Page 207 of 208 FirstFirst ... 205206207208 LastLast
Results 2,473 to 2,484 of 2485
    Blog Entries

Re: Post-Draft Around the League (non Ravens news)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Athletes can kneel all day about whatever they want. I personally feel this whole thing is completely overblown and just one more thing for people to get offended about. And guess what? Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. They're still going to play football. They're still going to make a ridiculous amount of money. Owners are still going to be hand over fist billionaires. And the fans that are so offended by some 20-something kid are still going to plop their fat asses down in a stadium, drink beer, and root for "their team" to win.

Athletes by and large aren't changing communities or politics for the same reasons that no one really gives a shit about what Meryl Streep has to say when she accepts her next award. They're not the ones with power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These athletes have a huge impact on the African American community and their actions hold weight. Athletes are indeed changing communities. Marshawn Lynch and Derrick Mason literally built homes. Dikembe Mutumbo built hospitals. Kaepernick himself has donated to charities and put together charities to provide clothes for the less fortunate. There are areas of the country where their words and actions ring hallow, but there are indeed communities where their words and actions hold weight and this is making a big difference. It's getting the youth of many communities to wake up and start talking about social issues and politics, developing an understanding of how important they are. Their composure is showing many youths the old adage that you can catch more bees with honey than shit. In the face of some of the unfortunately poor decisions by some to be destructive, they have stood up and showed that calm and composure is what's truly necessary to breakdown these social barriers. Their voices are indeed being heard.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    Again, props to Ex. Also Jenkins has driven around with Philly cops to try and get a different perpspective. Still holding that fist high.
    Kaepernick has also spoken to police. As has Richard Sherman, if I'm not mistaken. About trying to bridge the disconnect between law enforcement and many of these communities. These are the building blocks that are needed and now that the people are seeing that it matters so much to those who will still wake up tomorrow rich, it is speaking volumes. Britt said it himself, that in that locker room they are equal, but it feels like once they leave they aren't. Money doesn't change that as much as people think.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Well said Excellector, never thought I'd say that but... That post was spot on.

Any chance we can get away from this discussion in here now?

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    It's actually a lie he condemned the Nazis and KKK repeatedly and unconditionally.
    He took his sweet time doing it though

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    they have to respond...

6 of top 10 tv shows lad week were nfl games or shows.

RELAX

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    What is the honest discussion that's not happening that you're referring to?
    Whether or not aliens exist.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    These athletes have a huge impact on the African American community and their actions hold weight. Athletes are indeed changing communities. Marshawn Lynch and Derrick Mason literally built homes. Dikembe Mutumbo built hospitals. Kaepernick himself has donated to charities and put together charities to provide clothes for the less fortunate. There are areas of the country where their words and actions ring hallow, but there are indeed communities where their words and actions hold weight and this is making a big difference. It's getting the youth of many communities to wake up and start talking about social issues and politics, developing an understanding of how important they are. Their composure is showing many youths the old adage that you can catch more bees with honey than shit. In the face of some of the unfortunately poor decisions by some to be destructive, they have stood up and showed that calm and composure is what's truly necessary to breakdown these social barriers. Their voices are indeed being heard.
    I said a majority, which doesn't mean all of them. I am fully aware that Marshawn Lynch does a tremendous amount in Oakland. He's not the norm though. Including practice squad players there are close to 2,000 players in the NFL. If you add the coaching staff from each team and front office, it's probably closer to 3,000 or even more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The even do little things. All Ravens fans should remember Big Ed's Band. Edwin Mulitalo hearing about cutbacks to the Baltimore city school music programs decided to make a difference. Music is a very important part of Polynesian culture and the idea that these kids wouldn't have instruments was too much. He formed the Big Ed's Band foundation which worked with schools to get them instruments and continue the music departs.

That was probably 15 years ago but I've never forgotten it. I'm sure many of those kids haven't either. That's just one example that comes to mind of great civic minded player who wasn't even a star player. He was just a guy is the position to make a difference and he did.

Blog Entries

I actually think that these social issues are going to ultimately be the downfall of forums like RSR.

So, Tony is probably going to take the hit.

Blog Entries

Not to mention it ruins my favorite thread

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I actually think that these social issues are going to ultimately be the downfall of forums like RSR.
    I respectfully disagree. We can still talk football and sports while we still have the luxury. Reality is that climate change and/or nuclear war (endless war - USA! USA!) will be the downfall of our society for our children but damn them social issues is divisive! When do we agree that the economic inequality is at it worst since the Gilded Age? When do we agree that institutional racism is an actual thing?! When do we ever talk about the politics of mass incarceration? I get that we all love football and some don't want to talk politics on here but there are important issues we should be easily unifying around for in order to save poor and racially oppressed, much less the future of our species...but privilege and class comfort makes "everybody" too "uncomfortable"

Sweeping problems under the rug never solves social issues - i.e. economic, political, cultural, racial etc. - and willful ignorance has put us here to where nutjobs like Trump (and his supporters) actively would deny climate change in the face of hurricanes and fire seasons that do more damage by the year. Y'all would argue the earth is still flat for that sleezebag...

But yeah...sports!!! I mean come on I love sports for the distraction too but when we gonna wake up and hold corporations and the military accountable as it is those two entities who drive public policy for us, certainly not us taxpayers (see GOP healthcare zombie being pushed by the industry despite taxpayer constituency's overwhelming disapproval). Folks think gov't broken but it's big business and the military that has always driven American politics and I'd kindly argue that it's not sustainable. Our citizens are broken which is why we'd vote that psychopath into office.

So, we as a collective race of human beings are probably going to take the hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not to mention it ruins my favorite thread
    Of course. Because even though the topic might be worthy of discussion, the time, place, or manner of the discussion may not be appropriate.