Another reason to not watch MNF.

Raiders-Chargers MNF opener (part of a double header that night) will be called by Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan, according to ESPN.

Before I'm accused of being sexist, it's Rex I have no interest in listening to.

ESPN seems to think controversy for the sake of controversy = good TV.

Re: Another reason to not watch MNF.

I think it can be reasonably assumed you meant Rex. :)

With a 10:20 EST start time, it will be midnight by the time the 2nd half begins. That's a turn-off right there. I'm not a big fan of Mowins - she's pretty decent on college football, but her voice sounds like it belongs announcing tennis or swimming, at least to me.

Blog Entries

When Fox first hired Jimmy Johnson they put him on as the color commentator for a game with Terry Bradshaw doing the play by play. If I remember it was a Saturday game and I guess they were desperate. It was the worst broadcast that I ever heard. Johnson was just terrible. He had no idea what to say. Both obviously were very good and popular in studio but games just weren't something they could do.

I'm thinking this could be similar. Why not get another college announcer to work with Mowins? Throwing Rex into the fire is very bad idea

Mowins is awlful. Terrible voice, delivery and screws up all of the time. I would take Pam Ward over her and she wasn't that great either.

Blog Entries

Rex might be a fun guy to listen to in the right mix but this is probably not it. I'll be asleep before end of first quarter anyway

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Raiders-Chargers MNF opener (part of a double header that night) will be called by Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan, according to ESPN.

Before I'm accused of being sexist, it's Rex I have no interest in listening to.

ESPN seems to think controversy for the sake of controversy = good TV.
    They long ago decided that the important letter was the first - Entertainment. I am not sure the demographic they are looking to entertain but maybe they are looking to compete with the Comedy Channel.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When Fox first hired Jimmy Johnson they put him on as the color commentator for a game with Terry Bradshaw doing the play by play. If I remember it was a Saturday game and I guess they were desperate. It was the worst broadcast that I ever heard. Johnson was just terrible. He had no idea what to say. Both obviously were very good and popular in studio but games just weren't something they could do.

I'm thinking this could be similar. Why not get another college announcer to work with Mowins? Throwing Rex into the fire is very bad idea
    I'm surprised Mayock doesn't do more games. I always love when he's on doing color.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    They long ago decided that the important letter was the first - Entertainment. I am not sure the demographic they are looking to entertain but maybe they are looking to compete with the Comedy Channel.
    I was surprised to learn, after seeing ESPN fired 100 on-air personalities, most were quality journalists, and they kept the blowhards. Really not a fan of how they are run.

I'll say it: I have yet to hear a female sportscaster whose delivery I would enjoy. Nada!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I have to wonder if they've given them this game by design- when everyone on the East Coast turns off at HT they'll be able to say it's because it's because of the late time as opposed to the announcers.