Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penalties

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Penalties

With all of the discussion of personnel and schemes no one is addressing the issue of drive killing penalties. The defense was on the field way too much due to offensive penalties. The coaches seem at a loss as to how to reduce the frequency of these penalties. For starters every offense player should have his hearing checked. I remember when Vince Lombardi had Larry Brown's hearing checked and had him fitted with a special hearing assisted helmet. He turned into a different player. Second, the offense should practice over and over holding until the snap. Joe can then change the the cadence as needed. Third, any mental exercise that improves focus is warranted. I'm sure there are other suggestions but this issue has to be addressed and resolved.

Re: Penalties

or they could just get rid of jernigan to drive the point home

Blog Entries

2nd most offensive penalties in the league last year; over 1,000 yds total penalties accepted

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

4. Re: Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    2nd most offensive penalties in the league last year; over 1,000 yds total penalties accepted
    And Oher is no longer here.
    So, now what's the excuse.

Without looking it up, it seemed like more of the penalties were holding not false starts. Some illegal motion too.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The OL has most drive-killing penalties. In 2016, those were:

Zuttah: 6 (all 6 of his penalties were holding or UR and each stalled a drive)
    Stanley: 2 (he was moderately lucky that just 2 of his 8 flags stalled drives, but it was efficient that 4 of his 8 flags, including both stalls came in his implosion vs. Steelers in week 9)
    Wagner: 2
    Lewis: 4 (all at tackle in weeks 6 and 7)
    Yanda: 2
    Jensen: 2
    Hurst: 1
    Ducasse: 1 (amazingly, of 5 OH and 1 FS, he had just 1 flag that stalled a drive)
    Urschel: 1

So the yeoman's solution is: Release Zuttah, keep Lewis at LG, develop Stanley. Check, hopeful check, check.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    The OL has most drive-killing penalties. In 2016, those were:

Zuttah: 6 (all 6 of his penalties were holding or UR and each stalled a drive)
    Stanley: 2 (he was moderately lucky that just 2 of his 8 flags stalled drives, but it was efficient that 4 of his 8 flags, including both stalls came in his implosion vs. Steelers in week 9)
    Wagner: 2
    Lewis: 4 (all at tackle in weeks 6 and 7)
    Yanda: 2
    Jensen: 2
    Hurst: 1
    Ducasse: 1 (amazingly, of 5 OH and 1 FS, he had just 1 flag that stalled a drive)
    Urschel: 1

So the yeoman's solution is: Release Zuttah, keep Lewis at LG, develop Stanley. Check, hopeful check, check.
    So out of curiosity, any thoughts on the remaining centers on the roster, or hurst at rt?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Either Jensen or Siragusa has the size to anchor at C. I think those are the likeliest candidates to succeed in 2017. C is one of the truly interesting battles in camp and includes Skura and Urschel as well.

At RT, I don't see any option on the roster I like now.
    --Yanda could move there, which will reduce his value considerably.
    --I believe the same is true of Lewis, who was bad at LT and good at guard as I scored it. The only circumstances under which I'd be OK with Lewis moving to RT is if 2 of the other LG/C candidates play at such a high level they win C and contest Lewis closely at LG.
    --So I don't like either of those as plan A, but would be OK if that's plan B.
    --Hurst isn't plan A either, but the Ravens gave him a (nonguaranteed) tender reflecting the general shortage of tackle depth league wide.
    --Nembot, Wesley, and Eluemunor are all developmental players who are likely a year away if they will ever be ready. I'll be watching camp and the preseason eagerly to see if any are ahead of schedule.
    --I think the chance is perhaps 40% or more that the week 1 starting RT is not currently on the roster.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Either Jensen or Siragusa has the size to anchor at C. I think those are the likeliest candidates to succeed in 2017. C is one of the truly interesting battles in camp and includes Skura and Urschel as well.

At RT, I don't see any option on the roster I like now.
    --Yanda could move there, which will reduce his value considerably.
    --I believe the same is true of Lewis, who was bad at LT and good at guard as I scored it. The only circumstances under which I'd be OK with Lewis moving to RT is if 2 of the other LG/C candidates play at such a high level they win C and contest Lewis closely at LG.
    --So I don't like either of those as plan A, but would be OK if that's plan B.
    --Hurst isn't plan A either, but the Ravens gave him a (nonguaranteed) tender reflecting the general shortage of tackle depth league wide.
    --Nembot, Wesley, and Eluemunor are all developmental players who are likely a year away if they will ever be ready. I'll be watching camp and the preseason eagerly to see if any are ahead of schedule.
    --I think the chance is perhaps 40% or more that the week 1 starting RT is not currently on the roster.[/QUOTE]
    sounds like the way it's going but I'd increase your percentage to at least 60%

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

[QUOTE=Ravenswintitle;1262984]

sounds like the way it's going but I'd increase your percentage to at least 60%
    21 stalled drives; 147 potential lost points. Yikes.

I think a lot of penalties are due to injuries and a disjointed offensive scheme/playcalling. When you fire OCs in the middle of a season and also shuffle parts back and forth, I'm sure focusing as a cohesive unit suffers a bit.

I'm curious, does anyone know what the penalties were the season of Kubiak? Or maybe the SB season? Those were years that had a bit more continuity on the line as the season wore on. They were also seasons where the offense seemed to have an identity and knew what they were doing.

You can find all of the penalty information (including past seasons) I am quoting on NFL GSIS here:

http://www.nflgsis.com/GameStatsLive/LegacyReports