Page 1 of 25 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BR.Com: Why Michael Campanaro Believes He's Ready For Breakout Year

Ravens PR machine working hard to quell the masses I see.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-a5a516ff8d38

Michael Campanaro hears the chatter about the Ravens’ supposed lack of wide receivers. He’s seen the tweets directed right at him.

“We have guys, including myself, who are going to show up big,” Campanaro said.

“You see the articles and stuff. It’s more motivation than anything. You’ve got to have confidence in yourself to go out and prove them wrong.”

Behind Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman, the Ravens have question marks.

Second-year wideout Chris Moore caught seven passes last year. The biggest game of Chris Matthews’ career was more than two years ago in Super Bowl XLIX, and he spent last season on injured reserve. There are others with little to no experience.

Re: BR.Com: Why Michael Campanaro Believes He's Ready For Breakout Year

:ww:

Blog Entries

"Behind Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman, the Ravens have question marks."

How is Perriman not a question mark?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

Because he was a 1st round pick, duh...

*I agree with you. Behind Wallace, there are nothing but question marks.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

The ravens also released a "motivation Monday" video of perriman catching balls from a jugs machine, in highly dramatic fashion.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bt12483; 05-15-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Why would he be? 23yo player who had 500 yds in limited snaps last season. (As basically a rookie, and without ever having had an NFL training camp.) It's very, very reasonable to pencil him in with 700+ yds as a full-time #2. That's a decent (not great) figure for a #2 receiver.

Technically there are 32 "#1 receivers" in the league. We tend to only think of about 8 to 12 guys as being "legitimate #1s" (maybe more like 4 or 5), but there really are 32 different top receivers, one on each team. If you go down the list of receiving yards from last season, let's say the first 32 are the "#1 receivers". That's not precisely true, Travis Kelce and Greg Olsen are in this list; also Drew Brees has 2 of the top ten and also #35. But as a very rough approximation, let's say the first 32 are the "#1s". Only the top 25 got a thousand yards; the #32 total was Marvin Jones' 930 yds (with 4 TDs).

Let's say the next 16 receiving totals represent the "above average #2s". The 48th-highest receiving yardage total from this past season was Jordan Mattews' 804 yds (with 3 TDs). That's just 5 yds more than Steve Smith got last season (he placed at #50). The 48th-highest number of targets this past season was 100 (including TEs and RBs). At Perriman's yards-per-target stat from last season, that would give him 756 yards. That would have placed him at #53 on the yardage list: just behind Dez Bryant (who played 13 games) and Brandon Marshall, just ahead of Ted Ginn and DeVante Parker.

It's not really a "question mark" whether Perriman can produce at about the level of a #2 receiver: he's already shown he can do that. An average or slightly below-avg #2, but a real NFL #2. The question marks around Perriman are his health and his ceiling. He played all 16 games last season; that's a decent place to start for his health. We'll start to get an idea about his ceiling over the next couple seasons. If he improves at all with coaching and experience and a training camp, if he bumps that catch pctg up a little and sharpens his route-running some, he can certainly be a 900-yd guy, maybe even a thousand guy. I'm not ready to put him in the 1200 or 1300 yard club yet; that's rare air. But that's the "ceiling" question. The 900-yd potential is obvious.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Why would he be? 23yo player who had 500 yds in limited snaps last season. (As basically a rookie, and without ever having had an NFL training camp.) It's very, very reasonable to pencil him in with 700+ yds as a full-time #2. That's a decent (not great) figure for a #2 receiver.

Technically there are 32 "#1 receivers" in the league. We tend to only think of about 8 to 12 guys as being "legitimate #1s" (maybe more like 4 or 5), but there really are 32 different top receivers, one on each team. If you go down the list of receiving yards from last season, let's say the first 32 are the "#1 receivers". That's not precisely true, Travis Kelce and Greg Olsen are in this list; also Drew Brees has 2 of the top ten and also #35. But as a very rough approximation, let's say the first 32 are the "#1s". Only the top 25 got a thousand yards; the #32 total was Marvin Jones' 930 yds (with 4 TDs).

Let's say the next 16 receiving totals represent the "above average #2s". The 48th-highest receiving yardage total from this past season was Jordan Mattews' 804 yds (with 3 TDs). That's just 5 yds more than Steve Smith got last season (he placed at #50). The 48th-highest number of targets this past season was 100 (including TEs and RBs). At Perriman's yards-per-target stat from last season, that would give him 756 yards. That would have placed him at #53 on the yardage list: just behind Dez Bryant (who played 13 games) and Brandon Marshall, just ahead of Ted Ginn and DeVante Parker.

