Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Jensen

Re: Ryan Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    I'm glad Jensen seems to be getting a real shot at center and his improved size/shape is very good news given the size of opposing AFCN interior linemen.

Jensen needs to do some things to improve his football performance rather than simply show up in better shape, of course, but yes, I think it's possible he can be an average center or better. One things I'm excited to see is how often he can finish on combination blocks from either Yanda or Lewis. Yanda will be headed t the Hall of Fame in part because of his ability to get a NT off balance then move to level 2. Zuttah and Birk, in particular benefited from that advantage and the more physical Jensen could become an even nastier finisher. If you want to see an example of what I'm talking about, go to Game Pass and watch Yanda's setup of Vince Wilfork for Birk on Ray Rice's 83-yard run on the first play of the 2009 WC game at New England. Yanda pinned Wilfork, Birk finished him, then Yanda moved to level 2 to seal Guyton to provide Rice the hole required for his 83-yard TD. The camera then caught Wilfork describing what happened to him on the play and you can tell exactly what he's saying.

That's just a component of run blocking, of course, and the reason Jensen is getting first-team reps is because Zuttah could not (and Urschel may not be able to) anchor effectively as a pass blocker. That's where Jensen's future in the league will be determined.
    Thanks for this. Your posts are always educational. I'm still having issues giving rep, but this was outstanding. We'll see how Jensen does throughout the summer.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Good thread. Honestly, I'm not high on Jensen. That being said, I like Jensen at C more than anyone we have at RT.

I change my mind on Mangold constantly, but with no clear word on his health/rehab I'm not going to say he's an automatic upgrade becuase I dont think it's really true. If he's back to full health then yes. If he's not, well we're taking just as much risk with a broken C than Jensen, IMO.

I, too, would like to see them add a RT. Dunlap, Clady, Pasztor are options.

I'll be in "wait and see" mode with Jensen, but I'm not listening to the reports and all that BS. Gotta see it on the field, in a game and we won't get that chance till August.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I don't think Mangold is healthy. Reading between the lines, I could see him going unsigned into the regular season, and then maybe get picked up by someone on a flyer. I'm passing on the damaged goods.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Here are FilmStudy's notes from the 3rd (i.e. real) Preseason game last year against the Lions.

Jensen also had an extended trial at center (32 snaps) followed by a series at guard (11). He was nearly flawless, with his only negative score a shared penetration (Q3, 6:31) where he and Ducasse each had responsibility for allowing Allen to be tackled for a loss of 1. Otherwise, he made 40 blocks, missed 2, scored a raw .91 with 4 highlight blocks (great rate; see individual notes for descriptions). Given he missed the first 2 series, his adjustment can’t be as big as Lewis, but I credited him with .97 adjusted score, which is an A at either center or guard. In the final preseason game, I expect we’ll see more of Jensen at both center and guard.
    A bulked up more experienced Jensen could indeed be the answer at C.
    Last edited by Justlovemybirds; 05-26-2017 at 09:47 AM.

If I put my optimistic hat on, I have to think from a run blocking perspective, an interior of Lewis, Jensen and Yanda would be one mean ass combination. 3 guys who play tough as nails.

My big concern with Jensen is his pass blocking.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Jensen has a mean streak. Dude plays like a pissed off gorilla at times. I think he could work out. Plus, this is all still very, very early. If Jensen looks good at center, I don't think it will be too long before they experiment with Nico at LG and Lewis at RT.

The clamboring for Mangold.... remember who let him go...the Jets. JETS.... there's a reason for that and it's not all about money.. Glad Jensen is getting his shot!

Blog Entries

I want Ryan Jensen to excel. My issue is that in order for this offense to take the next step, they can't keep settling for 'average' and 'adequate' at the Center position. How can you have two vertical threats and want to attack, but be so willing to allow 'adequate' play from your Center. Flacco needs a pocket to step up into those throws. That was the issue last year. It looked like Flacco had time in some cases, because Wagner and Stanley handled the edge-rushers. However, he didn't have a pocket to step up into, because Zuttah was constantly being pushed back into him.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I want Ryan Jensen to excel. My issue is that in order for this offense to take the next step, they can't keep settling for 'average' and 'adequate' at the Center position. How can you have two vertical threats and want to attack, but be so willing to allow 'adequate' play from your Center. Flacco needs a pocket to step up into those throws. That was the issue last year. It looked like Flacco had time in some cases, because Wagner and Stanley handled the edge-rushers. However, he didn't have a pocket to step up into, because Zuttah was constantly being pushed back into him.
    That's a real good point. And given that Jensen is a better run blocker than pass blocker, it really doesn't boost his case.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Adequate is better than what we had last season. Remember that he'll be sandwiched between a future HOF guard and an up and coming talent. You can't have them all great, not even the Cowboys have great players everywhere on the OL, their RT is about adequate.

Blog Entries

Ryan Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by Cawtious View Post
    The clamboring for Mangold.... remember who let him go...the Jets. JETS.... there's a reason for that and it's not all about money.. Glad Jensen is getting his shot!
    He was a 8 or more million cap number. With zero cap hit to cut him. Why wouldn't they cut him? Did you feel the same about Marshall? They are rebuilding and had less cap space then us I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk