Page 169 of 330 FirstFirst ... 167168169170171 ... LastLast
Results 2,017 to 2,028 of 3951

Re: 2018 Draft Thread -- because the "off-season" is when you get better!!!

Any thoughts on Justin Reid as a free safety?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Barkley saw 8+ six times. Sixteen percent of all of Barkley's run netted negative yds.
    Six times TOTAL??

What's the negative yards pctg for Guice?

I very much get a Jabril Peppers vibe with Barkley. Super-hyped Big 10 "workout freak" whose production doesn't match his hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I very much get a Jabril Peppers vibe with Barkley. Super-hyped Big 10 "workout freak" whose production doesn't match his hype.
    Peppers was a known tweener coming out where a lot of people felt he'd need a really creative DC to get high value out of him. He had a lot of hype as a college defender, but I don't think he was hyped much in the draft...most people had him as a second round guy. Browns just are the Browns.

Barkley is the truth...not sure how someone could say his production doesn't match the hype. He averaged about 6 ypc rushing, had 54 receptions for over 11 yards per reception (probably would be draftable if he was just a WR, that's how good he has been in the passing game) and returned 2 of 15 KR's for touchdowns.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blurb from PFF on RB Rashaad Penny, San Diego State:

"Penny was one of the most explosive running backs in the nation in 2017 and few players were able to generate as much production on their own. Penny forced 86 missed tackles as a runner, which ranked No. 1 among all FBS draft-eligible running backs. Penny also generated a disgustingly high 4.46 yards after contact per attempt. Penny is a breakaway threat who had 35 runs of 15 or more yards, No. 1 among all FBS draft-eligible running backs. Penny played 32 snaps in the slot and nine snaps out at wide receiver, and showed during Senior Bowl week that he can be a factor in the pass game. Penny won 67 percent of his pass route one-on-ones during the Senior Bowl practices and during the game he had a 73-yard touchdown including 57 yards coming with his speed and ability after the catch. Penny can make an impact as a ball carrier, receiver, and returner. Penny is a deadly kick returner with seven career touchdown returns and a 29.7-yard average per return. Penny also had one punt return touchdown in 2017."

I would love this guy but doubt he will last until our third round pick. I would move up in the third to get him, wouldn't cost as much as moving up in the second round.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Peppers was a known tweener coming out where a lot of people felt he'd need a really creative DC to get high value out of him. He had a lot of hype as a college defender, but I don't think he was hyped much in the draft...most people had him as a second round guy. Browns just are the Browns.

Barkley is the truth...not sure how someone could say his production doesn't match the hype. He averaged about 6 ypc rushing, had 54 receptions for over 11 yards per reception (probably would be draftable if he was just a WR, that's how good he has been in the passing game) and returned 2 of 15 KR's for touchdowns.
    Here are Barkley's noteable stats :

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/saquon-barkley/

Most impressive indeed. If I were the Browns GM, he would be my 1st choice. There's still talent @ #4, but I don't think Barkley would last until then... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Six times TOTAL??

What's the negative yards pctg for Guice?
    Yup. Six times, averaging 2 ypc.

Writer used "rarely" WRT Guice losing yardage, which is "wow"-worthy based on the great frequency that opponents stacked the box against him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...bs/a6fjmrs/#//
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

According to NFL draft insider Tony Pauline, the 49ers are one of several teams high on Oklahoma State WR Marcell Ateman.

The Niners struggled in the red zone last season, and Ateman (6'4/220) would add size in scoring position. Per Pauline, Ateman is likely to improve his stock at the Scouting Combine with a forty time in the 4.45 range and 40-plus-inch vertical after training with ex-Olympian Michael Johnson before the draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    According to NFL draft insider Tony Pauline, the 49ers are one of several teams high on Oklahoma State WR Marcell Ateman.

The Niners struggled in the red zone last season, and Ateman (6'4/220) would add size in scoring position. Per Pauline, Ateman is likely to improve his stock at the Scouting Combine with a forty time in the 4.45 range and 40-plus-inch vertical after training with ex-Olympian Michael Johnson before the draft.
    What round is he projected in I’ve seen some third round talk. He looks good from what I saw while watching film on Washington

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    What round is he projected in I’ve seen some third round talk. He looks good from what I saw while watching film on Washington

Some of those Ateman TDs were Mike Evans-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I think you misremember the Peppers hype. He was talked about as a top-5 prospect in the draft for much of the season. It wasn't until after the season, when people started really digging into the tape and the numbers that people realized he really was a tweener.

BPR pointed out very succinctly one way his production didn't match the hype. For all the narrative about how he was the entire PSU team, teams didn't stack the box against him. He ran in a spread system against light fronts. 5.9 ypc is nothing special in his situation, or at the college level in general. Penny averaged 7.8. Love averaged 8.1. Sony Michel 7.9. Josh Adams 6.9. I'm not getting why yards per reception matters, at all, when evaluating a RB prospect. For a college running back, that's mostly determined by system and usage. Leveon Bell averaged 5.2 per reception his draft year. Christian McCaffrey 8.4. You also have to consider that this guy was shut down by the likes of Indiana and Rutgers his draft year. His stats in those games certainly don't justify the hype.

Look, the guy is a very good prospect iand is likely going to be a very good NFL running back. But lets slow down this hype train.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I think you misremember the Peppers hype. He was talked about as a top-5 prospect in the draft for much of the season. It wasn't until after the season, when people started really digging into the tape and the numbers that people realized he really was a tweener.

BPR pointed out very succinctly one way his production didn't match the hype. For all the narrative about how he was the entire PSU team, teams didn't stack the box against him. He ran in a spread system against light fronts. 5.9 ypc is nothing special in his situation, or at the college level in general. Penny averaged 7.8. Love averaged 8.1. Sony Michel 7.9. Josh Adams 6.9. I'm not getting why yards per reception matters, at all, when evaluating a RB prospect. For a college running back, that's mostly determined by system and usage. Leveon Bell averaged 5.2 per reception his draft year. Christian McCaffrey 8.4. You also have to consider that this guy was shut down by the likes of Indiana and Rutgers his draft year. His stats in those games certainly don't justify the hype.

Look, the guy is a very good prospect iand is likely going to be a very good NFL running back. But lets slow down this hype train.
    Id say the difference would be how pathetic his OL was. They didnt need to stack the box to get effective pressure. The games I saw, Barkley was constantly making players miss in the backfield just to get positive yards. His OL seemed over matched every single game/play and it took his superior ability to get the production he did, not a system, not a great OL. Hes not perfect, but I think how bad his OL was, is greatly overlooked. That led to some inconsistency, but overall his ability is on that special level. Hell be a better pro than college player, imo, and the reasoning being that the worst OL in the pros is still more consistent and competitive than what I saw from his college OL.
    -JAB