Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The fact that he couldn't unseat McClellan at the SAM spot is concerning.
    VERY LOL

Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    "value"

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    We seem to fall into this trap a lot with 2nd rounders. "This guy has a 1st round grade and we have a chance to take him half way into the 2nd!!". Then we try to make them into a completely different player than what they were in college, completely nullifying the "value".

Meanwhile our mid round picks and later, even UDFA's, actually fit our system and end up being more productive despite not having the athleticism/pedigree/college production of the 2nd rounders.

Blog Entries

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this seems to me like he didn't dedicate himself to learning the playbook. These guys get playbooks within a few weeks of being drafted. Their primary goal should be to understand their playbooks, understand what others are doing, and working out. Period.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but this seems to me like he didn't dedicate himself to learning the playbook. These guys get playbooks within a few weeks of being drafted. Their primary goal should be to understand their playbooks, understand what others are doing, and working out. Period.
    That's what he said. They even quoted him.

What I don't understand is how that lasts all season. I get it, Correa comes into camp not knowing the playbook like he should. He then has a whole month to learn it. Once the season starts he's on the bench. Wouldn't that be the kick in the ass required to know every punctuation mark in that playbook? I'd be completely distraught and do everything possible to be prepared. Hopefully that's what happened this offseason but it should have also happened during last season

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's what he said. They even quoted him.

What I don't understand is how that lasts all season. I get it, Correa comes into camp not knowing the playbook like he should. He then has a whole month to learn it. Once the season starts he's on the bench. Wouldn't that be the kick in the ass required to know every punctuation mark in that playbook? I'd be completely distraught and do everything possible to be prepared. Hopefully that's what happened this offseason but it should have also happened during last season
    Harbs was probably pissed off at his lack of dedication.

Boom - Dog House.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    We seem to fall into this trap a lot with 2nd rounders. "This guy has a 1st round grade and we have a chance to take him half way into the 2nd!!". Then we try to make them into a completely different player than what they were in college, completely nullifying the "value".

Meanwhile our mid round picks and later, even UDFA's, actually fit our system and end up being more productive despite not having the athleticism/pedigree/college production of the 2nd rounders.
    I don't ever remember a will backer who started in his first year. It is a position with too much to learn - mentally a firm grasp of the d-line in front of you and the secondary behind you - and physically, gap, rush and coverage skills. It seems to me the only way to get there would be to develop players into the role unless you had a true super talent. As I have been saying all along, this year we will be in a position to know. I think the coaches, player and FO know they need Correa to be who they thought he was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    I don't ever remember a will backer who started in his first year. It is a position with too much to learn - mentally a firm grasp of the d-line in front of you and the secondary behind you - and physically, gap, rush and coverage skills. It seems to me the only way to get there would be to develop players into the role unless you had a true super talent. As I have been saying all along, this year we will be in a position to know. I think the coaches, player and FO know they need Correa to be who they thought he was.
    BB, I really don't know a lot about where exactly Correa played in college and what his on-field responsibilities were. However, if what you posted is true, and WILL is new to him, then why did they draft him in the first place? Wouldn't you want someone with experience at the position? I sure would... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Harbs was probably pissed off at his lack of dedication.

Boom - Dog House.
    Certainly possible. Very very unfortuante.

Add him to a list of players that need a good camp.

- BP
    - Maxx
    - Correa
    - Carl Davis
    - Every god damn TE
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    Which actually does make it simple. If he was stuck behind Smith, McClellan and an aging Suggs then he just wasn't good enough at that position, especially the former two moreso than Suggs. Not going to count Doom who barely played last year.
    Emphasis on "to start the season" - remember, he was getting snaps at ILB in training camp. He was learning that position - and you're looking for your predicted 4th OLB to play some special teams, which he did not.

Dumervil attempted to come back week 3, IIRC, and then reinjured himself week 6 - and it was at that time that they switched Correa back to OLB and had him start learning special teams.

So yes, sure - I guess you could say that he wasn't good enough to unseat McClellan by week 17. In reality, he had to learn two positions, special teams, and adjust to the rigors of the NFL, as opposed to taking a path like Suggs or Spence and focusing on "rushing the passer...."

Writing him off as a bust after all of that is just silly, then again, I remember when Torrey was a bust, Bernard Pierce was the second coming of AP, and Oher was the next Ogden...

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post

So yes, sure - I guess you could say that he wasn't good enough to unseat McClellan by week 17. In reality, he had to learn two positions, special teams, and adjust to the rigors of the NFL, as opposed to taking a path like Suggs or Spence and focusing on "rushing the passer...."

This is where I take issue. He had some opportunities to rush the passer, and well, he wasn't very good at it. He got mauled by tackles and couldn't beat TE's. He was 'too light in the ass'.
    So, I don't buy the excuse that they confused him with the play book regarding pass rush. You rush, there is nothing really to confuse. I do buy that he couldn't figure out the play book with regards to his other opportunity to play elsewhere. But I can't really fault the Ravens for giving him the opportunity to do something else, when the one he was supposed to be good at, he wasn't at the NFL level.
    Now maybe he gets some play strength and can rush better. Maybe he picks up the scheme and plays better inside contributing there. But I'm going to put the primary fault of him not being able to contribute year 1 on him.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    This is where I take issue. He had some opportunities to rush the passer, and well, he wasn't very good at it. He got mauled by tackles and couldn't beat TE's. He was 'too light in the ass'.
    So, I don't buy the excuse that they confused him with the play book regarding pass rush. You rush, there is nothing really to confuse. I do buy that he couldn't figure out the play book with regards to his other opportunity to play elsewhere. But I can't really fault the Ravens for giving him the opportunity to do something else, when the one he was supposed to be good at, he wasn't at the NFL level.
    Now maybe he gets some play strength and can rush better. Maybe he picks up the scheme and plays better inside contributing there. But I'm going to put the primary fault of him not being able to contribute year 1 on him.
    Good points Blah. I think that's a pretty good summary.

- Can't rush the passer because he's getting stonewalled.
    - Move to ILB to give him a chance to contribute somewhere
    - Can't learn the playbook becuase of his laziness
    - Sit on the bench behind Orr AND McClellan due to the bullets 1 and 3

One thing I will add is that if he has improved his play strength and focused on the playbook we could reaonsably expect more from him. I mean both of those things are in his control.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He couldn't figure out the Pees playbook? Imagine if Correa had to play for Rex.
    The thing is, I thought Rex was famous for finding ways to simplify his complex D enough that young guys could pick it up and contribute quickly. A great teacher.