Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

Just a side point... Drew is 6' and 209.... And is still playing. If Unitas lived today and received the same conditioning as they receive today I have no doubt that he would have survived as Drew has. Concerning players being bigger today than back then is a talking point but not valid. Rocky wasn't the biggest boxer but was considered by many to be the best ever. Besides bigger doesn't mean you hit harder. For example consider the undersize LB named Ray Lewis.

2. Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

If Daryl Stingley was still alive he could attest to how nasty the hits were in the game back then. For those who are to young he was the Patriots receiver who was a quadriplegic after Tatums shoulder to helmet hit. Jack Tatum wasnt nicknamed The Assasin for nothing. He would not make it 4 games without a suspension under todays rules. The players may have been smaller and lighter but they were allowed to deliver hits that could not even be dreamed of today. The men who played the game in Unitas' day were TOUGH. Im talkin makin Yanda look like a wuss. Well, maybe not Yanda, but he would be considered the norm, nothing exceptional when it came to toughness.

watching the old school films on NFLN i am always amazed how much the defenders were allowed to do.
    head slaps, body slams, close lines, shots to the head, ripping helmets off, etc

Start at 0:22

some of these dues would be fined for days LOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    In the 1970s, we saw the best overall quarterback play in NFL history. The best passer in the middle of that era was Bert Jones. If the not the best passer, right up there with Stabler, Staubach & Tarkenton. 1976's NFL Most Valuable Player.
    I agree. Jones was a better QB than Flacco. The Colts team then wasn't as good as the Ravens were for Flacco during the playoff streak, although I don't think the Super Bowl team was the best one of the Flacco era. It just caught fire at the right time- in large part because of Flacco.

Jones's lack of playoff success can be laid at the feet of historically great teams: the Raiders and Steelers or the late '70s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I'm certainly not saying Joe is better then Johnny I'm just saying it's nearly impossible to compare such different eras. That's way before my time hell he was inducted into the hof the year I was born. Did defenses even play zone back then? (Honest question for the older fellas). But I know you couldn't switch the two out. I'm guessing at 6-6 245 Flacco would have looked like a monster and at 6-1 195 Johnny U would have never made it through a pre season.
    The way to compare players from different eras is to look at how they compared with others in their same era.

The easiest way to demonstrate it, imo, is baseball's most famous position: home run king. I think it's clear that Babe Ruth is still the GOAT when it comes to home runs. Others have hit more in a season since he hit 60, and two others have hit more in a career, but neither matched Ruth's accomplishments. Ruth hit 60 in 1927. Only six players that year hit 20 or more home runs. The only team in the American League that hit 60 was Ruth's Yankees, with 158. The runner-up in that category was the Philadelphia Athletics, who hit 58. The A's belted out 61 in '26 and the St. Louis Browns (now the Baltimore Orioles) hit 72, but neither team topped Ruth in '27. Bonds and Aaron don't have anything close to that kind of gap over the rest of the field. Bonds hit 72 in an era when multiple players had hit more than 60. Ruth hit 60 when when no one else had ever slugged 50, and his career 714 happened when no one else had sniffed 500. Roger Connor was the all-time leader in career home runs before Ruth. He hit 138 over an 18 year career. Ruth moved the mark to 714. No player in his time or before had even hit 500 home runs in a career. Lou Gehrig, probably the second-best slugger of that era, hit 493.

There's no other player in baseball history with that kind of accomplishment with the bat. It's probably not even possible to match it.

Shifting it to football, Unitas's record of total yardage occurred in an era where even his own team ran the ball more than passed it, and the QB's he was competing against were facing the same rules. Defenders could practically mug receivers the whole way through their routes. Offensive linemen were a lot more limited in how they could block. Defensive linemen, OTOH, were given much greater leeway in how they could attack the O-line. The rules were much less favourable to the offenses of that era. The rules in the '70s were as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    watching the old school films on NFLN i am always amazed how much the defenders were allowed to do.
    head slaps, body slams, close lines, shots to the head, ripping helmets off, etc

It is amazing how much things have changed. Flags would have come flying from every corner of the field on most of those hits but back then they were just another part of the game.