Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 LastLast

Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No. I think they drafted Bowser because they're not 100% confident that Correa can figure it out at WILL linebacker.

Look at the snaps that Bowser has gotten during OTA's and Mini Camp - he's lined up at OLB in some sets, but he's also lined up at WILL/MIKE in other sets. He had quite a few passes defensed and a couple of interceptions. Bowser could become an excellent pass-rusher, but he also has the range/lateral movement to become a pretty darn good WILL linebacker as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again - I wouldn't be surprised at all if by the end of this year, Bowser is the starting WILL beside Mosley.

RUSH - Suggs, Za
    WILL - Bowser, Correa, Peanut
    MIKE - Mosley, McClellan
    SAM - Judon, T. Williams

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see them line up Kaufusi at EDGE in some sets. He's tall, but he's pretty explosive.
    The Ravens have a preference for versatile guys on D. Correa just got moved around too much, and got confused. Maybe Bowser can handle it? I was reading somewhere that the Cougars D was more complex than average at the college level (didn't watch any of their games, only Bowser highlights).

Quote Originally Posted by ravens82 View Post
    Who do you view as Bowser's competition for snaps at SAM?
    Right now the only competition for the SAM spot is McClelland, which really makes me sick. I guess they could move Za to SAM. Tim Williams could be a situational SAM. The SAM position requires that a player be able to rush the QB as well as drop back in coverage. Bowser and Correa are the only guys on the roster that have athletic ability to do both. Also need to be able to set the edge. In the past the Ravens have always put a premium on setting the edge giving up pass rushing and coverage ability.
    SAM role should be a 3 down role in the Ravens defense. Last year Zach Orr had to play a ton of snaps because the Ravens SAMs could not drop in coverage. Doom and McClellan were one trick ponies. Doom rushing the passer, although not effective last year. McClelland setting the edge in the run game.

It is really difficult to find players that are athletic enough to bring pressure form the edge. Moving Bowser inside to a position where they have routinely used undrafted players would be a huge waste. Ravens need to lock down their edge rushers of the future in Bowser, Judon and Williams and let them develop.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's what I saw.

Still though - makes you wonder. Why draft another OLB/pass rusher, then talk about how versatile he is, then talk about how good he is at dropping into coverage, then show highlights of him dropping into coverage and picking passes off...

I don't know. Just reminded me of last summer with Correa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nah, I think those were just videos of him dropping into coverage from the SAM spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I hear you, but I'd prefer the "excellent pass rusher" to "pretty darn good ILB".

Moving rookies around like that in mini camp makes very little sense to me. Let guys learn one thing as best they can so they can contribute, then the following year you can start working them in at other spots. Just MHO.
    Riw, it's my opinion too. We need pass rush, Bowser was (I hope) drafted to do so. Let's let him do what he does best... Bc

The Ravens have a preference for versatile guys on D. Correa just got moved around too much, and got confused. Maybe Bowser can handle it? I was reading somewhere that the Cougars D was more complex than average at the college level (didn't watch any of their games, only Bowser highlights).
    Maybe he can't! Why mess with another 2nd round draft choice for a second straight year? I repeat my line from above : Let's let him do what he does best... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Right now the only competition for the SAM spot is McClelland, which really makes me sick. I guess they could move Za to SAM. Tim Williams could be a situational SAM. The SAM position requires that a player be able to rush the QB as well as drop back in coverage. Bowser and Correa are the only guys on the roster that have athletic ability to do both. Also need to be able to set the edge. In the past the Ravens have always put a premium on setting the edge giving up pass rushing and coverage ability.
    SAM role should be a 3 down role in the Ravens defense. Last year Zach Orr had to play a ton of snaps because the Ravens SAMs could not drop in coverage. Doom and McClellan were one trick ponies. Doom rushing the passer, although not effective last year. McClelland setting the edge in the run game.

It is really difficult to find players that are athletic enough to bring pressure form the edge. Moving Bowser inside to a position where they have routinely used undrafted players would be a huge waste. Ravens need to lock down their edge rushers of the future in Bowser, Judon and Williams and let them develop.
    If McClellan is his only real competition, Bowser should be able to step up and seize the SAM job, preventing Pees from trying to fit him in somewhere else.

McClellen is not the only competition at SAM. Judon and Z Smith. Judon is strong candidate, it's just that I'd like to see him train as heir apparent for Suggs on the blind side. But if Bowser is not ready, Judon is probably second most likely. He can already hold an edge, is an adequate pass rusher and understands the game enough to drop into a zone. Might even be good enough to handle some TEs in coverage.

7. Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

I hear you, but I'd prefer the "excellent pass rusher" to "pretty darn good ILB".

Moving rookies around like that in mini camp makes very little sense to me. Let guys learn one thing as best they can so they can contribute, then the following year you can start working them in at other spots. Just MHO.
    What's the old expression about the definition of insanity?

Then there's the one about learning from history too.

Oh well, I'm hoping for the best, but I'm not going to delete my round peg-square hole memes yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    McClellen is not the only competition at SAM. Judon and Z Smith. Judon is strong candidate, it's just that I'd like to see him train as heir apparent for Suggs on the blind side. But if Bowser is not ready, Judon is probably second most likely. He can already hold an edge, is an adequate pass rusher and understands the game enough to drop into a zone. Might even be good enough to handle some TEs in coverage.
    I like Judon's game, too. Last year, he showed that going from Division II to the NFL was not too big of a jump for him. He's got the tools to develop into a legit replacement for Suggs.

If McClellan is his only real competition, Bowser should be able to step up and seize the SAM job, preventing Pees from trying to fit him in somewhere else.
    I truly believe that is why Ozzie told him that they wanted him to come in and win the SAM linebacker spot. It was a video from the draft room. The way that the NFL is going, I don't believe you can put a guy who is 270lbs plus at the SAM position. That is why I don't see Judon or Za in that role. Judon should be rotating with Suggs. Maybe Za rotates in for Bowser in obvious run downs. McClellan can move back to Will and back up Correra.

The last thing I want to see this year is McClellan rushing the QB or dropping into coverage. I also do not want to see Judon and Za in coverage exception on very rare occasions.

Blog Entries

Nah...after the draft, the FO and coaching were lock in step with drooling over his "versatility" any time they talked about him publicly right after the draft.

I don't think there is a disconnect whatsoever between the FO and coaches as some have suggested.
    I'm starting to think when they get crazy over a players "versatility" they are going to fuck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    If Correa and Bowser can solidify SAM and WILL I think it goes a long way in making our front 7 more athletic. We've been commenting on the lack of athleticsm for a few years now. Here's to hopign it works out.
    With Correa, Mosley and Bowser on the field, that's a ton of speed at the LB position. Couple that with the improved secondary – that's a fast defense. A very fast defense.

Some of those guys can hit, too.

I truly believe that is why Ozzie told him that they wanted him to come in and win the SAM linebacker spot. It was a video from the draft room. The way that the NFL is going, I don't believe you can put a guy who is 270lbs plus at the SAM position. That is why I don't see Judon or Za in that role. Judon should be rotating with Suggs. Maybe Za rotates in for Bowser in obvious run downs. McClellan can move back to Will and back up Correra.

The last thing I want to see this year is McClellan rushing the QB or dropping into coverage. I also do not want to see Judon and Za in coverage exception on very rare occasions.
    I think Courtney Upshaw was around 270 pounds and Jarrett Johnson was listed at 260 pounds when he was playing for The Ravens. A guy like Judon who's 270 pounds but may be lighter this year can definitely play at the sam linebacker position especially if they athletic enough.