Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: This Mob Mentality against Law Enforcement is getting on my nerves.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    I too get some people's frustration, but demonizing all for a small percentage of a groups actions is just irresponsible. How many good cops do something nice for a civilian that get zero coverage but the second a cop does something that can be construed as bad, with zero context, its covered by everyone and reposted on facebook. Being a Marine I had to deal with this, believe or not, a decent amount of civilians don't hold us that highly, (shocking I know) but I learned to ignore those ignorant people, life got better.

That's a hard statement to justify in a certain context. Because over the last 50 years this country has made progress giving more people rights and trying to be more considerate of others 'feelings', sometimes to a fault in my opinion. I get what you're saying, but I don't think its that cut and dry. I honestly put most of the blame on social media.

I look at it this way as a cut-and-dry person. So many Americans demand and want to make what position they support as a right. Rights, rights, rights. I am not a big supporter of that concept. What is taught in American schools is that one's rights only go so far until they infringe on another person's rights. That is what I espouse.

As a country with about 350 million, where would we be if everyone had his/her way?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...port-RAPE.html

Unarmed white woman shot by black police officer. Still waiting on the words "racist" or "riots".

That was sarcasm. What I'm actually doing is waiting for all the information to come out before ramping up into a a "all cops are racists KKK card carrying bigoted assholes who shoot at random *insert race here* people for fun" diatribe.

That was sarcasm too. What I'm truthfully doing is waiting for all the information to come out before judging THIS PARTICULAR cop on this situation. He is not a representative of all cops, all men, or all black people. And I'm also not burning down cities.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...port-RAPE.html

Unarmed white woman shot by black police officer. Still waiting on the words "racist" or "riots".
    You're not going to like this but the reality of the matter is that you're not going to see "racist" until there is evidence, because there is a LACK of precedence for black cops being violent towards white women on the grounds of racism. Especially under circumstances where unfavorable information later surfaces indicating a racial bias the involved black cop had towards white people. Moreover on a larger scale there is a long history right up to present day of systemic racism in the police department, towards communities of color. I challenge you to produce a comparable body of work on the flip side where black police have systemically targeted white communities.

My thoughts and opinions in this post have absolutely nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of this police officer. I dont have any opinions on whether he dislikes white people or not, nor am I commenting on whether it's appropriate or not to assume white cops are racist. I am only attempting to shed some light on the comment you made comparing the assumptions that are applied to white cops vs this officer.

As an example on the flip side, black men do have a history of violence towards themselves, with such a degree of precedence the term "black on black" violence is applied. Have they coined phrases like white on white violence or black on white violence? No, because while i understand people kill people who live around each other, the statistical presedence for black men killing their black neighbors is so much higher it's viewed differently.

Again It's a matter of precedence

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    IMO, I think a lot of the disrespect comes from victim mentality. It's been quite a while that we've been telling people it's not your fault, you're a victim. That breeds contempt against people telling you what to do (cops during a stop/interaction for example).
    Now many cops are arrogant SOB's. That doesn't mean they are bad at their job. There are very few cops out there trying to screw people over IMO. But because they live in a split second life or death world, they need to be forceful (coming off as or being arrogant) and make decisions quickly and for their and others safety. So, yes it may suck you're stopped because you look like a suspect in a crime you didn't commit, but I'm giving a very large benefit of doubt to the cop risking his life in his job. Even if his life is not at risk while stopping you (he doesn't know that).
    Plus the vast majority of shooting/killings by cops could be avoided it the person simply did what the cop asked.
    Good post. It's part of what I was getting at in my little rant.

They have a hard job to do. One of the hardest in our society.

I remember I got in a fight outside a bar when I was 19. Cops show up. Cop breaks it up and grabs me. My adrenaline is pumping and whatnot, but the second I saw it was a cop I stopped, went limp, got cuffed, talked to the cops, explained what happened (Guy dumped a beer on my girlfriends head) and he drove her and I home.

THAT is how you act with authority. I could have resisted and fought back, someone could have filemd it and posted it as police brutality, but I would have been in the wrong, nto the officer. They show up to scenes with no idea what has happened, but they need to make a move to make the situation safe.

Now ther'es always going to be the shit head that is a bad cop. But that is not the majority. It's nto even close IMO. It's a situation where the 5% ruin it for the other 95%.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I remember I got in a fight outside a bar when I was 19. Cops show up. Cop breaks it up and grabs me. My adrenaline is pumping and whatnot, but the second I saw it was a cop I stopped, went limp, got cuffed, talked to the cops, explained what happened (Guy dumped a beer on my girlfriends head) and he drove her and I home.

THAT is how you act with authority. I could have resisted and fought back, someone could have filemd it and posted it as police brutality, but I would have been in the wrong, nto the officer. They show up to scenes with no idea what has happened, but they need to make a move to make the situation safe.
    Compliance, its the key imo. But I would like someone to argue against the fact about "just comply," because I hear all the time its not that easy.

Compliance, its the key imo. But I would like someone to argue against the fact about "just comply," because I hear all the time its not that easy.
    The Castile shooting was one. He had a carry permit, told the officer he had a gun, and was still shot. I, personally, think the jury got that one way wrong.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    The Castile shooting was one. He had a carry permit, told the officer he had a gun, and was still shot. I, personally, think the jury got that one way wrong.
    The cop panicked and overreacted. But that one was not that straight forward. Castile did not follow proper procedure as someone who was licensed to carry. The combination of his actions and a panicky cop led to that shooting.

They might have got a conviction with a bit of a lesser charge IMO. But the problem is what about that shooting was criminal?

I definitely see what you mean and I think this is part of the 5% argument.

Like any profession, some law enforcement officials aren't good at their job. The Castille shooting was just insane to me - I was floored when I first watched it. But some of the discourse I've heard come from that incident is folks making it seem like that was a normal incident. It was not. It was one of the worst displays of policing I've ever seen, and that's after a 4 year criminology degree.

I think often some will take a video like that and use it as an argument when you're showing a very abnormal piece of evidence. Again, 5% ruin it for 95% (maybe 1% in the case of how extreme that incident was) and, while it should be used as a piece in the discussion, I don't think it should be used as a predominant piece of an argument.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The cop panicked and overreacted. But that one was not that straight forward. Castile did not follow proper procedure as someone who was licensed to carry. The combination of his actions and a panicky cop led to that shooting.

They might have got a conviction with a bit of a lesser charge IMO. But the problem is what about that shooting was criminal?
    Being a "panicky" cop doesn't mean you get to shoot someone.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Being a "panicky" cop doesn't mean you get to shoot someone.
    How do I say this? Well....duh!

I said he panicked and overreacted and that is why he shot, not that it was justification for shooting.

Blog Entries

I keep hearing compliance and while I agree that everyone should follow every direction given by a law enforcement offacial...it's not a perfect world and there is a such thing as escalation of force. When unarmed civilians are being gunned down we have a problem.

Blog Entries

I think that anyone who views themselves as an objective reasoning human, you should read this. I feel like a lot of you dont want to come out and directly say it but you really belive the whole race thing is bullshit.

This is a former cops take on the issue.

https://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/866197...police-officer