Pocket Knives in the U.K.

Quick question for gents.

Are pocket knives like the one below legal to carry in the U.K.? I've traveled to Germany and Italy with this knife and didn't have an issue but wanted to make sure this was legal in the U.K. before I make the trip in the fall for the game.

I've read the .gov web site and I seem to be in the clear but I've had friends tell me everything from it's completely illegal to carry a pocket knife is common. It's a pocket knife with a folding blade that measures 2.5 inches long.

Above all else, I want to make sure I'm respectful of the laws and customs in your fine country.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Pocket Knives in the U.K.

Sorry HR, don't check in this subforum that often.

As you have said, technically I believe you would be OK: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

However in reality I would absolutely expect you would be having a serious conversation with a police officer if you were to be seen/found carrying that around. You'd probably get away with the tourist/self defense angle but be told to leave it in the hotel next time.

Highly unlikely that you'd be stopped for any reason though of course. Any particular reason you feel you'd need it while over here?
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ctulb View Post
    Sorry HR, don't check in this subforum that often.

As you have said, technically I believe you would be OK: https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

However in reality I would absolutely expect you would be having a serious conversation with a police officer if you were to be seen/found carrying that around. You'd probably get away with the tourist/self defense angle but be told to leave it in the hotel next time.

Highly unlikely that you'd be stopped for any reason though of course. Any particular reason you feel you'd need it while over here?
    Thanks for the frank response. I don't 'need' it per se, but would like to have it with me since I will be out late at night and, while London is a relatively safe city, it does have its share of street crime.

I've had folks tell me its common for people to carry pocket knives just as often as someone telling me its taboo and forbidden. Just trying to get some clarity.

Hi.
    I'm a very long time lurker, I love reading the boards, but rarely have i been able to contribute anything more than somebody has already said first. But. I wanted to reply before you get yourself arrested in the UK! :)
    Short Answer is NO!!

If it's for work or something practical, like in a tool case or something related to your job, or a cycle multi-tool if you were on a bike, then you are fine, if it's for defence, then it's not.

A couple of years ago our friend from boonsboro was over in the UK with us for a few days, we took him on a quick one day tour of london, getting onto the london eye a guy in front of us was searched, he was carrying a small pocket knife, only a 3" blade, he was asked what it was for, he said for safety and was told "If you are carrying this around with the slightest intent to cause harm, i should call the police right now, if you want to leave it in this box here and forget that you had it, then we can both forget this has happened".

It's pretty safe in any of the main areas of london, you won't need it. leave it at home.

Btw, thanks for years of entertaining reading, i should really get involved properly now!

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Thanks for the frank response. I don't 'need' it per se, but would like to have it with me since I will be out late at night and, while London is a relatively safe city, it does have its share of street crime.
    Understood and sorry if my post came across too frank - I don't mean to make light of your concerns and there are certainly areas of London you'd rather not be. However I would be very surprised if you ran into any problems during your stay - where are you planning on staying?

I've had folks tell me its common for people to carry pocket knives just as often as someone telling me its taboo and forbidden. Just trying to get some clarity.
    I know of very few areas in the UK it'd be considered common for people to carry knives, and with the game at Wembley I doubt you'll be anywhere near any of them.
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"