Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    If we could change one thing to our offseason I think, for me, it would have been paying Jeffrey instead of Williams.

We draft OL pretty well too so I'm comfortable they can fix that. I dont think they can fix our WR situation.
    I was on the pay Wagner instead of Williams because of how well we draft DL in mid rounds, but Jeffrey I wouldn't get behind because of the injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Then Torrey Smith (2nd round) is an exception. Warts and all, he was a very productive WR during four playoff years, including a Super Bowl victory. I'd like more "exceptions" like him. Wouldn't you? ... Bc
    Kind of, Torrey was definitely worth it and productive. But without an injury to Q we may have never even seen Torrey, sidenote, has to be one of the best first games for a rookie ever. I just prefer the formula of what I stated, exceptions do go both ways as I never believe in using definitive words ie always and never.

I'm merely saying QB is a more important position, while you don't have to get your starting QB in the first or second, its the position that makes or breaks a team for the most part. I didn't like how we went on about replacing Torrey, waiting till he already left, I think we drafted BP to fill a whole and definitely wasn't the best player available, I really thought we were going to take Collins.

Yeah avoiding drafting a WR becuase they're not good at it seems like a poor choice UNLESS you chose to put FA money towards it instead.

I.E. We draft NT's very well. We don't draft WR's well. So give Alshon Jeffrey 10M per year instead of Brandon Williams. The likihood of replacign Williams is higher than replacing SSSR
    And we have a winner!!

3. Re: Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

Part of our problem is we seem to be we are generally better at drafting defense than offense, and especially at WR. We need to improve in this area but also need to be more aggressive in getting guys we want. The patient strategy where we always wait for what comes to us doesn't always work and that's how you get Breshad Perriman instead of Shane Ray, or Matt Elam instead of DeAndre Hopkins, or Kindle instead of Dez Bryant.

These are just a few and there are times we've gotten steals by waiting but sometimes you must be aggressive to get what you want because others will. Obviously with all 3 top WR going in the top 10 there's little to do there in that instance. I don't really even fault the team for that this year; however, taking guys like Correa in the top of the second and expecting instant results seems very puzzling. Correa would've been our first pick back when we were competing and in the playoffs annually.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCoconut View Post
    Part of our problem is we seem to be we are generally better at drafting defense than offense, and especially at WR. We need to improve in this area but also need to be more aggressive in getting guys we want. The patient strategy where we always wait for what comes to us doesn't always work and that's how you get Breshad Perriman instead of Shane Ray, or Matt Elam instead of DeAndre Hopkins, or Kindle instead of Dez Bryant.

These are just a few and there are times we've gotten steals by waiting but sometimes you must be aggressive to get what you want because others will. Obviously with all 3 top WR going in the top 10 there's little to do there in that instance. I don't really even fault the team for that this year; however, taking guys like Correa in the top of the second and expecting instant results seems very puzzling. Correa would've been our first pick back when we were competing and in the playoffs annually.
    That's something I have always tried to elude to. In the past there were numerous times I would of liked to see us move up to go get a guy that we really wanted instead of hanging back, waiting. But also, it depends on how we look at it compared to how the FO looks at it. We really don't know how the FO's board is set so we don't know if there were even players left that we wanted before our pick.

I think most will agree that the Correa pick is still kind of mind boggling. I am no scout or draft expert, but that year I was following college players pretty early on considering our season was over pretty quickly. These are all guys I would of taken before KC that were still on the board:

Derrick Henry
    Michael Thomas
    Nick Martin
    Cravens
    Cody Whitehair
    Yannick Ngakoue
    Tyler Boyd

Now some of them might not be as good as KC, but every single one of them produced more than KC last year, which isn't really saying that much.

Because Flacco is stealing from us right now and we invest most of our draft capital on defense. Players on their rookie scale make less.

Not that any of this matters it doesn't matter how much you spend it's about addressing holes. I don't really mind building around our defense. It actually makes a ton sense considering the deepness of last years draft. Get impact players where you can.

However, if Ozzie doesn't bring in capable starters at WR, OT, C and RB he deserves to be fired. They are still out there (WR not so much though Cruz is better then what we have). Our internal depth is crap. Then he and the rest of the staff deserve to be fired. I'm sorry but you can't continue to ignore holes on the roster and pretend they don't exist. Especially when it doesn't really require all that much to fix. Leaving the roster as it is -- is GM malpractice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    There is always an exception to a rule, which this isn't exactly a rule, its just a formula. You don't need WRs of great caliber to win, I get what your saying, but that's an exception, or at least in my opinion.
    There are examples of a team not needing great contribution from any number of positions, both offensive and defensive, to win.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There are examples of a team not needing great contribution from any number of positions, both offensive and defensive, to win.
    Yep.

8. Re: Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

You don't need great WRs, but you do need clutch ones.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    You don't need great WRs, but you do need clutch ones.
    Clutch as in guys that catch balls that hit them in the hands?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

10. Re: Ravens spend way more cap money on offense than defense

Remember Elway's WRs early in his career, how they weren't great but they came though for him during those 4th Qtr comebacks.
    Yeah, Joe's never had that.
    And Joe's cut from the same mold as Elway. Similar type of QBs.

Blog Entries

I'd settle for ones that atleast get their head around before the ball goes sailing by their ear holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MontibelloValhalla View Post
    When people give takes like this, it makes you ask, WTH you smoking? Flacco and Elway in the same sentence? Take off the purple shades, Joe can't sniff his jock.

Law Firm of McCauley, Dickey and McMillan.
    I see lots of similarities big strong arms held back by a head coach and hopefully once Joe gets away from Harbaugh he wins two rings to close out his career. But then again Joe's never taking a 55-10 ass whipping in a super bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk