Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

New England doesn't draft/play WRs with low football IQs. That is a HUGE "secret" to their success. They have a complicated offensive scheme where the WR and QB need to be on the same page pre-snap and then make the right reads post-snap. They don't really care about a WR having dominant physical ability (with some exceptions like Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski) They can afford to take guys in the middle rounds because other teams (like the Ravens) overvalue physical talent at the WR position.

BB is also one of, if not the best, coaches in NFL history in terms of developing players' football IQ. There was a video out years ago of BB personally coaching up his linebackers as they prepared to play the Vikings. He could tell on film that Adrian Peterson had a "tell" which direction a run play would go based on how he placed his feet pre-snap. Just a tiny example of his football IQ and the way he tries to impart it to his players. I hate the man and think he's a shameless cheater but you have to give him credit when due.

I don't know if that kind of approach would even work for the Ravens. I don't know if our scheme is sophisticated enough nor our QB intelligent enough to operate at that level. The Ravens as a whole are generally not an "outsmart you" type of team.

Blog Entries

Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    New England doesn't draft/play WRs with low football IQs. That is a HUGE "secret" to their success. They have a complicated offensive scheme where the WR and QB need to be on the same page pre-snap and then make the right reads post-snap. They don't really care about a WR having dominant physical ability (with some exceptions like Randy Moss and Rob Gronkowski) They can afford to take guys in the middle rounds because other teams (like the Ravens) overvalue physical talent at the WR position.

BB is also one of, if not the best, coaches in NFL history in terms of developing players' football IQ. There was a video out years ago of BB personally coaching up his linebackers as they prepared to play the Vikings. He could tell on film that Adrian Peterson had a "tell" which direction a run play would go based on how he placed his feet pre-snap. Just a tiny example of his football IQ and the way he tries to impart it to his players. I hate the man and think he's a shameless cheater but you have to give him credit when due.

I don't know if that kind of approach would even work for the Ravens. I don't know if our scheme is sophisticated enough nor our QB intelligent enough to operate at that level. The Ravens as a whole are generally not an "outsmart you" type of team.
    The qb and the offense would need to have more then one year in a system before you could ever expect any kind of sophisticated approach. That just hasent happened nor do I ever see it happening hell even having a year of the same system would be a miracle as it's what the 4th or 5th system in as many years. You just can't win like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Goode05; 05-19-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    To me this just says stop drafting pass-catchers.
    By that logic, the Ravens should have never drafted Flacco, because of the bad picks they've had at QB.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Yeah avoiding drafting a WR becuase they're not good at it seems like a poor choice UNLESS you chose to put FA money towards it instead.

I.E. We draft NT's very well. We don't draft WR's well. So give Alshon Jeffrey 10M per year instead of Brandon Williams. The likihood of replacign Williams is higher than replacing SSSR
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    By that logic, the Ravens should have never drafted Flacco, because of the bad picks they've had at QB.
    There is always an exception to a rule, which this isn't exactly a rule, its just a formula. You don't need WRs of great caliber to win, I get what your saying, but that's an exception, or at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Yeah avoiding drafting a WR becuase they're not good at it seems like a poor choice UNLESS you chose to put FA money towards it instead.

I.E. We draft NT's very well. We don't draft WR's well. So give Alshon Jeffrey 10M per year instead of Brandon Williams. The likihood of replacign Williams is higher than replacing SSSR
    That's what I was getting at, maybe not to the extent of paying top dollar, but basically the premise.

That's what I was getting at, maybe not to the extent of paying top dollar, but basically the premise.
    If we could change one thing to our offseason I think, for me, it would have been paying Jeffrey instead of Williams.

We draft OL pretty well too so I'm comfortable they can fix that. I dont think they can fix our WR situation.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

If we could change one thing to our offseason I think, for me, it would have been paying Jeffrey instead of Williams.

We draft OL pretty well too so I'm comfortable they can fix that. I dont think they can fix our WR situation.
    I Think we could have afforded Pryor or Jeffrey on a multi year deal and kept Wagner if we didnt Sign Woodhead and Williams...triggered

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    I Think we could have afforded Pryor or Jeffrey on a multi year deal and kept Wagner if we didnt Sign Woodhead and Williams...triggered
    It's definitely possible.

Replace Williams and Woodhead for Wags and Pryor would have worked.

I agree.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

There is always an exception to a rule, which this isn't exactly a rule, its just a formula. You don't need WRs of great caliber to win, I get what your saying, but that's an exception, or at least in my opinion.
    Then Torrey Smith (2nd round) is an exception. Warts and all, he was a very productive WR during four playoff years, including a Super Bowl victory. I'd like more "exceptions" like him. Wouldn't you? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

It's definitely possible.

Replace Williams and Woodhead for Wags and Pryor would have worked.

I agree.
    I think people would feel a lot better about the team right now. Would have been a really nice offseason. Would have got a complementary receiver, SS , 2 cbs, Rush, olb, nt. It would actually look like a football team. Only hole would be a center
    If they still draft Goose deuce then you could try Lewis at center. Stanley, Goose 2nd,Lewis,Yanda, Wagner could work and you would have a lot of meat on the line
    Last edited by Goode05; 05-19-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I think people would feel a lot better about the team right now. Would have been a really nice offseason. Would have got a complementary receiver, SS , 2 cbs, Rush, olb, nt. It would actually look like a football team. Only hole would be a center
    If they still draft Goose deuce then you could try Lewis at center. Stanley, Goose 2nd,Lewis,Yanda, Wagner could work and you would have a lot of meat on the line
    Agreed. I do like Tony Jefferson a lot. I dont think I'd reverse that signing. It's a lot of money into S, but it's going to be worth it. I think Weddle and Jefferson are going to be insanely good.
    - Ray Lewis