Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: The BR.com Explanation for Correa

I found the article to be encouraging. As a rookie he didn't have the off year to work with the LB coach and Pees. I imagine a defense so different from what he was use to would be a lot to absorb in such a short period of time. Instead of the coaches just assuming the rookies will make the adjustment they should have things in place to make sure they understand the system. This shouldn't have taken 2 years. I don't believe he's stupid. I blame the coaching staff. Having said that I'm looking forward to a great defensive effort this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bart Scott used to say that he had more assignments under Rex than in any other defense he played in. That's how he got the job. Ray Lewis gets hurt and no one else was able to figure out the complexities of the situation. They just kept on going through the roster until they got to Bart Scott. Tommy Polly was the big name free agent they brought in to play next to Ray so he was the one they initially shifted all the responsibility on. Polly couldn't handle the mental part of playing that spot and Rex shifted it to Scott
    And that is also why Bart was Rex's first big signing as coach of the Jets. He needed a guy in the middle of the defense that could effectively communicate and coordinate Rex's defense. It's why the Jets defense continued to thrive those first few years. It's why a safety like Jim Leonard who may have been limited physically was able to make a nice little career for himself working in Rex's defenses. Someone said on here that all the physical talent in the world doesn't matter if you're not where you're supposed to be. I agree 100%.

When folks talk about how Sizzle started his career or the failures of guys like an Art Brown or Elam to transition quickly, we all conveniently leave out tow things: 1. The players' personal responsibility for learning how to adapt to the NFL and 2. The impact of having 2 HOFers sitting in the middle of that defense. 2 of the most gifted physical specimens AS WELL AS students of the game. With those 2 guys setting the standard as players and having the ability to help a new player understand his role WHILE the bullets are flying, the learning curve could be greatly accelerated. And if those young guys made mistakes, the defense overall was usually good enough to cover it. Those margins for error are greatly reduced with our current roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    The Ravens liked what they saw on tape and they liked his versatility. It's possible Correa potential is that of Jamie Collins who was another pass rusher in college that was used in different way at The NFl Level.
    The Ravens should only be so lucky. It's just way too early to put both of their names in the same sentence... Bc

Meanwhile, I acquired Correa in 3 of 5 fantasy leagues...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Apparently Bisciotti even admitted on the PSL conference call that they hurt Correa by moving him around constantly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Apparently Bisciotti even admitted on the PSL conference call that they hurt Correa by moving him around constantly.
    oh let me just say... I TOLD YA'LL SO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    So how are they fixing it? What 1 position is Correa sticking to?

Utility infielder.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

ILB in replacement of Orr, apparently.

"Bisciotti Thinks Correa Will ‘Emerge,’ Confident in ILB Situation

Outside of the offensive line, if there’s one position fans still have questions about, it’s inside linebacker next to C.J. Mosley.

Baltimore suddenly lost second-team All-Pro Zachary Orr when he was forced to retire due to a congenital neck/spine condition. That’s left a spot open, and the first man up for the job has been last year’s second-round pick, Kamalei Correa, who barely saw any defensive action as a rookie.

The Ravens are happy with what they’ve seen from Correa in Organized Team Activities and the start minicamp, and have veteran Albert McClellan as a proven backup in case.

“I think that Kamalei Correa is going to emerge,” Bisciotti said.

“I think it’s the organization’s feeling that maybe we threw too much on a rookie. Because he had some good pass-rush ability and we were in need of pass rushers, we moved him from inside to outside, inside to outside, and he really struggled to pick up the game. It’s so much more complex in the pros than it is in college. We have seen a rejuvenated, focused player that we think is going to do very well for us.”

Bisciotti also said the Ravens have a couple undrafted players that are impressing, and pointed to the team’s history of finding undrafted inside linebacker gems such as Bart Scott, Dannell Ellerbe, Jameel McClain and Orr.

“I think we’re going to be just fine at that inside linebacker spot,” Bisciotti said."

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    oh let me just say... I TOLD YA'LL SO
    Yup, I think most of us saw that as an enormous mistake as soon as it was happening in Mini Camp.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

WILL.

I saw something in the last couple days, where Correa has been taking all his reps at minicamp, with the 1's at ILB. I thought it was one of those "Late For Work" updates on BR.com, but I just went looking for it and didn't find it. But I swear I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yup, I think most of us saw that as an enormous mistake as soon as it was happening in Mini Camp.
    ...except he's staying on the inside. If he thrives there, how was it a mistake? He could be way more valuable than he would've been as an edge (where, imo, his ceiling wasn't all that high). One lost season is absolutely worth it IF this works out.