Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Korea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

North Korea

So what's the deal here?

We're sending a carrier to the region, I guess as a show of force?

Any predictions on what happens? I'm going to guess China steps in and reigns in the fat boy.

Thoughts?

Re: North Korea

Until he has missiles that can hit the US, NK is largely China's problem, not ours.

The carrier group going to the region is something that's done almost every year around this time. They do some kind of national pride parade each year and always accompany it with some sort of weapons test. It's thought that this year, they will detonate another nuke. I'd be shocked if we actually attacked NK ..... but then again, who knows with Trump.

We'd crush NK in a week if we really wanted to.

Blog Entries

North Korea

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Until he has missiles that can hit the US, NK is largely China's problem, not ours.

The carrier group going to the region is something that's done almost every year around this time. They do some kind of national pride parade each year and always accompany it with some sort of weapons test. It's thought that this year, they will detonate another nuke. I'd be shocked if we actually attacked NK ..... but then again, who knows with Trump.

We'd crush NK in a week if we really wanted to.
    NK can't really hurt us yet, but they can do tons of damage to South Korea. Seoul is within artillery range of NK. NK has reportedly over 40k artillery pieces that can hit Seoul. There are over 10 million people who live in Seoul, South Korea. NK also has nuclear armed missiles that can hit Japan. If NK did heavy damage to South Korea and Japan, that isn't something I would take lightly.

Uniting NK and SK into one pro-US country would require large numbers of ground troops. If we tried to do that, it would almost certainly mean a war with China and maybe Russia too. That would be a big boy war, and would pretty much mean WWIII. This is a very dangerous situation, so bombing NK would be nothing like bombing Syria.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

North Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    NK can't really hurt us yet, but they can do tons of damage to South Korea. Seoul is within artillery range of NK. NK has reportedly over 40k artillery pieces that can hit Seoul. There are over 10 million people who live in Seoul, South Korea. NK also has nuclear armed missiles that can hit Japan. If NK did heavy damage to South Korea and Japan, that isn't something I would take lightly.

Uniting NK and SK into one pro-US country would require large numbers of ground troops. If we tried to do that, it would almost certainly mean a war with China and maybe Russia too. That would be a big boy war, and would pretty much mean WWIII. This is a very dangerous situation, so bombing NK would be nothing like bombing Syria.

I never claimed it would be like bombing Syria. None of what you say here changes the equation. If we chose to, we could wipe NK off the map in very little time. Now I'm not saying it's likely to happen or anything. I'm simply saying that compared to their military, ours is light years ahead of theirs.

And no, it wouldn't mean war with China or Russia. China is every bit dependent on us as we are on them. And Russia could give two shits about NK.

Blog Entries

China just refused a shipment of coal from NK, and will buy from US(way to go Trump) so hopefully that's a start as far as China putting some pressure on NK to knock it off. Trouble is, Kim Jong Un is nuts and who knows what he will do.

https://investmentwatchblog.com/chin...-coal-instead/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I never claimed it would be like bombing Syria. None of what you say here changes the equation. If we chose to, we could wipe NK off the map in very little time. Now I'm not saying it's likely to happen or anything. I'm simply saying that compared to their military, ours is light years ahead of theirs.

And no, it wouldn't mean war with China or Russia. China is every bit dependent on us as we are on them. And Russia could give two shits about NK.
    You are dreaming if you think that NK would not retaliate to a attack from us, the way that Syria didn't retaliate. Of course we would win a war with just NK, but that isn't the point. We would win a war against any country in the world. NK would retaliate by doing a lot of harm to South Korea and Japan, which would prompt a further escalation from us. You are wrong if you think that China and Russia would just stand by and allow NK and SK to be united into a combined pro-US country.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    You are dreaming if you think that NK would not retaliate to a attack from us, the way that Syria didn't retaliate. Of course we would win a war with just NK, but that isn't the point. We would win a war against any country in the world. NK would retaliate by doing a lot of harm to South Korea and Japan, which would prompt a further escalation from us. You are wrong if you think that China and Russia would just stand by and allow NK and SK to be united into a combined pro-US country.

Again, your putting words in my mouth. I never once said that NK wouldn't retaliate. I have little doubt they'd try to do something, mostly to South Korea.

Their ballistics missiles can barely reach Japan, let alone reach it with accuracy. Japan and SK are close enough to where they couldn't use their nukes. They would simply be screwing themselves if they let off a nuke. Not to mention, we'd obliterate them the second they spin up their nukes anyway.

Their only course of action is conventional warfare and they know it. All this saber-rattling isn't doing a thing but making them look bad and boosting Un's ego. NK has been a thorn in the side of China and Russia isn't any sort of ally to Un. Neither would lose sleep if this turd got smoked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So what's the deal here?

Any predictions on what happens? I'm going to guess China steps in and reigns in the fat boy.

Thoughts?
    Show of force. I've got some friends on that carrier strike group.

I mean, if fat boy wants to play fuck around...he's got to know that they're not going to last long. They have a big military, but they have very little infrastructure to actually withstand a war. If South Korea wanted to, they'd wipe Kim Jung Un off the map.

I do think that NK is basically China's dog. They manipulate the situation and use NK as a distraction point. I recently watched a documentary about how NK actually generates revenue and one of the top ways they do it is through cyber attacks against South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, the US, and so on. I find this interesting because NK doesn't actually have access to the internet...

They have an inTRAnet, which is basically nothing but NK websites and IP space with NK propaganda. So, anyone "surfing the web" in NK isn't actually on the web as we know it. There are ways around that, but those that are caught bypassing NK's intranet and accessing the open internet are punished severely.

What I'm getting at here is it would be pretty challenging for NK to develop a CNO/CNE capability without having help...IMO, the Chinese have been helping them in that regard for a long time. Similar to Iranians helping Syria and other ME-based cyber threats.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So what's the deal here?

Thoughts?
    I'm hopeful that NK doesn't put any weapons anywhere near that carrier group because I think this administration will respond to any provocation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I'm hopeful that NK doesn't put any weapons anywhere near that carrier group because I think this administration will respond to any provocation.

If he fires missiles at a carrier group, then this administration SHOULD respond. There is a difference between a show of force and actually shooting at someone.

Like I said, I'm former Navy. I've got friends on those ships. If that shit stain fires missiles at that carrier group, then he deserves to be lit up.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If he fires missiles at a carrier group, then this administration SHOULD respond. There is a difference between a show of force and actually shooting at someone.

Like I said, I'm former Navy. I've got friends on those ships. If that shit stain fires missiles at that carrier group, then he deserves to be lit up.
    Oh, I completely agree. I'm more nervous about things like when NK responded to ammo from the us/sk exercises hitting their side of the water by shelling an island, but in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

:word