Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    ...except he's staying on the inside. If he thrives there, how was it a mistake? He could be way more valuable than he would've been as an edge (where, imo, his ceiling wasn't all that high). One lost season is absolutely worth it IF this works out.
    If it's one position I'm confident in us filling it's inside lb. We always manage to get great production out of our plugs there

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    WILL.

I saw something in the last couple days, where Correa has been taking all his reps at minicamp, with the 1's at ILB. I thought it was one of those "Late For Work" updates on BR.com, but I just went looking for it and didn't find it. But I swear I read that.
    He played WIL at OTA's.

… Kamalei Correa assumed Zach Orr’s old “Will” LB spot.
    http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/...s-ravens-otas/

Correa WILL be our WILL
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yup, I think most of us saw that as an enormous mistake as soon as it was happening in Mini Camp.
    oh no bro we had that one crowd "oh he isn't good enough to be out there" narrative.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    ...except he's staying on the inside. If he thrives there, how was it a mistake? He could be way more valuable than he would've been as an edge (where, imo, his ceiling wasn't all that high). One lost season is absolutely worth it IF this works out.
    the mistake is they moved him around threw too much at him that's why it stunted his progress, most of us saw this from the start. Pees even admitted it, now Steve B is confirming it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    oh no bro we had that one crowd "oh he isn't good enough to be out there" narrative.
    I'm part of that crowd, I think. My question wasn't whether moving him around stunted his growth. It was whether he had shown that he was good enough at OLB to justify NOT trying him at different spots. I have no doubt that trying to learn more than one position made his rookie season very difficult and resulted in him thinking more than reacting and playing fast with instincts. I always saw it as, Correa showed "OK" at OLB, but knowing he had high football IQ and a good motor, they figured he had a better shot at playing time if they flipped him inside. Their primary reason for doing so was that they had Sizzle and Doom and this young kid Judon was really flashing, better than just "OK", and they wanted him on the field, IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I'm part of that crowd, I think. My question wasn't whether moving him around stunted his growth. It was whether he had shown that he was good enough at OLB to justify NOT trying him at different spots. I have no doubt that trying to learn more than one position made his rookie season very difficult and resulted in him thinking more than reacting and playing fast with instincts. I always saw it as, Correa showed "OK" at OLB, but knowing he had high football IQ and a good motor, they figured he had a better shot at playing time if they flipped him inside. Their primary reason for doing so was that they had Sizzle and Doom and this young kid Judon was really flashing, better than just "OK", and they wanted him on the field, IMO.
    Whatever it was they were wrong for doing it, they should have let the kid learn the game from where he showed the most at, I hope this serves as a warning for them to stop tinkering with young players and let them learn the game first then try to explore other options once they master one thing.

Whatever it was they were wrong for doing it, they should have let the kid learn the game from where he showed the most at, I hope this serves as a warning for them to stop tinkering with young players and let them learn the game first then try to explore other options once they master one thing.
    I agree that I don't like the approach, again I just wonder why they only do it with certain players and not even every year? There must be something about a player, whether positive - football IQ, versatility...or negative - size, lack of flash at one position, that causes them to go this route. Obviously injuries and numbers at certain positions can also play a factor. I just don't buy the idea that they just do it to see if they can or just for the sake of tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I agree that I don't like the approach, again I just wonder why they only do it with certain players and not even every year? There must be something about a player, whether positive - football IQ, versatility...or negative - size, lack of flash at one position, that causes them to go this route. Obviously injuries and numbers at certain positions can also play a factor. I just don't buy the idea that they just do it to see if they can or just for the sake of tinkering.
    The main thing they continually touted with him after they drafted him was his versatility. Interviews with Ozzie, Decosta and Ortiz, they all mentioned how versatile he was. It was pretty different from virtually ever other player I can remember them talking about.

It wasn't about how good he was as a pass rusher, or how good he was in coverage. It was just that saw him do all these different things in college and that's what they fell in love with and why they didn't pick other players who probably were better at the one thing they were known for in college.

They obviously thought he would just pick up in the NFL where he left off at in college and fucked up his rookie season by doing so. IMHO, they got way too cute with this pick in the first place, and then compounded it by how they handled him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

the mistake is they moved him around threw too much at him that's why it stunted his progress, most of us saw this from the start. Pees even admitted it, now Steve B is confirming it.
    Well yeah, sure, but I remember a lot of complaints that we were ever changing his position at all. His ceiling, to me at least, is way higher on the inside.

I think teams don't really need to stop tinkering. if Carolina would not have tinkered Thomas Davis would not be who he is or Mark Barron for the Rams. sometimes there are things that pop out at you that you have to explore and get the best 11 on the field

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    I think teams don't really need to stop tinkering. if Carolina would not have tinkered Thomas Davis would not be who he is or Mark Barron for the Rams. sometimes there are things that pop out at you that you have to explore and get the best 11 on the field
    Don't even need to leave our backyard to see Jarret Johnson.

Sometimes moves don't work out. That doesn't mean they shouldn't happen.