Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Alex Lewis at C?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Cody Wallace is an interesting option. He's a very good run blocker and has sat behind Pouncey on the depth chart.

May be a waste given I'm not sure he's an ugprade over Jensen/Urschel, but another guy to think about.

I still think Austin Pasztor makes more sense as an option. He goes to RT and then Lewis plays LG or C if it makes sense.

Bring the rookies along slowly.
    There isn't a spot for Wallace unless he's replacing either Urshel or Jenson. They drafted 2 interior lineman. To bring another one it one of these guys has to go and it won't be either rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There isn't a spot for Wallace unless he's replacing either Urshel or Jenson. They drafted 2 interior lineman. To bring another one it one of these guys has to go and it won't be either rookie.
    I'd take Wallace over Jensen. Urschel seems to have more of a likelihood to be our C. At least we have a vet that's played the position for a while. At least that's something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    IIRC Urschel's problem was high shotgun snaps
    if he has corrected that tendency to sail an occasional one, he could be the frontrunner

Urschel's was in line for LG last year when a pre-season concussion gave Lewis the reps and Alex solidified the opportunity until he got injured
    When Lewis got injured, Yanda slidover to LG, and Vlad Ducasse was inserted @ RG. Vlad Ducasse! Neither Urschel or Jensen could beat him out. Also keep in mind that Zuttah was under-performing (pro bowl or not) and one of the two aforementioned gentlemen could have replaced him at any time. Obviously the Ravens powers that be thought neither was up to the task. So I'm not exactly thrilled by Urschel becoming our starting Center... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    When Lewis got injured, Yanda slidover to LG, and Vlad Ducasse was inserted @ RG. Vlad Ducasse! Neither Urschel or Jensen could beat him out. Also keep in mind that Zuttah was under-performing (pro bowl or not) and one of the two aforementioned gentlemen could have replaced him at any time. Obviously the Ravens powers that be thought neither was up to the task. So I'm not exactly thrilled by Urschel becoming our starting Center... Bc
    Understand what you are saying, and no real disagreement
    Just adding that Lewis missed a game Oct 2 (don't remember who started there)
    Then played Oct 9th
    Ducasse was signed Oct 11th and started Nov 10th
    Yanda had missed games on Oct 16 and on Oct 23 neither of which Ducasse started, Yanda also missed the game on Nov 10 which is the same game that Alex Lewis injured his ankle .... Ducasse also started that Nov 10th game replacing Yanda... when Yanda came back he was LG and Ducasse was RG because Lewis was out with a longer injury and Yanda needed the shoulder strain relief that the L side provided

Urschel started 10-9, 10-16, 10-23 ....
    Hurst also started 10-2 and 10-16
    Jensen started games on 10-2, 10-16, 10-23
    Rick Wagner missed the 10-16 game (NYG) hence Urschel, Hurst and Jensen started (Stanley, Yanda and Wagner were out)
    Stanley missed 10-2, 10-9, 10-16, 10-23
    Zuttah Played every game

Just suggesting that the weakest link starting was Zuttah.
    But he was the only healthy starter who played every game and we got rid of him.
    Urschel/Jensen/ and now Skura was in the plan to upgrade Zuttah, with the necessity of Zutah continuing to play, Ducasse made the line stronger at RG with Yanda's shoulder side switch.
    I'm still not clear on how the line will shake out but I'm not discounting Urschel based on Ducasse "beating" him out ... situation was a lot more muddled than that and he may not have been as able to make the switch from L to R side.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

But he was the only healthy starter who played every game and we got rid of him.
    Urschel/Jensen/ and now Skura was in the plan to upgrade Zuttah, with the necessity of Zutah continuing to play, Ducasse made the line stronger at RG with Yanda's shoulder side switch.
    I'm still not clear on how the line will shake out but I'm not discounting Urschel based on Ducasse "beating" him out ... situation was a lot more muddled than that and he may not have been as able to make the switch from L to R side.
    Whatever technicalities existed, Urschel was already in his 3rd year as a Raven. Many had high hopes for him becoming a starter (somewhere) on the Oline. He may seem OK as a back-up, but IMO has over-all disappointed. I'd like to add that even though he was a 5th round draft choice, it doesn't mean we shouldn't have some expectations. Obviously I hope he wins the starting Center position and thrives. I just wouldn't bet on it... Bc

Blog Entries

Even if Lewis has learned the position to a degree, there is a vast difference being taught it at one point years ago, going away from it for same, and coming back to it at the highest level. It's possible that it could pay dividends down the road if they stick to it. However, it doesn't do anything for 2017, in my opinion.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I think the talk from Harbaugh about Lewis playing Center is smoke designed to get Mangold to sign, either sign earlier than Mangold wants to, or sign for less than Mangold currently wants. I think a deal will be done.

I would guess the line to shape up: Stanley-competition-Mangold-Yanda-Lewis

This will be a very good line if Mangold and Yanda are healthy.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

8. Re: Alex Lewis at C?

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    And what's the back up plan if the practice squad guys are not NFL caliber lineman?

Then played Oct 9th
    Yanda had missed games on Oct 16 and on Oct 23 neither of which Ducasse started, Yanda also missed the game on Nov 10 which is the same game that Alex Lewis injured his ankle .... Ducasse also started that Nov 10th game replacing Yanda... when Yanda came back he was LG and Ducasse was RG because Lewis was out with a longer injury and Yanda needed the shoulder strain relief that the L side provided

Rick Wagner missed the 10-16 game (NYG) hence Urschel, Hurst and Jensen started (Stanley, Yanda and Wagner were out)
    Zuttah Played every game

Wow. Did not realize just how injury riddled the Oline was last year. Great Post! I am discounting every individual performance on the Oline last year. When you look at the injuries and you add in the mess at OC, it is no surprise that it was a bit of a mess. I also think Castillo was not a good fit for whatever reason. From the outside looking in it is very difficult to know what to think of the Oline. We will get an idea of what the coaching staff thinks if they start signing some vets like Mangold and/or Dunlap.

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    I think the talk from Harbaugh about Lewis playing Center is smoke designed to get Mangold to sign, either sign earlier than Mangold wants to, or sign for less than Mangold currently wants. I think a deal will be done.

I would guess the line to shape up: Stanley-competition-Mangold-Yanda-Lewis

This will be a very good line if Mangold and Yanda are healthy.

Smoke for Mangold huh? Who came up with that tag line Eugene Monroe?

What is the manlove for Mangold? He was the 25th ranked Center last year, Zuttah was ranked 13th and he wasn't good enough.

So suddenly Mangold volts from 25th rated up to say top 5 ? Just don't see it.

Then played Oct 9th

Zuttah Played every game

Great post! Eisenburg made a point with the seeming new emphasis he says the Ravens have on getting size. Seems like a consequence of going with the zone scheme was getting smaller, and the smaller guys getting beat up by the big D-linemen in the NFL.

Sounds like the team is getting sick of it. Go back to power football and be the bully rather than the bullied.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sawraven1 View Post
    Smoke for Mangold huh? Who came up with that tag line Eugene Monroe?

What is the manlove for Mangold? He was the 25th ranked Center last year, Zuttah was ranked 13th and he wasn't good enough.

So suddenly Mangold volts from 25th rated up to say top 5 ? Just don't see it.
    He was injured. Before the last two seasons he was the top center in football. He's had more pro bowls and as many all pros as Yanda (while missing less time in his career then Yanda)