Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats & analytics

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    But this implies that teams just now figured this out in 2016...the 9th year of his career.

So teams didn't figure out Flacco's supposed weakness against zone Defense until 9 years in?

Uh...that seems hard to believe.

Surely some team would have figured this out around 2010...2011...2012...2013...

It seems highly implausible that in 2016 they finally figured out his weakness.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Joe has always struggled against zone. Just look at some of his performances against Cinci his first couple of years in the league. There was a while where many of us felt that the Bengals just had his number. Still true to a certain extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats & analytics

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Joe has always struggled against zone. Just look at some of his performances against Cinci his first couple of years in the league. There was a while where many of us felt that the Bengals just had his number. Still true to a certain extent.

I'm stilll not sure that it isn't just a Bengals thing.

Because I'm quite certain other teams have run zone when we played them without major issues from flacco.

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats, analytics...and eventually film!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I know you're just pointing out a stat, but taking this at face value can be misleading.

Joe def needs to play better, but there are several factors at play here.

Absolutely. And you're right...that factoid needs a disclaimer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats, analytics...and eventually film!

If Denver and NE play zone instead of man in that 2013 play off run vs us, we don't make the SB, and Joe is no longer our QB.

Lol joke, idk I swear it was man that we used to struggle with and we excelled against zone defenses with Boldin and Pitta or Heap working the middle. With Rice there as an actual dump off option.

Flacco's struggles have more to do with him than the defensive scheme hes going up against. Inconsistent mechanics in the pocket, decision making, accuracy issues.

I think IMHO, that Joe's struggles are a culmination of everything.
    Constant changing in coordinators and philosophy.
    Changing in Oline blocking schemes.
    Changes at Oline coaching staff.
    Changing of skill personnel all around him.
    Those he developed a connection with, one at a time, were let go or in the case of Rice, outside events.
    And I think winning the super bowl also did something...he lost that edge...they were always so close, and they kept pushing and when they won...that urgency disappeared.
    And yes, after the 2014 season, pass blocking got much worse, resulting in a knee injury.
    And that knee injury saw him throwing off his back foot even more...helping his mechanics erode even more.

He has been a very good quarterback here.
    But it is obvious he needs a supporting cast to allow him to regain his confidence and start stepping into his throws more...that seemed to be happening during the second half of last season.
    Rodgers, he is not. But Dilfer, he is not as well.

Fix the Oline, power blocking scheme. Get the run game going.
    Give him another second in the pocket, I think we will see him revert back to what he used to be.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I think IMHO, that Joe's struggles are a culmination of everything.
    Constant changing in coordinators and philosophy.
    Changing in Oline blocking schemes.
    Changes at Oline coaching staff.
    Changing of skill personnel all around him.
    Those he developed a connection with, one at a time, were let go or in the case of Rice, outside events.
    And I think winning the super bowl also did something...he lost that edge...they were always so close, and they kept pushing and when they won...that urgency disappeared.
    And yes, after the 2014 season, pass blocking got much worse, resulting in a knee injury.
    And that knee injury saw him throwing off his back foot even more...helping his mechanics erode even more.

He has been a very good quarterback here.
    But it is obvious he needs a supporting cast to allow him to regain his confidence and start stepping into his throws more...that seemed to be happening during the second half of last season.
    Rodgers, he is not. But Dilfer, he is not as well.

Fix the Oline, power blocking scheme. Get the run game going.
    Give him another second in the pocket, I think we will see him revert back to what he used to be.
    Great post. I agree completely.

The Ravens can still win with Flacco, but they have to do a better job supporting him. Hopefully Perriman, Wallace, and Maclin can become a catalyst for a renaissance year for Joe.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If Denver and NE play zone instead of man in that 2013 play off run vs us, we don't make the SB, and Joe is no longer our QB.

Lol joke, idk I swear it was man that we used to struggle with and we excelled against zone defenses with Boldin and Pitta or Heap working the middle. With Rice there as an actual dump off option.
    Theres no way to prove it in a statistical thread, but If you have players with High Football IQ, but aging or below average speed and quickness, you would expect them to be able to sit in zones, and be blanketed on Man coverage.

fast forward to current roster, we have a lot of speed, but questionable overall route running and catching. I would expect every team to run zone against us. Hopefully Maclin will excel in that role of Zone busters.

His AY/A (adjusted yards per attempt) over the same period
    2012: 7.2
    2013: 5.4
    2014: 7.2
    2015: 6.1
    2016: 6.0

Or for the better visual: ( 7.2 | 5.4 | 7.2 | 6.1 | 6.0 )

What the hell is "adjusted yards per attempt"?
    http://insidethepylon.com/football-1...s-per-attempt/
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

Where's the metric that measures the impact of gino gradkowski?

G,I/NO

Goddamnit, Interception
    No Offense

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post

Worse oline play means quicker release which means more easier passes ie duno offs which means higher completion rate but also means less yards.

We live and die by the oline

Blog Entries

....also means we changed from an ACO to a WCO