Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hall of Fame

Blog Entries

Hall of Fame

Do you guys think Suggs gets in? How about Ngata? I personally think Suggs is in. I'd also say Ngata gets in too. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Hall of Fame

Suggest will make it someday.

Article

Blog Entries

I don't think either gets in.

Suggs plays a position where sacks are the key statistic. He's just not going to have enough. He's behind Jared Allen, John Abraham, Leslie O'Neil, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Simeon Rice etc....

That's a lot of guys none of who are in. Now, I'm also assuming that Suggs is going to play 2 more years and then retire. If he plays 4 then maybe he can close the gap.

No shot for Ngata. He had some dominant years but not enough of them.

Suggs is borderline, Ngata isn't going to make it, IMO. Haloti is a heckuva player, but he never had that dominant season where he stood out on defense head and shoulders above the other players. He was never DPOY or even in close to being DPOY.

Suggs has the stats including plenty of sacks, has been DPOY, and has stood out time and time again over his career. Unlike the players GOTA mentioned, Suggs is a complete player who stops the run, defends the pass, etc. He's not a one-trick pony like many of those mentioned. I don't think he's first or even second ballot, but I think he'll get in.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

He currently has 114.5 sacks, which is 21st all time. In that same time period, both Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis have about 10 more sacks each than Suggs.

He also has the 3rd most sacks all-time in the playoffs.

I dont know though. I think he's borderline, but I think he's Hall of Very Good right now. I dont see him as a HOF'er.

If he plays 2-3 more years and averages double-digit sacks and gets his total up around 140-150 sacks...I could see it. That would put him up around Jason Taylor, Michael Strahan, and Richard Dent.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

Suggs plays a position where sacks are the key statistic. He's just not going to have enough. He's behind Jared Allen, John Abraham, Leslie O'Neil, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Simeon Rice etc....

That's a lot of guys none of who are in. Now, I'm also assuming that Suggs is going to play 2 more years and then retire. If he plays 4 then maybe he can close the gap.

I think you're right; it's doubtful Suggs or Ngata get in. Suggs may have the better chance of the two, but I dunno.

In counterpoint though, I would point out that both guys can be regarded as having been "complete" players at their respective positions. Both have been outstanding, even dominant at times, against both the run and the pass. It shouldn't be just about sacks, but I suspect you're right in that they will be weighed more heavily by the people who make the induction decisions. There are plenty of outstanding players who will never make it into Canton.

Oh, and I don't think there's any way Suggs plays 4 more years. I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs it up after this season. It's no accident the team double dipped on OLB in the draft this year after picking up Judon last year. They know Suggs' days are numbered.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Suggs is borderline, Ngata isn't going to make it, IMO. Haloti is a heckuva player, but he never had that dominant season where he stood out on defense head and shoulders above the other players. He was never DPOY or even in close to being DPOY.

Suggs has the stats including plenty of sacks, has been DPOY, and has stood out time and time again over his career. Unlike the players GOTA mentioned, Suggs is a complete player who stops the run, defends the pass, etc. He's not a one-trick pony like many of those mentioned. I don't think he's first or even second ballot, but I think he'll get in.
    Agreed 99%. I think Suggs will get in (eventually) regardless of what the rest of his career looks like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I think you're right; it's doubtful Suggs or Ngata get in. Suggs may have the better chance of the two, but I dunno.

In counterpoint though, I would point out that both guys can be regarded as having been "complete" players at their respective positions. Both have been outstanding, even dominant at times, against both the run and the pass. It shouldn't be just about sacks, but I suspect you're right in that they will be weighed more heavily by the people who make the induction decisions. There are plenty of outstanding players who will never make it into Canton.

Oh, and I don't think there's any way Suggs plays 4 more years. I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs it up after this season. It's no accident the team double dipped on OLB in the draft this year after picking up Judon last year. They know Suggs' days are numbered.
    You're thinking logic. The HoF is all about politics. That's why TO can't get in. Should Suggs be in? Without a doubt. He'd easily have my vote. I just don't see it happening without the sack numbers because way too many voters focus on those things.

I also think there is a good chance that Suggs retires after this year. The guy keeps getting hurt and little injuries but big bad ones. He'll be 35 and next year is the last year of his contract. It's possible the Ravens release him next season if he tears something else.

You're thinking logic. The HoF is all about politics. That's why TO can't get in. Should Suggs be in? Without a doubt. He'd easily have my vote. I just don't see it happening without the sack numbers because way too many voters focus on those things.

I also think there is a good chance that Suggs retires after this year. The guy keeps getting hurt and little injuries but big bad ones. He'll be 35 and next year is the last year of his contract. It's possible the Ravens release him next season if he tears something else.
    I've always been bad at politics.

In any case, I agree with you.

Blog Entries

He won't be first ballot, but I could see Suggs getting in at some point.

Ngata is obviously a no.

What about Yanda? The position will hurt him, but he has for several years now been pretty widely considered the best OG in the league and has the accolades to back that up. Six straight Pro Bowls, 2x AP 1st team, 3x AP 2nd team. Only 32, could play another five plus years if the body holds up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    He won't be first ballot, but I could see Suggs getting in at some point.

Ngata is obviously a no.

What about Yanda? The position will hurt him, but he has for several years now been pretty widely considered the best OG in the league and has the accolades to back that up. Six straight Pro Bowls, 2x AP 1st team, 3x AP 2nd team. Only 32, could play another five plus years if the body holds up.
    I always look at Will Shields as the role model for getting into the HOF as a Guard in recent years. Shields had 2 1st team All Pros and 12 Pro Bowls. If Yanda keeps going he could get close to those numbers. His play is still elite. Yanda switched sides because of a bad arm and was still great.

exact same thinking.

Suggs is a ROH Raven, but he doesnt have the stats compared to some people waiting, and he played in the "Ray Lewis" era. This team will always be Rays and Reeds, Suggs will be an afterthought outside of Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Ngata not even a chance.