Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Balance"

"Balance"

I've poked at this in a number of threads, and part of it is ripped straight out of one today, but with the ramped up discussion on the relative allocation of resources on each side of the ball, I think its threadworthy.

2016 Atlanta Falcons:
    #1 Offense #27 Defense

2015 Denver Broncos
    #19 Offense #4 Defense

Cincinnati Bengals Three Year Average
    #14 offense #11 Defense

If you can be great on both sides of the ball, that's awesome. That's damn hard to do though. And it's better to be great on one side and mediocre on the other than it is to be good on both.

We could've been balanced. Resigned Wagner over Williams, targeted Alshon over Jefferson, OJ over Humphrey. We would've beaten every team we were supposed to beat, made the playoffs, and likely crashed out early. It's going to be harder to make the playoffs with the team as it is, but we're much better poised to make a run once we get there if we do.

Blog Entries

Re: "Balance"

Except of course the 2012 Ravens were highly balanced in terms of pts/game and yrds/game with respect to offense and defense.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

We had some dominant defenses with boller, wright and McNair.

Remember that playoff game we lost when the defense held Peyton Manning to 5 FGs but the offense couldn't muster a mere 16 points?

Yeah...don't be blinded by recency bias.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    We had some dominant defenses with boller, wright and McNair.

Remember that playoff game we lost when the defense held Peyton Manning to 5 FGs but the offense couldn't muster a mere 16 points?

Yeah...don't be blinded by recency bias.

It certainly doesn't work every time. You need the lesser unit to play over its head for 3-4 games. "Balanced" teams need both units to elevate their play though.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Except of course the 2012 Ravens were highly balanced in terms of pts/game and yrds/game with respect to offense and defense.

Never said it was the only way.

Blog Entries

I would say that the overall point has some validity. I think that BT's point is geared more toward how it pertains to the Ravens in particular. They won a Super Bowl in 2000 with a one-sided team. They won one playoff game the following year, despite Jamal Lewis missing that season. After that, it took them seven more years to win a playoff game until 2008. Which I think NjRavens understands. I just think that BT is venting his frustration over the matter and I don't necessarily blame him. Besides, it seems that you two have been debating quite a bit lately. lol.

I would go along with this theory for the 2017 Baltimore Ravens, just for the sake of being positive, if it weren't for who their Defensive Coordinator was. Between Baltimore and New England, Dean Pees has been a DC for nine years and his defenses have all played the same way, with the same faults, no matter who the talent was. He was the Defensive Coordinator who didn't know how to use an All-Pro OLB in Adalius Thomas the way that Rex Ryan did. He has had talent, more talent than some would acknowledge, because they are hoping against hope that he is not the issue. With him as the Defensive Coordinator, I have no faith that this team is better off under this circumstance for 2017. The original idea I like. For this team, however, I just don't like the side of the ball that the team chose.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

KC held Pittsburgh to zero tds. With a more talented offense then us and lost at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    KC held Pittsburgh to zero tds. With a more talented offense then us and lost at home

That's one point I thought about touching on, but figured otherwise this time. However, it is a very good point.

Another point is the 2015 Denver Broncos. Yes, they pulled it off, but look at the weapons they had. They had Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Plus, their coaching was far more structured on that side of the ball. The Ravens don't care enough about structure on offense.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That's one point I thought about touching on, but figured otherwise this time. However, it is a very good point.

Another point is the 2015 Denver Broncos. Yes, they pulled it off, but look at the weapons they had. They had Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. Plus, their coaching was far more structured on that side of the ball. The Ravens don't care enough about structure on offense.
    Denvers DC is miles above Pees and they have Von Miller who took over playoff games. Also if I'm not mistaken Ware missed a good bit of the middle to end of the season with an injury and came back with fresh legs in the post season to really give a one two pass rushing punch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Denvers DC is miles above Pees and they have Von Miller who took over playoff games. Also if I'm not mistaken Ware missed a good bit of the middle to end of the season with an injury and came back with fresh legs in the post season to really give a one two pass rushing punch.

Those are also very good points. Some people are trying to talk themselves into believing that this will work with more talent, but are neglecting to remember who the Defensive Coordinator is. That's the key here. The ideas are good, particularly about what the defense 'can' do with such personnel. However, there is a guy with stripes as old as Bc's Sister-in-Law's stretchmarks and he ain't changing em' ladies and gentlemen.

Blog Entries

And the sad part is that if we had a better Defensive Coordinator, we wouldn't even need all of these high picks on defense. We need them to make up for the Defensive Coordinator's inadequacies.

Before Dean Pees showed up, oddly enough, although they still tried to be a Defensively-led team, when you look at the first three picks in the draft from 08-12, there actually is a balance.

Blog Entries

"Balance"

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And the sad part is that if we had a better Defensive Coordinator, we wouldn't even need all of these high picks on defense. We need them to make up for the Defensive Coordinator's inadequacies.

Before Dean Pees showed up, oddly enough, although they still tried to be a Defensively-led team, when you look at the first three picks in the draft from 08-12, there actually is a balance.
    Wade Phillips would have made this defense something to be afraid of. With only half the resources. And he could have been had