Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 14151617 LastLast

Re: Remaining Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Cousins is great, but he's shown at least that he's a franchise QB IMHO. I'd pay him.
    yessir, hes not that much far from flacco

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Ahh but there's the very reason they shouldn't. Ignoring the fact that banking on luck will never pan out long term, the "lot of work" aspect implies that an Owner of a franchise is willing to give his GM or talent scouts sufficient time to do that "lot of work". In most cases, this isn't realistic and won't happen.

Here's the thing nobody considers... the #1 priority for ANY GM in this league is NOT to build a winning football team. The #1 priority is to keep his job. Now building a winning football team often helps the first priority, but GM's like their jobs. They get paid well, and they'd like to continue to get paid well. As such, most GM's are going to do what's best for their own jobs.

I get the notion that a team should just start over, and it makes sense from an outsider perspective. But from somebody who's job is actually on the line for those kinds of decisions, it makes a lot less sense.
    These are valid points, i just dont get how an argument can be made not to pay him. Especially considering they have already paid him, what 40mill?

Blog Entries

1. The NFL gets paid for their military saluting and the National Anthem. If they weren't so sanctimonious, they would do it for free, as it should be. However, they are only playing to the sanctimonious fan-base.
    2. Everyone knows why Kaep doesn't have a job. If it was based on his play he would have been out of work years ago. My only issue with it was that people were disingenuously trying to make it about more than what it was. Let's just be real about it.
    3. The NFL is entertainment, not a necessity to life. If it hurts their bottom line more than it helps, I'm not going to knock them for doing what they feel they have to do. Just be honest about it. This league has proven that you can rape, woman beat, cheat, do just about anything you want and manage to find a way back in...............except touch that flag. Unfortunately, some have forgotten the true meaning of the American Flag, but I'm no historian so I'll go no further on that.
    4. If Capt doesn't want to root for the team, that's his right and I feel him. Again, none of us need the NFL (Although we're clearly addicted). It's much like any other show. If I don't like what I'm watching, I stop watching it. I don't go on social media looking for entertainment personalities to be fired from a show that I don't have to watch to begin with. In Capt's case, he didn't do that. He's just choosing not to watch much like I've done with other shows (Or the vast majority of television honestly).
    5. Maybe someone else has spoken to some soldiers who disapproved of what Kaep did. I haven't met any.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

As for Cousins, I wouldn't sign a guy to that type of money without the deepest of convictions.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

the #1 priority for ANY GM in this league is NOT to build a winning football team. The #1 priority is to keep his job. Now building a winning football team often helps the first priority, but GM's like their jobs. They get paid well, and they'd like to continue to get paid well. As such, most GM's are going to do what's best for their own jobs.

End of story.

Blog Entries

Ahh but there's the very reason they shouldn't. Ignoring the fact that banking on luck will never pan out long term, the "lot of work" aspect implies that an Owner of a franchise is willing to give his GM or talent scouts sufficient time to do that "lot of work". In most cases, this isn't realistic and won't happen.

Here's the thing nobody considers... the #1 priority for ANY GM in this league is NOT to build a winning football team. The #1 priority is to keep his job. Now building a winning football team often helps the first priority, but GM's like their jobs. They get paid well, and they'd like to continue to get paid well. As such, most GM's are going to do what's best for their own jobs.

I get the notion that a team should just start over, and it makes sense from an outsider perspective. But from somebody who's job is actually on the line for those kinds of decisions, it makes a lot less sense.
    Cousins has gotten the Redskins nothing but some nice stats. It's very similar the Cowboys Romo teams. The Redskins can win 8 game without Cousins.

If you are going to throw everything behind 1 player you better be sure. Plenty of luck involved in that decision as well. I really like the way Andy Reid is addressing his situation in KC. He knows he's gotten as much from Alex Smith as he can and is looking towards the future. There is no panic in KC. There isn't even any indecision. They examined the situation and made a choice to transition the team. Will they be as successful? Still hard to know but Alex Smith is up soon too and paying him 20+ million carries its own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Cousins has gotten the Redskins nothing but some nice stats. It's very similar the Cowboys Romo teams. The Redskins can win 8 game without Cousins.

