Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

Bert Jones or Joe Flacco?

LINK

So far 76% of the vote swings towards Bert. You can vote at the link or share your thoughts here.

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Baltimore's 2nd Greatest QB

Bert.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Bert was a pretty outstanding athlete from what I know about him. He had a big time arm - probably just as strong as Joe's.

I think the big thing is whether or not you value the SB MVP over the League MVP in terms of judging who was a better player. The reason why I would give Bert the advantage is because the Colts during his time were pretty bad and he still won the league MVP. Super Bowls are largely team-based, although without Flacco, the 2012 Ravens would likely have not won.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Bert was a pretty outstanding athlete from what I know about him. He had a big time arm - probably just as strong as Joe's.

I think the big thing is whether or not you value the SB MVP over the League MVP in terms of judging who was a better player. The reason why I would give Bert the advantage is because the Colts during his time were pretty bad and he still won the league MVP. Super Bowls are largely team-based, although without Flacco, the 2012 Ravens would likely have not won.
    Hindsight bias being what it is, I'll go contrarian and give it to Flacco. Bert Jones had two solid statistical seasons in the NFL, but doesn't have a ring or the playoff record of Flacco.

We remember Jones's sensational 76 season, but forget the less-than-memorable 12 sack game 5 years later.

Careers being what they are, and the difficulty of comparing two very different NFLs, I don't think one season is enough to outweigh the man who is on pace to cruise by Unitas's Baltimore Football records.

As an oldster who has watched the playing careers of both Bert and Joe, I'd give Bert the edge for now. Yeah, yeah, I know ...Bert never had Joe's postseason success. But in my view Bert was the better athlete, a better pure passer, and played in an era where defenses could get away with more.

Ask me again in a few years, though.

Blog Entries

Marty Domres

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Marty Domres
    Trick Question - Derek Anderson...
    Last edited by bmoreravenous; 07-10-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Can't spell

As an aside, Bert Jones and Joe Flacco are on opposite ends of the pole when it comes to demeanor on the field. Bert was fiery, yelled at his own teammates as well as opponents and at times could be considered a bit of a crybaby. Joe is rather the opposite.

Which shows that success can be had at the highest level regardless of personality type.

Go with Bert. Much more accurate than Joe during an era that was not passer friendly...... Earl Morrall had a mvp season but than he threw super bowl 3

As is often the case, it helps to think about Peak Value versus Career Value.

Peak Value: Bert Jones.
    Career Value: Joe Flacco, and counting.

Blog Entries

This is a tough one. Bert only had 4 or 5 good seasons because he was constantly hurt. He made 1 Pro Bowl and 1 All Pro, both in the same year. He didn't win in the playoffs. It's kind of that classic argument where you have someone who put up great years in a short period of time vs. someone who put up more good years over a longer period of time. A woman I work with who is older and a LSU alum told me years ago that there is still a debate as to whether Bert or YA Tittle was the greatest LSU QB of all time. There are questions about Bert all the way back into college
    Last edited by GOTA; 07-10-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Bill Belichick will occasionally mention Bert Jones when he talks about who was the greatest passer in the NFL. That's good enough for me.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200802020150
    "As a pure passer I don't think I could put anybody ahead of Bert Jones. I know he had a short career and the shoulder injury, but when I was there and he was just starting his career, the success that he had and his ability to throw the ball as a pure passer and as an athlete, it would be hard to put anybody ahead of Bert Jones at that point in time."