Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What's the plan to fill out the offense?

Are there any options on the trade block for WRs? We could do with trade similar to the Boldin one a few year ago, maybe Jordan Matthews?

I love our draft so far because we've gotten tremendous value at every pick. They happen to be defenders, but I don't really see any way they could have gotten more talented players at each spot. Basically out of one first, one second, and two thirds, they got: a top 10 caliber pick, two top 30 caliber picks, and a top 40 caliber pick. That's tremendous.

I'm not even concerned about WR. Mike Wallace is our #1 and there's young talent to compete for #2 as well as veteran options in the event no one stands out in camp. Given our depth and talent at TE and Woodhead out of the backfield, I'm not concerned about who's making the catches.

OL is in full panic mode though. Basically you have 2 good players in Stanley and Yanda. Beyond that, Alex Lewis looks like he's a long-term keeper but he could regress in year 2 particularly if (as is likely) he is moved to RT.

Beyond that, there is nothing. Urschel couldn't beat out one of the worst linemen in the league in Vlad Ducasse, so he would seem to be out of the question as a contributor. So there is quite literally no center on the roster at all. As for LG, Jensen would seem to be the starter by default, but he was a healthy scratch often last year, and his upside is probably league average at best.

This is shaping up to be the 3rd year in a row and 4th out of the last 5 that the Ravens appear to have to de-prioritized OL. Unsurprisingly, Flacco has been a below-average passer in 2013, 2015, and 2016 and the run game has been among the league's worst.

In my opinion, offensive line is the foundation of a successful football team, especially one without an All-Pro caliber QB. On paper, as we sit here and now, the Ravens have a bottom-5 OL. I need to see at least the beginning of a plan in place in order to calm down about that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I love our draft so far because we've gotten tremendous value at every pick. They happen to be defenders, but I don't really see any way they could have gotten more talented players at each spot. Basically out of one first, one second, and two thirds, they got: a top 10 caliber pick, two top 30 caliber picks, and a top 40 caliber pick. That's tremendous.

I'm not even concerned about WR. Mike Wallace is our #1 and there's young talent to compete for #2 as well as veteran options in the event no one stands out in camp. Given our depth and talent at TE and Woodhead out of the backfield, I'm not concerned about who's making the catches.

OL is in full panic mode though. Basically you have 2 good players in Stanley and Yanda. Beyond that, Alex Lewis looks like he's a long-term keeper but he could regress in year 2 particularly if (as is likely) he is moved to RT.

Beyond that, there is nothing. Urschel couldn't beat out one of the worst linemen in the league in Vlad Ducasse, so he would seem to be out of the question as a contributor. So there is quite literally no center on the roster at all. As for LG, Jensen would seem to be the starter by default, but he was a healthy scratch often last year, and his upside is probably league average at best.

This is shaping up to be the 3rd year in a row and 4th out of the last 5 that the Ravens appear to have to de-prioritized OL. Unsurprisingly, Flacco has been a below-average passer in 2013, 2015, and 2016 and the run game has been among the league's worst.

In my opinion, offensive line is the foundation of a successful football team, especially one without an All-Pro caliber QB. On paper, as we sit here and now, the Ravens have a bottom-5 OL. I need to see at least the beginning of a plan in place in order to calm down about that fact.
    Mike Wallace is not a #1 WR. We don't know what we have in Perriman yet. We are worlds behind on the WR front

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Pretty good summary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Re: What's the plan to fill out the offense?

Sign Mangold to a 2 year deal that is bloated with incentives.

Trade for Jordan Matthews.

Draft:

WR
    Dupre
    Switzer

OL
    Banner
    Eluemunor
    Siragusa
    Asiata
    Toth

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

6. Re: What's the plan to fill out the offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I really have no idea what the plan for the offense is lol

I think I do. And people need to get over it. I get it, people want the Ravens to follow the trend. Basically, use 0, 10 and 11 personell the majority of the time and have Flacco pass the football 50 to 65 times a game. That's not going to happen and I think the hire of Roman is a part of that. Roman lined up in 11 personnel less than others. He's a trench guy. Uses extra lineman sets. His QB's tend to have high completion percentages and less turnovers. I think that's going to be our offense. Ground and pound with extra linemen, multiple TE sets. So you are not going to see a lot of 0, 10, 11 personnell. I just wouldn't worry about it, they obviously have a plan for the type of offense they want to run.

Honestly think we should try trading Suggs for a comparable veteran tackle or receiver, and sign Mangold

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of OZ View Post
    I think I do. And people need to get over it. I get it, people want the Ravens to follow the trend. Basically, use 0, 10 and 11 personell the majority of the time and have Flacco pass the football 50 to 65 times a game. That's not going to happen and I think the hire of Roman is a part of that. Roman lined up in 11 personnel less than others. He's a trench guy. Uses extra lineman sets. His QB's tend to have high completion percentages and less turnovers. I think that's going to be our offense. Ground and pound with extra linemen, multiple TE sets. So you are not going to see a lot of 0, 10, 11 personnell. I just wouldn't worry about it, they obviously have a plan for the type of offense they want to run.
    How do you run extra lineman sets when you don't even have five decent ones?
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

What's the plan to fill out the offense?

You know I think I figured it out lastnight, this team has a two year plan this year it's defense next year is offense. It just makes sense. We are not there yet we weren't going to be this year either but we have some nice pieces to build on with a two year plan and year three will be a make or break year for this whole coaching staff and front office. That's why I'm telling people if we fail to make another playoff run in 2017 don't get mad when everyone is still here. This was not one season fix.

Last edited by Jsmoove; 04-29-2017 at 10:48 AM.

10. Re: What's the plan to fill out the offense?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    How do you run extra lineman sets when you don't even have five decent ones?
    You think the Bills had Great OL? Roman had the #1 rushing attack with them. But keep staying in your negative bubble.

The Ravens have led the league in pass attempts the last 2 years and been bottom 5 in rushing yards, attempts, yards per carry, rushing TDs, rushing first downs, etc. etc... That doesn't support your theory at all. I don't know how much the hiring of Greg Roman changes that given Morninwheg is still OC.

As of right now, this is the worst OL group on paper since 2013, maybe even a bit worse given that Yanda is 4 years older. I've been a Flacco defender but he's playing the worst football of his career right now and has no run game whatsoever to take pressure off.

They may have a plan in place but I don't see evidence of that given the personnel currently on the roster

WR: Draft one in round 4. There are a few left that can be year 1 contributors, if we're lucky. Sign a really cheap vet to the minimum, maybe Cruz (Boldin isn't going to take that). Pray.
    OL: Draft a project. Cut Jensen and his non-guaranteed $1.79M. Use all the cap space on two starters. Role with Urschel as the C/G backup, the project, and Hurst as tackle backup (garbage but signed to $250K guaranteed).

OTC has the Ravens with $6M in cap space now. Jensen, Arrington and Watson cuts open up $7M more. Hopefully that's enough to sign the rookie class, and Mangold & Dunlap (or comparable). That would at least get my blood pressure back to normal. It's do-able. At least they don't need the money to pick up any vets on defense...

I think the Ravens wanted to keep Watson but they really need his $3M to go to an OL starter now. At least that will alleviate the roster crunch at TE. Maybe they can bring him back on vet min as well.