If you are going to throw everything behind 1 player you better be sure. Plenty of luck involved in that decision as well. I really like the way Andy Reid is addressing his situation in KC. He knows he's gotten as much from Alex Smith as he can and is looking towards the future. There is no panic in KC. There isn't even any indecision. They examined the situation and made a choice to transition the team. Will they be as successful? Still hard to know but Alex Smith is up soon too and paying him 20+ million carries its own risk.
    1. They can win 8 games without him IF they make several upgrades to several different roster positions. That roster, as presently assembled, might not be an 8 win team with Cousins, and they certainly aren't without him (assuming you just replace him with a draft pick or somebody off the FA wire).

The easiest part is not paying him that money. The hard part is figuring out what to do with that money, spending it wisely, and transforming that extra savings into wins. They're going to spend that money, regardless of whether its on Cousins or 6 other players. And if that money gets spent on 6 other players that don't yield more wins, then not paying him yielded you nothing. That will get the GM fired (or in this case, whoever Snyder has in charge that month).

2. Of course there's no panic in KC, because they don't know anything yet. They've got a 33 year old QB with obvious limitations (the same limitations they knew when they signed him) who's contract is expiring, and they've got a rookie who they have no clue if he can play or not.

If they find out he can, cool. They used a very high draft pick on him and hopefully it works out for them. If they quickly recognize he can't, then they ditched Alex Smith for a guy who can't play. And then you'll see panic as well as probably job changes.

3. Every year there is a team that throws everything behind a player that they're not totally sure of. Heck, most people still aren't totally sure about this Joe Flacco guy. I mean we know what he is, but we also know what he isn't, and it took a lot longer than his rookie contract to figure that out.

Like I said earlier... I don't even really think this has much to do with money. If it was about money, then it would seem irrational to give him nearly $44M in guaranteed money over two years, which is precisely what they've done.

Its about having too many people in that organization with opinions being heard.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

The only problem is at last count, they will have already paid like 44 million for some stats and a guy they may not be totally behind. That seems like insanity.

Blog Entries

Been saying Cousins is gonna be highest paid in the league. Watch.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    1. The NFL gets paid for their military saluting and the National Anthem. If they weren't so sanctimonious, they would do it for free, as it should be. However, they are only playing to the sanctimonious fan-base.
    2. Everyone knows why Kaep doesn't have a job. If it was based on his play he would have been out of work years ago. My only issue with it was that people were disingenuously trying to make it about more than what it was. Let's just be real about it.
    3. The NFL is entertainment, not a necessity to life. If it hurts their bottom line more than it helps, I'm not going to knock them for doing what they feel they have to do. Just be honest about it. This league has proven that you can rape, woman beat, cheat, do just about anything you want and manage to find a way back in...............except touch that flag. Unfortunately, some have forgotten the true meaning of the American Flag, but I'm no historian so I'll go no further on that.
    4. If Capt doesn't want to root for the team, that's his right and I feel him. Again, none of us need the NFL (Although we're clearly addicted). It's much like any other show. If I don't like what I'm watching, I stop watching it. I don't go on social media looking for entertainment personalities to be fired from a show that I don't have to watch to begin with. In Capt's case, he didn't do that. He's just choosing not to watch much like I've done with other shows (Or the vast majority of television honestly).
    5. Maybe someone else has spoken to some soldiers who disapproved of what Kaep did. I haven't met any.

Amen brother

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I believe as of last season the NFL no longer charges the military for their pre-game productions. I know they refunded back like $700K or whatever it was last season when the budget cycle came out and the public realized that the Government was paying millions every year to the NFL for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Been saying Cousins is gonna be highest paid in the league. Watch.
    Until the next decent Qb signs his contract after Cousins.