It's not really a "question mark" whether Perriman can produce at about the level of a #2 receiver: he's already shown he can do that. An average or slightly below-avg #2, but a real NFL #2. The question marks around Perriman are his health and his ceiling. He played all 16 games last season; that's a decent place to start for his health. We'll start to get an idea about his ceiling over the next couple seasons. If he improves at all with coaching and experience and a training camp, if he bumps that catch pctg up a little and sharpens his route-running some, he can certainly be a 900-yd guy, maybe even a thousand guy. I'm not ready to put him in the 1200 or 1300 yard club yet; that's rare air. But that's the "ceiling" question. The 900-yd potential is obvious.
    When someone is a question mark you aren't sure what your going to get. Perriman showed he could be a #2 the same way Marlon Brown did in his first season. Brown wasn't considered a question mark by the Ravens either but he should have been. Hopefully Perriman steps it up this year but he sure didn't look impressive last year. Michael Campanaro when healthy was more dynamic and showed more flash. I completely agree that the potential for Perriman is there but it was last year too. I'm certainly not counting on him to reach that potential. I'm hoping he will but you can't count on it based on his history
    Last edited by GOTA; 05-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Perriman showed he could be a #2 the same way Marlon Brown did in his first season.
    That isn't true. Brown was force-fed balls in 2013. He started 12 games! Perriman flashed in a limited role – not even the consistent #3 receiver. Brown had more targets in 2013 than Perriman had last season.

Michael Campanaro when healthy was more dynamic and showed more flash.
    Agree that Campanaro has shown more shiftiness and ability to change speeds – short area quickness? – and better hands. I love Campanaro as a player (when he's on the field). Perriman has shown more long speed and deep ball ability.

I'm certainly not counting on him [Perriman] to reach that potential. I'm hoping he will but you can't count on it based on his history
    Well, it's a little ironic to say that we can't count on Perriman reaching his potential due to his history, within a couple sentences of saying nice things about Campanaro. Perriman has shown a much better likelihood of reaching his potential than Campanaro has: at least Perriman has made it thru a full season once.

When someone is a question mark you aren't sure what your going to get.
    Yeah, but again it's a question of health and ceiling. Assuming Perriman plays the whole season – which you have to, it's the only basis for even having a discussion; otherwise EVERY player is a question mark – then the question mark is whether Perriman is going to give us mediocre #2 numbers, or something better. Whether he's good for ~700 to ~750 yds with a couple TDs, or more like ~900 to ~1050 yds with ~7 TDs.

Perriman's a "question mark" because he hasn't established a ceiling, not because he hasn't established a floor. That's the good kind of question mark, not the bad kind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That isn't true. Brown was force-fed balls in 2013. He started 12 games! Perriman flashed in a limited role – not even the consistent #3 receiver. Brown had more targets in 2013 than Perriman had last season.

Agree that Campanaro has shown more shiftiness and ability to change speeds – short area quickness? – and better hands. I love Campanaro as a player (when he's on the field). Perriman has shown more long speed and deep ball ability.

Well, it's a little ironic to say that we can't count on Perriman reaching his potential due to his history, within a couple sentences of saying nice things about Campanaro. Perriman has shown a much better likelihood of reaching his potential than Campanaro has: at least Perriman has made it thru a full season once.

Yeah, but again it's a question of health and ceiling. Assuming Perriman plays the whole season – which you have to, it's the only basis for even having a discussion; otherwise EVERY player is a question mark – then the question mark is whether Perriman is going to give us mediocre #2 numbers, or something better. Whether he's good for ~700 to ~750 yds with a couple TDs, or more like ~900 to ~1050 yds with ~7 TDs.

Perriman's a "question mark" because he hasn't established a ceiling, not because he hasn't established a floor. That's the good kind of question mark, not the bad kind.
    Believe what you want. I see absolutely nothing in your post that's going to change my mind about Perriman. I'm hoping for the best but my expectations are not high. If he's productive it will be a pleasant surprise. We had 1 solid year each from Mark Clayton and Travis Taylor so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Ravens PR machine working hard to quell the masses I see.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-a5a516ff8d38
    Well Camp has PAGES of "motivation" to read

Blog Entries

Sure A-F hope so.

The talent is there. It's evident when he gets opportunities. He makes plays.

If he can turn in 16 games this year, he should be a big contributor.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Sure A-F hope so.

The talent is there. It's evident when he gets opportunities. He makes plays.

If he can turn in 16 games this year, he should be a big contributor.
    If he plays in 16 games, I could see Campanaro leading the team in the number of receptions, in a role similar to Edelman's.

=============================================

:word

============================================

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I don't think Perriman is a question mark in whether or not he will be a decent to good wr. I think we have seen enough to say that he is going to be at least what Torrey Smith was when he was a Raven. The question is whether or not he can become a top 20 or better wr in this league. Can he get to the 70-80 catch mark and put up 1100yds and 7TDs.
    I love your optimism and enthusiasm about Perriman, but based on what we've seen in the two years he's been here, I don't see how Perriman, with his hands, could achieve 1100 yards.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).