Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats & analytics

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Wilson and Tyrod don't surprise me because when under pressure they can use their legs to escape and extend the play. That usually leads to coverage breakdowns.
    I agree.

But here's a bit of the rest...for 2016, he was bottom tier in comp% under pressure, (and took a league high 42 sacks), yet threw for the 3rd most TDs while under pressure.
    And in the "related, but not related department", no one on BUF caught more than 4 TDs (regardless of pressure/no pressure on Tyrod).
    Crazy.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats, analytics...and eventually film!

PFF (maybe PFF_Gordon?) with the great assist this morning!

Now to go back and bounce Joe against these averages...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I agree.

But here's a bit of the rest...for 2016, he was bottom tier in comp% under pressure, (and took a league high 42 sacks), yet threw for the 3rd most TDs while under pressure.
    And in the "related, but not related department", no one on BUF caught more than 4 TDs (regardless of pressure/no pressure on Tyrod).
    Crazy.
    That's also one of the reasons why the Bills almost completely turned over their WR corp and wanted Maclin

From a PFF writer, here's a 2016 look of coverage frequencies vs. offenses.

BAL/BLT saw 24% more zone coverage than the average NFL team and 13% more zone coverage than the next highest team (CLE/CLV, NYG and WAS, all at 59%).
    I thought about the possibility that maybe we faced more zone-heavy defenses than the other 31, but IMO that 24% is far too great to be attributed to what would amount to be a schedule anomaly.

Obviously, additional seasons worth of data are needed to be sure either way....or some other way.

For now, I think it's an easy lean toward the most likely reason that we saw so much more zone than anyone else in 2016, is that teams simply know thats where Joe (and the offense) struggles.

@BigPlayReceiver

Re: Joe & Friends: QB Enlightenment (and confusion!) via stats, analytics...and eventually film!

Since the Big One, the club's record under Joe vs. teams with a .500 record or better is 11-19 (.367)

EDIT: That woeful record is NOT all Joe's fault. However, looking at his stats for those games (especially the losses) and comparing them to Joe under different circumstances, and also his peers under the ".500 or better" circumstance should be worthy.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 07-19-2017 at 08:14 AM.

@BigPlayReceiver

wait so youre saying joe cant read a zone

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Not his greatest strength...and his WRs can't beat it...and they typically run an offense where that defense is the best weapon against it, especially when you don't have special talent at the skill positions.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    For at least the 2016 season, there's a strong implication.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

BAL/BLT saw 24% more zone coverage than the average NFL team and 13% more zone coverage than the next highest team (CLE/CLV, NYG and WAS, all at 59%).
    I thought about the possibility that maybe we faced more zone-heavy defenses than the other 31, but IMO that 24% is far too great to be attributed to what would amount to be a schedule anomaly.

Obviously, additional seasons worth of data are needed to be sure either way....or some other way.

For now, I think it's an easy lean toward the most likely reason that we saw so much more zone than anyone else in 2016, is that teams simply know thats where Joe (and the offense) struggles.
    But this implies that teams just now figured this out in 2016...the 9th year of his career.

So teams didn't figure out Flacco's supposed weakness against zone Defense until 9 years in?

Uh...that seems hard to believe.

Surely some team would have figured this out around 2010...2011...2012...2013...

It seems highly implausible that in 2016 they finally figured out his weakness.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    But this implies that teams just now figured this out in 2016...the 9th year of his career.

So teams didn't figure out Flacco's supposed weakness against zone Defense until 9 years in?

Uh...that seems hard to believe.

Surely some team would have figured this out around 2010...2011...2012...2013...

It seems highly implausible that in 2016 they finally figured out his weakness.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    I think you're correct bt, but I can't (well, I shouldn't) speak to prior seasons without the data/info on those seasons.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Joe doesn't do well against zone coverage. That's been his biggest problem as a starter. He can carve up man coverage all day - especially if he has a vertical guy. But that pesky Cover-2...gets'em every time. I think that's why having Woodhead is going to be a good thing and will get s lot of looks underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Since the Big One, the club's record under Joe vs. teams with a .500 record or better is 11-19 (.367)
    I know you're just pointing out a stat, but taking this at face value can be misleading.

Joe def needs to play better, but there are several factors at play here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.