Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: This Mob Mentality against Law Enforcement is getting on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Lol...I'm just going to assume that you realize that this is just comedy and doesn't begin to scratch the surface of how minority communities are to deal with systemic racism within our police departments.

This is how chris rock actually feels about the issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.mic.c...nce-in-america

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    Lol...I'm just going to assume that you realize that this is just comedy and doesn't begin to scratch the surface of how minority communities are to deal with systemic racism within our police departments.

This is how chris rock actually feels about the issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.mic.c...nce-in-america
    Are you saying that race plays into all or most situations that have a negative outcome with police? Or just that there is some racism present in some police departments in the country?

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand what you're saying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Are you saying that race plays into all or most situations that have a negative outcome with police? Or just that there is some racism present in some police departments in the country?

Not trying to argue, just trying to understand what you're saying.
    Not trying to argue either, I just don't understand why people lend their voice to this issue by saying that they are tired of hearing about something that they themselves haven't been forced to deal with.

There aren't any all inclusive research studies out there that exame/determine what degree race plays in every police encounter with people of color, nor is it realistic to think there could be an accurate study like that anyway. If this is the case then it would stand to reason that nobody is in a position to say how frequent or infrequently it plays a role.

But If people like myself are coming forward saying that they have experiencing it, camera footage continuously surfacing showing misconduct, Department of Justice investigations into specific cities concluding systemic racism at play, then why would you attempt to undermind the issue by saying it's blown out of proportion, especially given the lack of data to indicate how prevalent it may or may not be????

I always hear people frustrated about cops getting a bad name for the random videos that surface here and there but does anyone consider how much corruption goes on in these communities that never sees the light of day?

Blog Entries

Not trying to argue either, I just don't understand why people lend their voice to this issue by saying that they are tired of hearing about something that they themselves haven't been forced to deal with.

There aren't any all inclusive research studies out there that exame/determine what degree race plays in every police encounter with people of color, nor is it realistic to think there could be an accurate study like that anyway. If this is the case then it would stand to reason that nobody is in a position to say how frequent or infrequently it plays a role.

But If people like myself are coming forward saying that they have experiencing it, camera footage continuously surfacing showing misconduct, Department of Justice investigations into specific cities concluding systemic racism at play, then why would you attempt to undermind the issue by saying it's blown out of proportion, especially given the lack of data to indicate how prevalent it may or may not be????

I always hear people frustrated about cops getting a bad name for the random videos that surface here and there but does anyone consider how much corruption goes on in these communities that never sees the light of day?
    I don't think anyone is denying it happens. I'm just trying to understand what you feel. Do you feel that race plays into all or most situations that have a negative outcome with police? Or just that there is some racism present in some police departments in the country?

I would say race plays a role in some. I wouldn't say most. But I have zero evidence on that.

From a law enforcement perspective, I do think there has to be some form of stereotyping to do the job properly. It's like the insurance industry. Rates are higher (at least in Canada) for young males than females. Therefore, young males are seen as worse drivers than young females.

Apply that to law enforcement, certain demographics have a higher chance of being involved in criminality. The problem is, just like the insurance industry in my example, you take that stereostype and apply it to all of a demographic. So I may be the best driver in the world, never get in an accident, but I'm still going to pay more than a female that's the same age as me because of the statistics behind it. It's not my personal actions, it's the actions of my demographic.

Now, obviously, when it comes to insurance it's not that big of a deal. However, when it comes to unfair and unlawful treatment by law enfrocement, it is a big deal. On one hand I think you need to stereotype to do the job properly (and this isn't just for minorities), but on the other hand, that can lead to unlawful treatment. So you need to find the line.

Take that panicky cop in the Castille video. Is he that panicky if he's pulling over a white couple? I doubt it. Did race play a role in that? Personally, I think it did, but I don't have proof of that. I don't know that guys record and I don't know him personally so I have no clue what was going through his head.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I would say race plays a role in some. I wouldn't say most. But I have zero evidence on that.

From a law enforcement perspective, I do think there has to be some form of stereotyping to do the job properly. It's like the insurance industry. Rates are higher (at least in Canada) for young males than females. Therefore, young males are seen as worse drivers than young females.

