Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Ozzie Tried to Trade

Apparently Ozzie tried to trade up to the teens and couldn't. The receivers were all gone so it must have been for Reddick, Barnett or Hooker. He also had offers to trade down and it wasn't enough to make him do it.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...e-0e3bbf19504d

With that said, Newsome began Thursday’s press conference by saying the Ravens’ war room got “a little hectic.” Baltimore tried to trade up, then had offers to trade back.

Due to an early run on offense, a slew of top defensive talents tumbled down the board. Eight of the first 12 picks were on offense, including three widouts and three quarterbacks. That was a bit surprising to the Ravens.

Suddenly, Temple linebacker Haason Reddick, Tennessee defensive end Derek Barnett and Ohio State safety Malik Hooker were all still on the board in the teens.

Newsome said he tried to trade up in the teens, but wasn’t willing to give up what was being asked for. It’s unclear which of those players, exactly, the Ravens wanted.

“We tried to trade up. We did,” Newsome said. “And it did not work out.”
    Once the Ravens were on the clock, they knew they wanted Humphrey. But several teams were calling to move up to pick No. 16. Always looking to add more picks, and with just seven in this year’s draft, Newsome was willing to listen for “an offer that we couldn’t refuse.”

Newsome said no team offered compensation that would be fair according to the NFL’s trade chart. The Ravens, meanwhile, were looking for an even sweeter deal than the chart would suggest.

The other problem was that the teams who wanted to move up were picking near the end of the first round. The Ravens didn’t really want to go back that far.

“We didn’t want to go back to a point where we didn’t feel we would get a player we would be comfortable with,” Newsome said. “So we weighed all of the options.”...

..“It’s definitely a need pick for us, but it’s also a player ranked higher than the pass rushers,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said.

Blog Entries

Re: Ozzie Tried to Trade

I could see that. Nobody expected the run on offense like we saw. Not upset about the pick. We filled a need. Let's see how tonight shakes out.

Does this appease the folks shaking their fist for not moving up?

It takes two to make a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Here is where I stand on this. Very often I have criticized Oz in recent years for not being aggressive enough, and I'm going to do it again now. I have no idea what was offered and what was asked for, so it could have been a situation where a team wanted something ridiculous for the 2-3 spot jump and in that case, of course you don't heavily overpay. But assuming they weren't asking for ridiculousness, I'd have been fine with overpaying a bit to move up and get the elite pass rush type they need. It is clear they valued one of those guys very highly to be trying to move up and grab them, which they rarely do in the 1st, it would have been nice for them to close the deal rather than settle, which is what it kind of feels like.

But again, no clue what say Philly was asking for. Could have been something stupid like a future first. And I like Humphrey well enough as it is, so won't be too critical now...just kind of feel shades of 2010 here, minus the trade down part that happened in that one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I could see that. Nobody expected the run on offense like we saw. Not upset about the pick. We filled a need. Let's see how tonight shakes out.
    How could people not see it. It's an offensive league. Skill players go higher and higher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    How could people not see it. It's an offensive league. Skill players go higher and higher.

Show me the mock drafts that had all 3 of those wide receivers going in the top 10. Offensive league or not, no one saw that happening.

Blog Entries

Ozzie Tried to Trade

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Show me the mock drafts that had all 3 of those wide receivers going in the top 10. Offensive league or not, no one saw that happening.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-d...asserly/350708 not top 10 but all gone by the Ravens
    Except the consensus top 5 TE

Blog Entries

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-d...asserly/350708 not top 10 but all gone by the Ravens
    Except the consensus top 5 TE

That close to the Ravens they're at least reasonable trade targets. Where they went they're not. Did you want to give up next years #1 and a 3rd for John Ross? By pick 2 in the draft Mayock already admitted his whole prediction for this draft was blown. Things didn't work out the way most of us hoped but I can't blame Ozzie or the Ravens for that.

The teams fortunes aren't determined by the 1st round pick anyway. There is a lot of draft to go and some very players left. If on Sunday we don't have a decent WR prospect I'll join the boos but it's only 1 pick in and way too early for that.

Lol, the consensus mock drafts were very defensive heavy with the 1 of the 3 WR's falling to us most of the time.

You respond wiht one mock draft and say "how could people not see it". Classic.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

That close to the Ravens they're at least reasonable trade targets. Where they went they're not. Did you want to give up next years #1 and a 3rd for John Ross? By pick 2 in the draft Mayock already admitted his whole prediction for this draft was blown. Things didn't work out the way most of us hoped but I can't blame Ozzie or the Ravens for that.

The teams fortunes aren't determined by the 1st round pick anyway. There is a lot of draft to go and some very players left. If on Sunday we don't have a decent WR prospect I'll join the boos but it's only 1 pick in and way too early for that.
    :word
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I would have taken Howard at that point. Which then with out a doubt lets you get rid of slot of the mediocre and old and often injured Tight Ends

Couldn't agree any more. I think it was a very solid pick and one that we will be praising when Jimmy (likely) misses a few games.

With Jimmy, Carr, Humphrey, Tavon, Jefferson, Weddle, and Webb, we have the strongest secondary we've had since the mid 2000's.