ($2.8M). But, teams would generally like to avoid restructuring players that (1) you’ve already restructured recently, (2) are older/have injury risks, (3) already have very high future Cap numbers and/or (4) you might be looking to, or have the need to, cut in the near future (2018).

So, based on that, there’s only one really safe option for a restructure is Tucker. But, restructuring Tucker only creates about $1.333M in Cap space, so, obviously, they would have to still look elsewhere.

The other candidates all really come with drawbacks.

Restructuring Smith creates the greatest amount of Cap space – $5M – but Smith was already restructured in 2016, is coming off of 2 straight injury-plagued seasons and already has high Cap numbers in 2018 ($13.1M) and 2019 ($13.6M).

The Ravens also restructured Yanda in 2016 and, while offensive lineman can play well into their 30’s, Yanda will turn 33 in September, so age is a consideration. Restructuring Yanda would create $3.33M in Cap space, but would raise his 2018 and 2019 Cap number to close to $11.8M.

Suggs and Weddle, because of age, also aren’t prime candidates for restructures, but can create some additional Cap space – $1.5M for Suggs and $2M for Weddle.

While there has been plenty of discussion amongst fans about Flacco taking a paycut, it’s not going to happen and doing a restructure with Flacco really doesn’t make much sense either because it will raise his already high 2018-2021 Cap numbers. With that said, a simple restructure for Flacco (again, he’s not giving up any money) would create $4M in Cap space if they decided to go that way.

So, the Ravens are going to have some difficult decisions to make if/when they look to restructure a deal or two. The guess here (and it’s just a guess) is that some combination of Tucker, Yanda and Weddle would be the most likely path for the Ravens.

http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...ens-make-room/
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Because of that, it is generally players with larger base salaries who make the best candidates for restructures. So, for the Ravens that means players like Jimmy Smith ($8.5M base salary), Joe Flacco ($6M), Marshal Yanda ($6M), Terrell Suggs ($4M), Eric Weddle ($4M) and Justin Tucker ($2.8M). But, teams would generally like to avoid restructuring players that (1) you’ve already restructured recently, (2) are older/have injury risks, (3) already have very high future Cap numbers and/or (4) you might be looking to, or have the need to, cut in the near future (2018).

So, based on that, there’s only one really safe option for a restructure is Tucker. But, restructuring Tucker only creates about $1.333M in Cap space, so, obviously, they would have to still look elsewhere.

Restructuring Smith creates the greatest amount of Cap space – $5M – but Smith was already restructured in 2016, is coming off of 2 straight injury-plagued seasons and already has high Cap numbers in 2018 ($13.1M) and 2019 ($13.6M).

The Ravens also restructured Yanda in 2016 and, while offensive lineman can play well into their 30’s, Yanda will turn 33 in September, so age is a consideration. Restructuring Yanda would create $3.33M in Cap space, but would raise his 2018 and 2019 Cap number to close to $11.8M.

Suggs and Weddle, because of age, also aren’t prime candidates for restructures, but can create some additional Cap space – $1.5M for Suggs and $2M for Weddle.

While there has been plenty of discussion amongst fans about Flacco taking a paycut, it’s not going to happen and doing a restructure with Flacco really doesn’t make much sense either because it will raise his already high 2018-2021 Cap numbers. With that said, a simple restructure for Flacco (again, he’s not giving up any money) would create $4M in Cap space if they decided to go that way.

So, the Ravens are going to have some difficult decisions to make if/when they look to restructure a deal or two. The guess here (and it’s just a guess) is that some combination of Tucker, Yanda and Weddle would be the most likely path for the Ravens.

Thanks Rave, it doesn't look like there is too much wiggle room to restructure some of these guys.

Blog Entries

This is what has Ravens fans wrongly thinking that other teams are going to have similar issues. The Ravens have been damaged significantly by bad contracts. If you continue to draft well and don't get caught up in dead money you'll be fine. If you have great coaching, it makes drafting easier. The Ravens have a great Head Coach whose in a funk right now, because while the defense has structure its leader is weak and while the offense has a decent Coordinator its structure is hardly existent. It's going to be extremely difficult to develop young talent under those circumstances.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Agree with this. To me the only real viable option for a "restructure" to create cap space is Joe. If you could take $3-4M of his salary and convert a bonus and spread it out, you're only adding like another $1M to his cap hits in future years. Since he's already staring at cap hits close to $25M, I'm not sure $1M each year is going to make a difference.