Apply that to law enforcement, certain demographics have a higher chance of being involved in criminality. The problem is, just like the insurance industry in my example, you take that stereostype and apply it to all of a demographic. So I may be the best driver in the world, never get in an accident, but I'm still going to pay more than a female that's the same age as me because of the statistics behind it. It's not my personal actions, it's the actions of my demographic.

Now, obviously, when it comes to insurance it's not that big of a deal. However, when it comes to unfair and unlawful treatment by law enfrocement, it is a big deal. On one hand I think you need to stereotype to do the job properly (and this isn't just for minorities), but on the other hand, that can lead to unlawful treatment. So you need to find the line.

Take that panicky cop in the Castille video. Is he that panicky if he's pulling over a white couple? I doubt it. Did race play a role in that? Personally, I think it did, but I don't have proof of that. I don't know that guys record and I don't know him personally so I have no clue what was going through his head.
    One of the things that played a role in the Castile shooting IMO, is he thought he looked like a guy that armed a convenient store a day or so earlier. So he IMO definitely was a bit on edge more than normal. Still panicked and was wrong to shoot though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I don't think anyone is denying it happens. I'm just trying to understand what you feel. Do you feel that race plays into all or most situations that have a negative outcome with police? Or just that there is some racism present in some police departments in the country?
    I dont think anyone is saying all cops either. So no I would never say "all" but what I am saying is that without evidence of how often it happens I think that it's irresponsible to undermind the calls for justice and police accountability.

Now belive it or not I could get with you on this idea if the playing field was actually level. So in theory you are correct about stereotyping but statistics show that white people are using and selling drugs at comparable rates to blacks but guess who is statistically way more likely to get arrested for drugs?? Black people!! So when the stats should create a healthy stereotype for both communities to be policed the same, instead all too often we see that they dont. And then when you consider that the overwhelming majority of black people who are in jail are there for non violent drug offenses, it paints a very telling picture.

Blog Entries

I dont think anyone is saying all cops either. So no I would never say "all" but what I am saying is that without evidence of how often it happens I think that it's irresponsible to undermind the calls for justice and police accountability.
    And I think the flip side of that is without evidence of how often it happens I think that it's irresponsible to call for justice of something that could be complete overhyped.

Now belive it or not I could get with you on this idea if the playing field was actually level. So in theory you are correct about stereotyping but statistics show that white people are using and selling drugs at comparable rates to blacks but guess who is statistically way more likely to get arrested for drugs?? Black people!! So when the stats should create a healthy stereotype for both communities to be policed the same, instead all too often we see that they dont. And then when you consider that the overwhelming majority of black people who are in jail are there for non violent drug offenses, it paints a very telling picture.
    Yeah, see the idea of stereotyping as part of the job has to go hand in hand with statistics. So I'm not saying it's okay for them to do it to African Americans at all. Just stating that I do beleive it's a part of law enforcement and I do believe it's justified because there has to be a level of risk management and analysis attached to the job.

That being said, if you're stereotyping without evidence ot back up your claims then it's just personal stereotyping and that is wrong. But, like NCRaven said - he thought it may have been a suspect in a robbery, so his actions are being stereotypes based on that.

If he was that panicked - it would have probably made more sense to ask the gentelemen to step out of the car with his hands up. That would have allowed him to ensure there was no reaching and he could have made a positive ID. While, Castille may ahve been able to do stuff better during the incident, so could the cop. At the end of the day, I think we all agree that cop was just really not good at his job.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

. And then when you consider that the overwhelming majority of black people who are in jail are there for non violent drug offenses, it paints a very telling picture.
    Nonsense. Blacks are in jail for violent crime. There is hardly anyone in jail for simply using. The majority of people in prison for drug crimes are dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Nonsense. Blacks are in jail for violent crime. There is hardly anyone in jail for simply using. The majority of people in prison for drug crimes are dealers.
    I think it depends on context. California's three strikes law for example had 1,282 "Third strikers". 677, almost half, were possession. 302 possession with intent to sell and 197 sale of drugs.

I'd have to see the statistics that you are referring to to better understand the bigger picture. I just know that Cali's three strikes rule was notorious for affecting drug users.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

At the end of the day, I think we all agree that cop was just really not good at his job.
    The police department agreed. He's now a former cop.