Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Offense still devoid of playmakers.

I won't say I'm upset with the pick of Marlon Humphrey at 16, but it seemed like a total luxury to me. They signed Brandon Carr, who is at least average, much better than the trash they've trotted out opposite Jimmy Smith going back to 2013. I think Smith, Carr, Young and a day two DB draft pick would've been fine. Hell, it's not like Dean Pees will know how to develop a corner back prospect any way.

In my opinion, they should've taken a TE with all the top receivers of the board. It's hard to see how the Ravens have a chance at matching up with good to average teams in a shoot out with the offensive skill position players that they have on the roster. It's ugly. This receiving corps looks like a fucking Peter Jackson film from the 1980s--and if Mike Wallace misses any time, it's over. I keep hearing a lot of Ravens fans say "They didn't take OJ Howard because they already have a bunch of tight ends on the roster!" Yes, that's true, but if you'd taken dude, you could've gotten rid of Pitta (basically a slot receiver), Gilmore (always injured), Watson (he's damn-near 40 coming off a MAJOR injury), and built around Williams who is still young and Nick Boyle who can block and catch. This may be a hyperbolic statement, but OJ Howard could've been that big time playmaking tight end here a la of Julius Thomas when he was with Denver. I'm fearing that the Ravens will never get Flacco a "beast" offensive weapon.

Re: Offense still devoid of playmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I won't say I'm upset with the pick of Marlon Humphrey at 16, but it seemed like a total luxury to me. They signed Brandon Carr, who is at least average, much better than the trash they've trotted out opposite Jimmy Smith going back to 2013. I think Smith, Carr, Young and a day two DB draft pick would've been fine. Hell, it's not like Dean Pees will know how to develop a corner back prospect any way.

In my opinion, they should've taken a TE with all the top receivers of the board. It's hard to see how the Ravens have a chance at matching up with good to average teams in a shoot out with the offensive skill position players that they have on the roster. It's ugly. This receiving corps looks like a fucking Peter Jackson film from the 1980s--and if Mike Wallace misses any time, it's over. I keep hearing a lot of Ravens fans say "They didn't take OJ Howard because they already have a bunch of tight ends on the roster!" Yes, that's true, but if you'd taken dude, you could've gotten rid of Pitta (basically a slot receiver), Gilmore (always injured), Watson (he's damn-near 40 coming off a MAJOR injury), and built around Williams who is still young and Nick Boyle who can block and catch. This may be a hyperbolic statement, but OJ Howard could've been that big time playmaking tight end here a la of Julius Thomas when he was with Denver. I'm fearing that the Ravens will never get Flacco a "beast" offensive weapon.
    :word

Good summary. Hopefully day 2 brings better outcomes for the offense.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Well hopefully potential playmakers or offensive contributors in general can be acquired in day 2.

I'm fearing that the Ravens will never get Flacco a "beast" offensive weapon.
    Next time I hear we cant have nice things on offense b/c flacco's contract Im gonna go Scott Steiner on someone.

The ravens brass trying to recreat 2000, minus the defensive coordinator, HOF players, strong offensive line, and elite RB. Good thing our schedule is really weak.

Honestly I think our offensive talent is now the very worst in the NFL. So we better have a 2000 defense

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Next time I hear we cant have nice things on offense b/c flacco's contract Im gonna go Scott Steiner on someone.

The ravens brass trying to recreat 2000, minus the defensive coordinator, HOF players, strong offensive line, and elite RB. Good thing our schedule is really weak.

Honestly I think our offensive talent is now the very worst in the NFL. So we better have a 2000 defense
    Our offense right now is pretty much Breshad Perriman or bust. That's scary as hell.

We've had one pick.

I would have been on board with Howard but they still have the whole draft and second part of free agency to find offensive players.

They have 3 premium selections next with our next 3 picks - if they don't select two offensive players with those picks then let's start to freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Our offense right now is pretty much Breshad Perriman or bust. That's scary as hell.
    Yup. They have a lot of faith in BP. Personally, so do I.

One thing that tells me people didn't watch Corey Davis' film is the amount of drops Davis had. Paritcualrly concentration drops which were the same as BP's.

I still wanted Davis because they can be cleaned up due to a lot of it being mental mistakes, but I do find it puzzling that someone that is concenred about BP's drops (probably his biggest weakness) wanted to trade our entire draft to move up for Corey Davis who has drop concerns.

Good article on it: http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/17/15...port-breakdown

Much like BP he has a really good ability to get open, just in different ways. Perriman has a good takeoff with great long distance speed. Davis is physical as hell and runs crystal clear routes. However, once they are open they both sturggle with the same frustrating concentration drop. The ones that make you just say WTF.

Like I said, that can be cleaned up due to the mental side of things causing a lot of it and that's why I still wanted Davis. But I do find it funny that people shit on Perriman for concentration drops yet wanted Davis so bad.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I thought Howard would have been a solid pick too - yeah we have a ton of TEs but he's supposed to be almost as much of a WR as TE and could definitely be considered a "weapon". However, I'm going to defer to Ozzie's judgement on this since he's a HoF tight end. Clearly there was something he didn't like there.

More and more I get the sense that the Ravens were in a tough spot. I think behind closed doors they would have preferred to have traded down a few spots over picking Humphrey at 16, but they couldn't get a good enough deal.

At any rate, I'm hoping we'll get a WR today, but of course we'll probably get a "stout" defensive lineman.

This represents my feelings exactly. I think there might be significant concern about Jimmy Smith's health (or at least his ability to move like he did before) that made the Humphrey pick look attractive but still an overdraft at 16. I still believe Howard is the type of TE who would have been a playmaker for Joe and I am glad he didn't end up with the Browns or Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Never have believed in Perriman (good speed, no hands)... but Mike Wallace? the TEs? Dixon & West carrying the rock? We could/should get more from Perriman, but his personal contribution doesn't make or break this offense. The OL needs to stay together all season, and we need a possession WR more than we need a Perriman highlight reel

Perriman gonna shine, the question is will Joe give us the highlandtown Dundalk Joe or is he comfortable being the greenspring valley, Annapolis waterfront Flacco!!!

I love how Ravens fans act like 1 draft pick is all the team gets
    Save a TE, The playmakers worthy of 1st round picks were long gone. The team has several holes to fill, all of which can't be covered by just a single off-season. But one of the holes was definitely the secondary. Ravens addressed that in round 1, and now have 3 picks tonight to address the other holes such as "playmakers".