Granted, you're taking non-guaranteed salary and guaranteeing it in the form of a bonus, but if we assume that 2020 is basically the first year we start talking about life after Flacco, you're basically just adding about $1-2M in dead money to the $8M in dead money that's in that year. $10M obviously is quite a lot of dead money in that case, but that also creates over $18M.

I agree that the rest of the players don't make much sense from a restructure standpoint. I'm not sure we want to keep making Jimmy's cap number bigger, given his age and durability concerns, and the other guys like Suggs and Yanda may not be long for this team for too much longer (I think this is Suggs last year actually).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Agree with this. To me the only real viable option for a "restructure" to create cap space is Joe. If you could take $3-4M of his salary and convert a bonus and spread it out, you're only adding like another $1M to his cap hits in future years. Since he's already staring at cap hits close to $25M, I'm not sure $1M each year is going to make a difference.

Granted, you're taking non-guaranteed salary and guaranteeing it in the form of a bonus, but if we assume that 2020 is basically the first year we start talking about life after Flacco, you're basically just adding about $1-2M in dead money to the $8M in dead money that's in that year. $10M obviously is quite a lot of dead money in that case, but that also creates over $18M.

I agree that the rest of the players don't make much sense from a restructure standpoint. I'm not sure we want to keep making Jimmy's cap number bigger, given his age and durability concerns, and the other guys like Suggs and Yanda may not be long for this team for too much longer (I think this is Suggs last year actually).
    a thousand times no. Why dig the hole deeper, let the contract play out.

Ravens are going to have to get through this with what cap space they have; they're not the first club.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

Ravens are going to have to get through this with what cap space they have; they're not the first club.
    Depends how close the front office thinks this team is. If they feel they are a Mangold away from competing go for it. Kick Joe's number down the line. The team will probably be bad for several years after they lose Joe go for it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say adding 1M/year isn't the usual "kick down the road" they usually do. Typically they're adding a lot in future years.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

1. Well they certainly don't "have" to get through it that way if they don't want. They can cut players, they can restructure contracts. 31 other NFL teams have done similar things this offseason and every offseason.

2. Again, I don't think you're actually looking at the dollar terms. It would be very difficult for somebody to have any basis for thinking that an additional $1M in cap space 3-4 years from now is somehow so detrimental to the franchise that it shouldn't be considered. Seems wildly off-base.

If we were talking about adding $3-4M to each year in the future, sure, I see the problem.

The reason in this case "digging the hole deeper" isn't really that relevant is because you can take about 1 foot out of a hole that will likely be like 180 feet deep in 3-4 years, to help fill a hole that's maybe 3-4 deep right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I will say adding 1M/year isn't the usual "kick down the road" they usually do. Typically they're adding a lot in future years.
    And that's the point. There's only a maximum of $6M that you could restructure with Joe, and realistically its only like $4-5M. That's basically $1M a year.

So are people saying that a $28.25M cap hit in 2020 is acceptable (his current cap number), but a $29.25M cap hit in 2020 is outrageous and its not worth adding a respectable offensive lineman right now?

Really, really, really tough sell.

Blog Entries

And that's the point. There's only a maximum of $6M that you could restructure with Joe, and realistically its only like $4-5M. That's basically $1M a year.

So are people saying that a $28.25M cap hit in 2020 is acceptable (his current cap number), but a $29.25M cap hit in 2020 is outrageous and its not worth adding a respectable offensive lineman right now?

I think people are saying we don't want another long term commitment to Flacco; let this one play out. At least that's what I'm saying.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think people are saying we don't want another long term commitment to Flacco; let this one play out. At least that's what I'm saying.
    I do agree with that, but again, adding 1M per year (if that would even make sense - I honeslty have no idea) isn't making a longer term commitment in the way that his other restructure was.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

The more you kick out the more likely you are going to need to restructure him before he gets to the end of the contract. As it stands right now the Ravens should have some cap flexibility back starting in 18. They should be able to handle his numbers in 18', 19' and hopefully 20. The team is getting younger with the 20' season where they will have a bunch of important players to extend. Try and keep as much cap space as possible so that you can sign Stanley, Lewis, Young, Canady before 2020. You also have the potential contracts of Moseley, Perriman and Maclin in 19.

I don't like pushing doubt on a franchise QB you are not going to cut. QBs pay is rising and it only makes extending him more painful.